Re: [Czechlist] Another deadly Czech-English dictionary definition

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5 1:38 PM
      I never hear it.

      Jamie

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5 1:40 PM
        Ow know. I don't know what Brighton rock is.

        Keep this in mind: I once won an expensive prize for writing the worst first paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel, and I gave it away. I'd just entered to see if I could win. :-)

        (You wouldn't believe how much work it is to write something really terrible.)

        Jamie

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5 2:12 PM
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)

          Re writing something really terrible, I've had more than enough of
          practice translating would-be literary masterpieces over the years.

          Gerry

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 6 12:53 AM
            Hi list,

            need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:

            COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
            NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
            ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
            OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
            THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
            BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

            What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
            RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

            a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
            liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what would
            be the meaning of restitution then?

            or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
            what would be the meaning of restitution then?

            ... never seen this type of sentence structure before

            (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)

            Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
            one)

            Matej
          • Hana Jarolímová
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 6 1:11 AM
              No, kdyz jsem zagooglila tento kus textu na nemeckych strankach, tak
              Restitution tam je prekladano jako nahrada skod nebo kompenzace nakladu.

              A zda se, ze se tato formulace vyskytuje u licenci docela dost casto.

              Takze asi neco jako: ***nebudou v souvislosti s obcanskopravnimi
              delikty, uzavrenymi smlouvami, porusenim svych povinnosti vyplyvajicich
              ze zakona ci nahradou skod odpovedni za....****

            • Stephan von Pohl
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 6 1:30 AM
                It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The client
                shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)

                As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe they
                actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing in
                a post-communist context...)

                Steve

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 6 2:34 AM
                  Thanks a lot Stephan and Hano!

                  Stephan, I still can't bend my head around the restitution bit - the
                  text is from a French company, so no Commie context... - can't see how
                  compensation could fit in there (as a cause of a liablity)... so I made
                  a bypass by saying "restitucne", I think it's one of those situations
                  when this might just covere every possible meaning without anyone
                  complaining.. see Czech below..

                  Hano and others, is 'Tort' always an 'obcanskopravni delikt', or could
                  it be just any 'delikt'?

                  My current version of the sentence reads:

                  SPOLEČNOST XXX NENÍ ZODPOVĚDNA (BEZ OHLEDU NA TO, ZDA BY TAKOVÁ
                  ZODPOVĚDNOST VZNIKLA SMLUVNĚ, JAKO DŮSLEDEK OBČANSKOPRÁVNÍHO DELIKTU
                  (VČETNĚ NEDBALOSTI), PORUŠENÍM ZÁKONNÝCH POVINNOSTÍ, RESTITUČNĚ ČI
                  JINAK) ZA ŽÁDNÉ: (1) ZTRÁTY VÝDĚLKU: (2) OBCHODNÍ ZTRÁTY; (3) NEPŘÍMÉ,
                  ZVLÁŠTNÍ NEBO NÁSLEDNÉ ZTRÁTY; (4) ŠKODY ZPŮSOBENÉ NEDBALOSTÍ, BEZ
                  OHLEDU NA JEJICH CHARAKTER (VČETNĚ OBCHODNÍCH ZTRÁT, ZTRÁTY DAT A
                  POŠKOZENÍ NEBO ŠPATNÉ FUNKCE POČÍTAČE); A (5) JAKÉKOLI JINÉ ŠKODY NEBO
                  ZTRÁTY.

                  Original:

                  XXX SHALL NOT BE LIABLE (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                  NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE) FOR
                  ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                  OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                  THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                  BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                  What do you think?

                  > It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The
                  >client
                  >shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                  >be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                  >duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)
                  >
                  >As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                  >http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe
                  >they
                  >actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                  >European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing
                  >in
                  >a post-communist context...)
                  >
                  >Steve
                  >
                  >On 4/6/2011 9:53 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                  >> Hi list,
                  >>
                  >> need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:
                  >>
                  >> COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                  >> NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)**
                  >FOR
                  >> ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT,
                  >SPECIAL,
                  >> OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS
                  >OF
                  >> THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA,
                  >COMPUTER
                  >> BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                  >>
                  >> What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                  >> RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?
                  >>
                  >> a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                  >> liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what
                  >would
                  >> be the meaning of restitution then?
                  >>
                  >> or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                  >> what would be the meaning of restitution then?
                  >>
                  >> ... never seen this type of sentence structure before
                  >>
                  >> (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)
                  >>
                  >> Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                  >> one)
                  >>
                  >> Matej
                  >>

                  >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6017
                  >(20110405) __________

                  >http://www.eset.cz/

                • Hana Jarolímová
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 6 2:47 AM
                    Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie

                    tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                    zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ musime
                    pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                    cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                    nahrada skody!!!!

                    to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 6 3:17 AM
                      Diky Hanko, beru na vedomi..

                      Nenapadne nekoho, jak tam jinak zamontovat tu restituci - jako ze jde o
                      nejake plneni/kompenzaci ve vyznamu, jaky zminoval Stephan, ale aby to
                      ceske slovo bylo podobne vseobjimajici? Ja jsem na nic krome toho, co
                      jsem tam (alibisticky) dal, neprisel..

                      (jen me to zajima, uz je to odevzdano..)

                      > Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie
                      >
                      >tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                      >zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ
                      >musime
                      >pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                      >cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                      >nahrada skody!!!!
                      >
                      >to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                      >

                      >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6018
                      >(20110406) __________

                      >http://www.eset.cz/

                    • Alena Ryšková 2e
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 6 3:47 AM
                        Ahoj vsichni,
                        mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                        Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                        Alena

                      • Melvyn
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 6 5:11 AM
                          Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                          M.

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                          > Ahoj vsichni,
                          > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                          > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                          > Alena

                        • Alena Rysková 2e
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 6 6:44 AM
                            To by mohlo byt, diky.
                            Alena

                            Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                            M.

                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                            > Ahoj vsichni,
                            > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                            > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                            > Alena

                          • Vlastimila Palíková
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 6 6:52 AM
                              Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom „vyzkum“. Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                              ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                              _____

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                              > Ahoj vsichni,
                              > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                              Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                              > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                              tomto poli nepohybuji...
                              > Alena

                              __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                              http://www.nod32.cz

                            • Alena Rysková 2e
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 6 6:57 AM
                                Spolecnost, u ktere se zada o grant, farmaceuticka je, ale jinak se v cele zadosti uz o vyzkumu nehovori, jen je tam ta jedna kolonka.
                                Alena
                                Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom "vyzkum". Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                _____

                                Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt
                                ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                M.

                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                > Ahoj vsichni,
                                > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                > Alena

                                __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                http://www.nod32.cz

                              • Mike Trittipo
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 6 8:49 AM
                                  On Apr 6 2011, Matej Klimes wrote:
                                  >COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                                  >NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                                  >ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF . . . (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                                  >
                                  >What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                                  >RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                                  Your (a), as Stephan noted. Company X is not liable under any imaginable
                                  theory for any of 1 through 5 (well, not under any legal theory the writer
                                  can imagine anyone trying to use). "Restitution" would be just another
                                  legal theory for trying to make it pay -- basically like indemnity (here,
                                  restitution just means making it whole, restoring to it the amount of its
                                  loss).
                                • Milan Condak
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 6 11:30 PM
                                    1. nalezeno v textu Deloitte Czech Republic

                                    http://mymemory.translated.net/s.php?q=%22Tort%22&sl=en-GB&tl=cs-CZ

                                    "protipravni jednani" , "obcanskopravni delikt" , "obecna obcanskopravni
                                    odpovednost"

                                    2. nenalezeno v databazi TAUS

                                    Milan