Re: [Czechlist] HELP! TERM: CEO

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2000
      OK. Then your guy is not ejoying the benefits. He shall be forgiven :-). But
      anyway, CEO´s use in Czech is limited to a rather narrow group of officers
      and corporate staff. I would certainly avoid it in a plain speech.

      Martin

      Actually, I was surprised that such a nice man, who is so active in local
      Czech activities, has so little interest in contact with his homeland. I
      have to say in his defense that jobs like this announcer's gig are not
      something he actively chases after. He was more or less drafted and begged,
      because there was no native-born Czech male voice in the area that they
      could
      get, and he does an okay job. The work had to be done locally, so that we
      could sync the sound with the visuals correctly. The next thing they would
      have done would have been to ask ***ME*** to read the script, which I
      refused
      to do, since then the Czech would be like the English in the video you watch
      on tours of the Plzensky Prazdroj brewery -- clearly pronounced with a mild
      foreign accent, but with moments of unintelligibility when the announcer's
      rhythm gets strange.