Re: [Czechlist] Another deadly Czech-English dictionary definition

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
      Sorry Valerie, there's one for you, too :)

      Gerry

      On 5 April 2011 21:35, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
      > But it looks as if I owe you a stick of Brighton rock, Jamie. Will you collect?
      >
      > Gerry
      >
      > On 5 April 2011 21:33, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
      >> Having Googled it, clearly the expression exists but I have never ever
      >> come across it before. Is it common elsewhere?
      >>
      >> Gerry
      >>

      >> On 5 April 2011 21:29, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
      >>> Do you say "in the upshot" over there?
      >>>
      >>> Gerry

      >>> --
      >>> 7 Old Shoreham Road
      >>> Brighton

      --
      7 Old Shoreham Road
      Brighton
      Sussex
      BN1 5DQ
      U.K.

      Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.
    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
        Apparently it was the last arrow fired in an archery competition - if
        two archers had tied, it was the deciding arrow. So "in the upshot"
        makes sense, but I've only ever heard "the upshot was..."

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
          I never hear it.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
            Ow know. I don't know what Brighton rock is.

            Keep this in mind: I once won an expensive prize for writing the worst first paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel, and I gave it away. I'd just entered to see if I could win. :-)

            (You wouldn't believe how much work it is to write something really terrible.)

            Jamie

          • Gerald Turner
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)

              Re writing something really terrible, I've had more than enough of
              practice translating would-be literary masterpieces over the years.

              Gerry

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                Hi list,

                need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:

                COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what would
                be the meaning of restitution then?

                or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                what would be the meaning of restitution then?

                ... never seen this type of sentence structure before

                (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)

                Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                one)

                Matej
              • Hana Jarolímová
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                  No, kdyz jsem zagooglila tento kus textu na nemeckych strankach, tak
                  Restitution tam je prekladano jako nahrada skod nebo kompenzace nakladu.

                  A zda se, ze se tato formulace vyskytuje u licenci docela dost casto.

                  Takze asi neco jako: ***nebudou v souvislosti s obcanskopravnimi
                  delikty, uzavrenymi smlouvami, porusenim svych povinnosti vyplyvajicich
                  ze zakona ci nahradou skod odpovedni za....****

                • Stephan von Pohl
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                    It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The client
                    shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                    be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                    duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)

                    As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe they
                    actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                    European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing in
                    a post-communist context...)

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                      Thanks a lot Stephan and Hano!

                      Stephan, I still can't bend my head around the restitution bit - the
                      text is from a French company, so no Commie context... - can't see how
                      compensation could fit in there (as a cause of a liablity)... so I made
                      a bypass by saying "restitucne", I think it's one of those situations
                      when this might just covere every possible meaning without anyone
                      complaining.. see Czech below..

                      Hano and others, is 'Tort' always an 'obcanskopravni delikt', or could
                      it be just any 'delikt'?

                      My current version of the sentence reads:

                      SPOLEČNOST XXX NENÍ ZODPOVĚDNA (BEZ OHLEDU NA TO, ZDA BY TAKOVÁ
                      ZODPOVĚDNOST VZNIKLA SMLUVNĚ, JAKO DŮSLEDEK OBČANSKOPRÁVNÍHO DELIKTU
                      (VČETNĚ NEDBALOSTI), PORUŠENÍM ZÁKONNÝCH POVINNOSTÍ, RESTITUČNĚ ČI
                      JINAK) ZA ŽÁDNÉ: (1) ZTRÁTY VÝDĚLKU: (2) OBCHODNÍ ZTRÁTY; (3) NEPŘÍMÉ,
                      ZVLÁŠTNÍ NEBO NÁSLEDNÉ ZTRÁTY; (4) ŠKODY ZPŮSOBENÉ NEDBALOSTÍ, BEZ
                      OHLEDU NA JEJICH CHARAKTER (VČETNĚ OBCHODNÍCH ZTRÁT, ZTRÁTY DAT A
                      POŠKOZENÍ NEBO ŠPATNÉ FUNKCE POČÍTAČE); A (5) JAKÉKOLI JINÉ ŠKODY NEBO
                      ZTRÁTY.

