Re: [Czechlist] take the paradigm

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
      OK, that sounds good. I have never expected this buzzword to have any
      tangible meaning. Thank you, Jamie!

      Martin

      Dne 2.6.2011 17:04, James Kirchner napsal(a):
      > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
      > paradigm is this:
      >
      > "a typical example or pattern of something; a model"
      >
      > So they are using the model of server virtualization.
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Martin Janda wrote:
      >
      > > Hmmmm... perhaps you could call me ignorant Jamie, but would you
      > > enlighten me as to what 'paradigm' exactly is to mean in server
      > > virtualization? :-))
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Martin
      > >
      > > Dne 2.6.2011 16:33, James Kirchner napsal(a):
      > > > It's actually pretty good marketing speak for technical material.
      > It's clear.
      > > >
      > > > "Taking" there can be visualized as picking up a tool, or something
      > similar. "He took his hammer and pounded in the rest of the nails." "He
      > took his knife and slit open the deer."
      > > >
      > > > So they've got this paradigm called "server virtualization", and
      > they're picking it up like a tool and doing something with it. That's
      > the image.
      > > >
      > > > Jamie

    • Milos Prudek
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
        On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
        > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
        > paradigm is this:

        My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace" into
        "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":

        “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
        organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
        in the past.”

        “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
        novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

        Is my translation wrong?

        Another more verbose possibility:
        “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
        organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

        Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence that has
        no clear meaning.

        --
        Milos Prudek
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
          I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
          US EN.

          Martin

          Dne 3.6.2011 9:40, Milos Prudek napsal(a):
          > On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
          > > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
          > > paradigm is this:
          >
          > My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace"
          > into
          > "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":
          >
          > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
          > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have
          > considered
          > in the past.”
          >
          > “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
          > novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”
          >
          > Is my translation wrong?
          >
          > Another more verbose possibility:
          > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
          > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly
          > možné.”
          >
          > Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence
          > that has
          > no clear meaning.
          >
          > --
          > Milos Prudek

        • Stephan von Pohl
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
            translation sounds good. As for organizace - in this context, how about
            "firmy"?

            Steve

            On 6/3/2011 10:24 AM, Martin Janda wrote:
            > I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
            > US EN.
            >
            > Martin
            >
            > Dne 3.6.2011 9:40, Milos Prudek napsal(a):
            > > On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
            > > > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
            > > > paradigm is this:
            > >
            > > My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace"
            > > into
            > > "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":
            > >
            > > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
            > > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have
            > > considered
            > > in the past.”
            > >
            > > “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
            > > novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”
            > >
            > > Is my translation wrong?
            > >
            > > Another more verbose possibility:
            > > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
            > > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly
            > > možné.”
            > >
            > > Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence
            > > that has
            > > no clear meaning.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Milos Prudek

          • Milos Prudek
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
              On Friday 03 of June 2011 10:24:17 you wrote:
              > I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
              > US EN.

              Do you mean that "organization" in English includes both private for-profit
              enterprises and government bodies and non-profits?

              In that case, "organizations" = "podniky a organizace", correct?

              --
              Milos Prudek
            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Milos Prudek <milos@...> wrote:

                > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
                > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
                > in the past.”

                > Another more verbose possibility:
                > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
                > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

                Or how about

                Prostrednictvim virtualizacni technologie XXX umoznuje klientum pracovat atd

                ??

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                  Yes, that sounds better.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                    On Friday 03 of June 2011 12:30:44 you wrote:
                    > Yes, that sounds better.

                    OK, thank you very much to all. It was a pleasure as always.

                    --
                    Milos Prudek
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                      Your less verbose rendition sounds fine to me. I would pick whichever version sounds friendlier in Czech, because the English original has a sort of friendly tone.

                      Jamie