take the paradigm

  • Milos Prudek
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
      This is marketing newspeak:

      “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
      organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
      in the past.”

      How should I translate "taking"?

      --
      Milos Prudek
    • Petr
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
        Tak nejdriv jsme měli koncepci, pak byla "filozofie" a ted je doba "paradigmatu". No snad "prijima" nebo "Paradigmatem, jimz se XXX ridi, je ...", "postupuje podle paradigmatu", ... stylistických variaci je neurekom.
        Petr Adamek

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Milos Prudek <milos@...> wrote:

        > This is marketing newspeak:
        >
        > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
        > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
        > in the past.”
        >
        > How should I translate "taking"?
        >
        > --
        > Milos Prudek

      • Stephan von Pohl
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
          Ugh. Horrible marketing speak.

          Ja bych rekl neco jako "pracuje s..."

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
            It's actually pretty good marketing speak for technical material. It's clear.

            "Taking" there can be visualized as picking up a tool, or something similar. "He took his hammer and pounded in the rest of the nails." "He took his knife and slit open the deer."

            So they've got this paradigm called "server virtualization", and they're picking it up like a tool and doing something with it. That's the image.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
              Hmmmm... perhaps you could call me ignorant Jamie, but would you
              enlighten me as to what 'paradigm' exactly is to mean in server
              virtualization? :-))

              Thanks
              Martin

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
                According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of paradigm is this:

                "a typical example or pattern of something; a model"

                So they are using the model of server virtualization.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
                  OK, that sounds good. I have never expected this buzzword to have any
                  tangible meaning. Thank you, Jamie!

                  Martin

                  Dne 2.6.2011 17:04, James Kirchner napsal(a):
                  > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
                  > paradigm is this:
                  >
                  > "a typical example or pattern of something; a model"
                  >
                  > So they are using the model of server virtualization.
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Martin Janda wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hmmmm... perhaps you could call me ignorant Jamie, but would you
                  > > enlighten me as to what 'paradigm' exactly is to mean in server
                  > > virtualization? :-))
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Martin
                  > >
                  > > Dne 2.6.2011 16:33, James Kirchner napsal(a):
                  > > > It's actually pretty good marketing speak for technical material.
                  > It's clear.
                  > > >
                  > > > "Taking" there can be visualized as picking up a tool, or something
                  > similar. "He took his hammer and pounded in the rest of the nails." "He
                  > took his knife and slit open the deer."
                  > > >
                  > > > So they've got this paradigm called "server virtualization", and
                  > they're picking it up like a tool and doing something with it. That's
                  > the image.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jamie

                • Milos Prudek
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                    On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
                    > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
                    > paradigm is this:

                    My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace" into
                    "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":

                    “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
                    organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
                    in the past.”

                    “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
                    novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

                    Is my translation wrong?

                    Another more verbose possibility:
                    “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
                    organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

                    Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence that has
                    no clear meaning.

                    --
                    Milos Prudek
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                      I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
                      US EN.

                      Martin

                      Dne 3.6.2011 9:40, Milos Prudek napsal(a):
                      > On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
                      > > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
                      > > paradigm is this:
                      >
                      > My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace"
                      > into
                      > "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":
                      >
                      > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
                      > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have
                      > considered
                      > in the past.”
                      >
                      > “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
                      > novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”
                      >
                      > Is my translation wrong?
                      >
                      > Another more verbose possibility:
                      > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
                      > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly
                      > možné.”
                      >
                      > Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence
                      > that has
                      > no clear meaning.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Milos Prudek

                    • Stephan von Pohl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                        translation sounds good. As for organizace - in this context, how about
                        "firmy"?

                        Steve

                        On 6/3/2011 10:24 AM, Martin Janda wrote:
                        > I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
                        > US EN.
                        >
                        > Martin
                        >
                        > Dne 3.6.2011 9:40, Milos Prudek napsal(a):
                        > > On Thursday 02 of June 2011 17:04:02 you wrote:
                        > > > According to my Oxford American dictionary, the technical meaning of
                        > > > paradigm is this:
                        > >
                        > > My current version kind of hides "paradigm" by declensing "virtualizace"
                        > > into
                        > > "virtualizací" which means "with the help of virtualization":
                        > >
                        > > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
                        > > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have
                        > > considered
                        > > in the past.”
                        > >
                        > > “Společnost XXX virtualizací serverů umožňuje organizacím pracovat zcela
                        > > novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”
                        > >
                        > > Is my translation wrong?
                        > >
                        > > Another more verbose possibility:
                        > > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
                        > > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly
                        > > možné.”
                        > >
                        > > Translating "paradigm"="model" or "příklad" seems to produce sentence
                        > > that has
                        > > no clear meaning.
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Milos Prudek

                      • Milos Prudek
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                          On Friday 03 of June 2011 10:24:17 you wrote:
                          > I would avoid 'organizace' - it's not the same flavor as organization in
                          > US EN.

                          Do you mean that "organization" in English includes both private for-profit
                          enterprises and government bodies and non-profits?

                          In that case, "organizations" = "podniky a organizace", correct?

                          --
                          Milos Prudek
                        • Melvyn
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Milos Prudek <milos@...> wrote:

                            > “XXX is taking the paradigm of server virtualization and enabling
                            > organizations to do things in new ways that they never could have considered
                            > in the past.”

                            > Another more verbose possibility:
                            > “Společnost XXX využívá technologii virtualizace serverů a tím umožňuje
                            > organizacím pracovat zcela novými způsoby, které by v minulosti nebyly možné.”

                            Or how about

                            Prostrednictvim virtualizacni technologie XXX umoznuje klientum pracovat atd

                            ??

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                              Yes, that sounds better.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                                On Friday 03 of June 2011 12:30:44 you wrote:
                                > Yes, that sounds better.

                                OK, thank you very much to all. It was a pleasure as always.

                                --
                                Milos Prudek
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                                  Your less verbose rendition sounds fine to me. I would pick whichever version sounds friendlier in Czech, because the English original has a sort of friendly tone.

                                  Jamie