[Czechlist] TERMs: jednatel spolecnosti versus vykonny reditel

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
      Zdravim vsechny:

      rad bych slysel vice nazoru na klasicky problem: preklad oznaceni
      podnikovych funkci. Konkretne mi jde o funcke "jednatel spolecnosti" a
      "vykonny reditel".

      Diky predem za prispevky...

    • Stephan von Pohl
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
        Ugh! I hate the jednatel.

        For "vykonni reditel" I go with "executive director".

        For "jednatel" I have alternatingly used "company agent" or "executive
        officer"

        Steve

        On 7/27/2011 9:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
        > Zdravim vsechny:
        >
        > rad bych slysel vice nazoru na klasicky problem: preklad oznaceni
        > podnikovych funkci. Konkretne mi jde o funcke "jednatel spolecnosti" a
        > "vykonny reditel".
        >
        > Diky predem za prispevky...
        >
        > Jirka Bolech

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
          I think "executive officer" is best for jednatel, since company agent
          could be someone outside the company.

          Valerie

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
            What happened to the good old managing director for jednatel??

            To me, it's the same as translating bytove druzstvo - it's a
            Czech-specific concept and the translation is almost always intended
            for audience in or having something to do with the Czech Rep., so
            there's no point in inventing translations that sound good and/or exist
            in other countries (because bytove druzstvo as such does not)...

            I've always used managing director for jednatel of an s.r.o., remember,
            a jednatel has (but doesn't have to have) the right to sign documents
            and contracts for the company and he/she may or may not actually run
            the company (i.e. be an executive anything)... I personally think
            managing director is vague enough to cover all of that and established
            enough in Cz to ENg translations (and within the context of Czech Rep)
            to be a good solution, but then maybe I just got used to it...

            Is there a problem with 'managing director' that non-native ears may
            not detect?

            Matej
            > I think "executive officer" is best for jednatel, since company agent
            >could be someone outside the company.
            >
            >Valerie
            >
            >On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 09:16 +0200, Stephan von Pohl wrote:
            >>
            >> Ugh! I hate the jednatel.
            >>
            >> For "vykonni reditel" I go with "executive director".
            >>
            >> For "jednatel" I have alternatingly used "company agent" or
            >> "executive
            >> officer"
            >>
            >> Steve
            >>
            >> On 7/27/2011 9:05 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
            >> > Zdravim vsechny:
            >> >
            >> > rad bych slysel vice nazoru na klasicky problem: preklad oznaceni
            >> > podnikovych funkci. Konkretne mi jde o funcke "jednatel
            >spolecnosti"
            >> > "vykonny reditel".
            >> >
            >> > Diky predem za prispevky...
            >> >
            >> > Jirka Bolech

            >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6327
            >(20110726) __________

            >http://www.eset.cz/

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
              Only that I had thought a jednatel did always have the right to execute,
              i.e. deal/sign on behalf of the company.

              On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 09:08 +0000, Matej Klimes wrote:

              > What happened to the good old managing director for jednatel??
              >
              > To me, it's the same as translating bytove druzstvo - it's a
              > Czech-specific concept and the translation is almost always intended
              > for audience in or having something to do with the Czech Rep., so
              > there's no point in inventing translations that sound good and/or
              > exist
              > in other countries (because bytove druzstvo as such does not)...
              >
              > I've always used managing director for jednatel of an s.r.o.,
              > remember,
              > a jednatel has (but doesn't have to have) the right to sign documents
              > and contracts for the company and he/she may or may not actually run
              > the company (i.e. be an executive anything)... I personally think
              > managing director is vague enough to cover all of that and
              > established
              > enough in Cz to ENg translations (and within the context of Czech
              > Rep)
              > to be a good solution, but then maybe I just got used to it...
              >
              > Is there a problem with 'managing director' that non-native ears may
              > not detect?
              >
              > Matej

            • Stephan von Pohl
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
                Exactly. To my native English ears "managing director" sounds like he is
                a manager at the company and directs company affairs (whereas the
                jednatel is/does neither). "Executive" doesn't necessarily sound like he
                (or she) is the CEO, but merely that he has executive powers, i.e., the
                power to execute/act in the company's name, as Valerie wrote.

