Re: [Czechlist] take the paradigm

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
      I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
      US EN.

      Martin

      Dne 3.6.2011 9:40, Milos Prudek napsal(a):
      > On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
      > > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
      > > paradigm is this:
      >
      > My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace"
      > into
      > "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":
      >
      > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
      > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have
      > considered
      > in the past.”
      >
      > “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
      > novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”
      >
      > Is my translation wrong?
      >
      > Another more verbose possibility:
      > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
      > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly
      > možné.”
      >
      > Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence
      > that has
      > no clear meaning.
      >
      > --
      > Milos Prudek

    • Stephan von Pohl
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
        translation sounds good. As for organizace - in this context, how about
        "firmy"?

        Steve

        On 6/3/2011 10:24 AM, Martin Janda wrote:
        > I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
        > US EN.
        >
        > Martin
        >
        > Dne 3.6.2011 9:40, Milos Prudek napsal(a):
        > > On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
        > > > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
        > > > paradigm is this:
        > >
        > > My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace"
        > > into
        > > "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":
        > >
        > > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
        > > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have
        > > considered
        > > in the past.”
        > >
        > > “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
        > > novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”
        > >
        > > Is my translation wrong?
        > >
        > > Another more verbose possibility:
        > > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
        > > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly
        > > možné.”
        > >
        > > Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence
        > > that has
        > > no clear meaning.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Milos Prudek

      • Milos Prudek
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
          On Friday 03 of June 2011 10:24:17 you wrote:
          > I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
          > US EN.

          Do you mean that "organization" in English includes both private for-profit
          enterprises and government bodies and non-profits?

          In that case, "organizations" = "podniky a organizace", correct?

          --
          Milos Prudek
        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Milos Prudek <milos@...> wrote:

            > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
            > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
            > in the past.”

            > Another more verbose possibility:
            > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
            > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

            Or how about

            Prostrednictvim virtualizacni technologie XXX umoznuje klientum pracovat atd

            ??

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
              Yes, that sounds better.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                On Friday 03 of June 2011 12:30:44 you wrote:
                > Yes, that sounds better.

                OK, thank you very much to all. It was a pleasure as always.

                --
                Milos Prudek
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                  Your less verbose rendition sounds fine to me. I would pick whichever version sounds friendlier in Czech, because the English original has a sort of friendly tone.

                  Jamie