Re: [Czechlist] How would this be in English? (just curious...)

  • Vesely Petr
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2011
      No try, no win.

      Petr

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Tomas Mosler
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:56 PM
      Subject: [Czechlist] How would this be in English? (just curious...)

      Hello,

      Not related to any project, I would like to know what is the English phrase to express the meaning similar to this in Czech:

      lina huba, hole nestesti / za optani nic nedas / kdo chce vyhrat, musi si koupit los

      Basically I want to express the idea that if you want to gain (literally or figuratively) something, you have to ask/try, even if it perhaps won't lead to the intended result in the end - there certainly won't be any gain if you don't try.

      Thank for any hint.

      Tomas

    • Simon
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2011
        Two possibilities:

        If you don't ask, you don't (or won't) get.

        Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

        Simon

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Tomas Mosler" <tomas.mosler@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Not related to any project, I would like to know what is the English phrase to express the meaning similar to this in Czech:
        >
        > lina huba, hole nestesti / za optani nic nedas / kdo chce vyhrat, musi si koupit los
        >
        > Basically I want to express the idea that if you want to gain (literally or figuratively) something, you have to ask/try, even if it perhaps won't lead to the intended result in the end - there certainly won't be any gain if you don't try.
        >
        > Thank for any hint.
        >
        > Tomas

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2011
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Tomas Mosler" <tomas.mosler@...> wrote:

          Fronek suggests:

          > lina huba, hole nestesti

          you get nothing if you don't ask.

          and

          > za optani nic nedas

          there's no harm in asking.

          > kdo chce vyhrat, musi si koupit los

          The proverb that immediately comes to (my) mind here is "nothing ventured, nothing gained", which often gets shortened in everyday parlance to "nothing ventured..."

        • Milos Prudek
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2011
            > Basically I want to express the idea that if you want to gain (literally or
            > figuratively) something, you have to ask/try, even if it perhaps won't

            "no pain, no gain" is pretty popular.

            --
            Milos Prudek
            ** Do NOT use email for urgent inquiries please **