                Martin Chroma's legal dictionary translates jednatel it as "company
                agent" (US) and "director" (UK), but to be honest, I don't always trust
                Czech-English dictionaries, and in this case I would avoid the word
                "director". Curious to hear what UK people have to say about it.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2011
                  Thanks guys for all your answers, Steve, Valerie, and Matej,

                  It seems like "executive officer" is winning as a translation for
                  "jednatel spolecnosti" while "executive director" could be one for
                  "vykonny reditel".

                  It's inetersting to look at this:
                  http://www.proz.com/kudoz/czech_to_english/economics/2389807-jednatel%C3%A9_spole%C4%8Dnosti.html.

                  I asked the person who had asked me this question about differences
                  between the two positions in practical terms. He tells me that a
                  "jednatel" is elected in an Annual General Meeting but may not do the
                  executive day-to-day management of the business and may only supervise
                  it as carried out by "vykonny reditel". There are of course businesses
                  with only one "jednatel" who is "vykonny reditel" as well.

                  Perhaps there'll still be some more input on this...

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 29, 2011
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:

                    > Perhaps there'll still be some more input on this...

                    Actually, we have been discussing this and similar questions since 1999. :-) Check out the archives, e.g.

                    FWIW a colleague who completed one of those 10,000 Kc courses in legal translation in Prague tells me that the legal people on the course, who deal with these matters on an everyday basis, go along inter alia with the suggestions for jednatel in the above message. :-)

                    Found three threads on this subject in ProZ too. :-)).

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2 1:05 PM
                      Hi Melvyn,

                      Thanks for your input too and sorry for responding with a delay.

                      I did fail to search Czechlist's archive. Frankly, I'm not sure what I
                      should make out of the discussion you've provided the link to. Perhaps
                      I'm not patient enough. By the way, I myself put a link to one of the
                      ProZ KudoZ dicussions on the topic of 'jednatel' only; a one whose
                      conclusion was 'jednatel' is 'executive director'.

                      I still see some ambiguity in the topic and it might be outright silly
                      to try to translate 'jednatel' in the first place; it could deserve a
                      new expression in English to convey this position relevantly but maybe
                      just a different approach in translating it. I find it strange when that
                      friend of mine, who asked me to help him with the translation of the two
                      expressions, explains to me that a 'jednatel' may not be necessarily
                      very 'executive' at all. Is he right?

                      I trust most 'jednatele' are pretty much executives but what's for
                      'vykonny reditel', then? I'm not sure if the topic has been discussed on
                      Czechlist in this light.

                      It's further interesting to see in web search that 'executive officer',
                      not preceded with 'chief', is not really used (much) in business context
                      in English speaking countries. Is this the justification of using it as
                      a translation of something as exotic as 'jednatel'?

                      'Vcil dumaj', should I resort to a dialect that sounds more expressive
                      than my ordinary mainstream Czech talk.

                      Anyway, I don't have any ambitions to recreate the wheel, so unless I
                      hear something better, I'll take 'jednatel' for 'executive officer' and
                      'vykonny reditel' for 'executive director'. I hope to at least go with
                      the crowd doing so although that's more an alibi than guarantee of
                      correctness...

                      Jirka Bolech

                      Guess I had a long while to waste...

                    • Jan Culka
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2 10:54 PM
                        Hi all,

                        musím ríct, ze s tímhle mám vzdy a znovu problém.
                        Vzdycky jsem si myslel, ze executive director nebo CEO je zamestnanec, kdezto jednatel = majitel (jeden z majitelu, podílníku).
                        Fakt je, ze v rade podniku u nás jsou tyto funkce kombinované (nás CEO je soucasne jediným jednatelem firmy).
                        Situaci mi komplikuje preklad podle rady C-A slovníku, kde jednatel = agent, coz vypadá jako nekdo, kdo je zástupcem pro nejaké druhy jednání, ale rozhodne nevypadá jako (spolu)majitel.
                        Tak jak z toho ven?
                        Honza

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3 2:04 AM
                          Jednatel muze ale nemusi byt majitelem. In English: he has been given
                          executive authority to act (hence the translation "agent") in the
                          company's name. I personally still prefer to place the emphasis on
                          "executive", as in "executive officer". The word agent, although it
                          conveys the sense of "acting" and "agency" sounds (to my ears) too much
                          like all the other agents we know: real estate agent, free agent (in
                          sports), secret agent, etc.

                          Steve