Re: Translation rate basis

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
      >A�customer of mine (at the prospective stage yet, though) has asked
      >for a substantitation of the translation price, ie costs based on
      >resources employed plus adequate salary.

      I'd say it's none of their damn business how you arrive at your
      prices. If your rates are competitive for the technical, linguistic,
      and service quality you provide, then I'd tell 'em to take it or
      leave it.

      Michael
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
        " >A customer of mine (at the prospective stage yet, though) has asked
        > >for a substantitation of the translation price, ie costs based on
        > >resources employed plus adequate salary.
        >
        > I'd say it's none of their damn business how you arrive at your
        > prices. If your rates are competitive for the technical, linguistic,
        > and service quality you provide, then I'd tell 'em to take it or
        > leave it.
        >
        > Michael

        You are right, Michael, and when I replied to this issue, I did not mean to
        comply with this strange requirement, but rather to embrace it as the issue
        standing alone: "expenses in doing translation business", which might be of
        interest for us.

        HOWEVER, I would like to add that some big, really big multinational
        companies have included this requirement in their subcontractor policy. But,
        to get a contract from such big company means to get high volume work
        secured for several years. In return, these big companies push their
        subcontractors really very hard, including inquiries of their expenses,
        pushing their price as low as they can get, and also try to set-up the
        contract in the most advantageous way for themselves, and the least
        advantageous way for contractors.

        Kostas
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
          >In return, these big companies push their
          >subcontractors really very hard, including inquiries of their expenses,
          >pushing their price as low as they can get, and also try to set-up the
          >contract in the most advantageous way for themselves, and the least
          >advantageous way for contractors.

          Count me out. If they're going to own you body and soul anyway, let
          'em hire you as an employee and pay your health insurance and pension
          contributions.

          Just MHO. :-)

          Michael
        • Otto Pacholik
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 16, 2000
            > But,
            > to get a contract from such big company means to get high volume work
            > secured for several years.

            I think this is the most dangerous way how to run your business. This may
            lead to you dependence on one source of income. And consequently, you become
            more "flexible" to any request of your one (two, three) big multinational
            customers. I have always tried to avoid such situation. Once such customers
            drops you this might mean a couple of months before you recover from such
            loss. Of course, if you manage to have big volume customer it would be
            nonsense to let him go. However, I prefer to subcontract a part of my work
            (even if this means more proofreading for me), in order to both keep my
            customer satisfied and avoid my dependence on him.

            Just MHO

            Otto