Re: Translation rate basis

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
      >In return, these big companies push their
      >subcontractors really very hard, including inquiries of their expenses,
      >pushing their price as low as they can get, and also try to set-up the
      >contract in the most advantageous way for themselves, and the least
      >advantageous way for contractors.

      Count me out. If they're going to own you body and soul anyway, let
      'em hire you as an employee and pay your health insurance and pension
      contributions.

      Just MHO. :-)

      Michael
    • Otto Pacholik
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 16, 2000
        > But,
        > to get a contract from such big company means to get high volume work
        > secured for several years.

        I think this is the most dangerous way how to run your business. This may
        lead to you dependence on one source of income. And consequently, you become
        more "flexible" to any request of your one (two, three) big multinational
        customers. I have always tried to avoid such situation. Once such customers
        drops you this might mean a couple of months before you recover from such
        loss. Of course, if you manage to have big volume customer it would be
        nonsense to let him go. However, I prefer to subcontract a part of my work
        (even if this means more proofreading for me), in order to both keep my
        customer satisfied and avoid my dependence on him.

        Just MHO

        Otto