                      Original:

                      XXX SHALL NOT BE LIABLE (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                      NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE) FOR
                      ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                      OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                      THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                      BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                      What do you think?

                      > It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The
                      >client
                      >shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                      >be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                      >duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)
                      >
                      >As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                      >http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe
                      >they
                      >actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                      >European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing
                      >in
                      >a post-communist context...)
                      >
                      >Steve
                      >
                      >On 4/6/2011 9:53 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                      >> Hi list,
                      >>
                      >> need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:
                      >>
                      >> COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                      >> NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)**
                      >FOR
                      >> ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT,
                      >SPECIAL,
                      >> OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS
                      >OF
                      >> THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA,
                      >COMPUTER
                      >> BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                      >>
                      >> What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                      >> RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?
                      >>
                      >> a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                      >> liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what
                      >would
                      >> be the meaning of restitution then?
                      >>
                      >> or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                      >> what would be the meaning of restitution then?
                      >>
                      >> ... never seen this type of sentence structure before
                      >>
                      >> (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                      >> one)
                      >>
                      >> Matej
                      >>

                      >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6017
                      >(20110405) __________

                      >http://www.eset.cz/

                    • Hana Jarolímová
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                        Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie

                        tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                        zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ musime
                        pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                        cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                        nahrada skody!!!!

                        to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                          Diky Hanko, beru na vedomi..

                          Nenapadne nekoho, jak tam jinak zamontovat tu restituci - jako ze jde o
                          nejake plneni/kompenzaci ve vyznamu, jaky zminoval Stephan, ale aby to
                          ceske slovo bylo podobne vseobjimajici? Ja jsem na nic krome toho, co
                          jsem tam (alibisticky) dal, neprisel..

                          (jen me to zajima, uz je to odevzdano..)

                          > Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie
                          >
                          >tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                          >zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ
                          >musime
                          >pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                          >cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                          >nahrada skody!!!!
                          >
                          >to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                          >

                          >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6018
                          >(20110406) __________

                          >http://www.eset.cz/

                        • Alena Ryšková 2e
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                            Ahoj vsichni,
                            mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                            Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                            Alena

                          • Melvyn
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                              Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                              M.

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                              > Ahoj vsichni,
                              > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                              > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                              > Alena

                            • Alena Rysková 2e
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                To by mohlo byt, diky.
                                Alena

                                Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                M.

                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                > Ahoj vsichni,
                                > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                > Alena

                              • Vlastimila Palíková
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                  Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom „vyzkum“. Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                  ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                  _____

                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                  Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                  > Ahoj vsichni,
                                  > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                  Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                  > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                  tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                  > Alena

                                  __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                  http://www.nod32.cz

                                • Alena Rysková 2e
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                    Spolecnost, u ktere se zada o grant, farmaceuticka je, ale jinak se v cele zadosti uz o vyzkumu nehovori, jen je tam ta jedna kolonka.
                                    Alena
                                    Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom "vyzkum". Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                    ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                    _____

                                    Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt
                                    ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                    M.

                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                    Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                    > Ahoj vsichni,
                                    > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                    Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                    > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                    tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                    > Alena

                                    __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                    http://www.nod32.cz

                                  • Mike Trittipo
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                      On Apr 6 2011, Matej Klimes wrote:
                                      >COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                                      >NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                                      >ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF . . . (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                                      >
                                      >What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                                      >RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                                      Your (a), as Stephan noted. Company X is not liable under any imaginable
                                      theory for any of 1 through 5 (well, not under any legal theory the writer
                                      can imagine anyone trying to use). "Restitution" would be just another
                                      legal theory for trying to make it pay -- basically like indemnity (here,
                                      restitution just means making it whole, restoring to it the amount of its
                                      loss).
                                    • Milan Condak
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                        1. nalezeno v textu Deloitte Czech Republic

                                        http://mymemory.translated.net/s.php?q=%22Tort%22&sl=en-GB&tl=cs-CZ

                                        "protipravni jednani" , "obcanskopravni delikt" , "obecna obcanskopravni
                                        odpovednost"

                                        2. nenalezeno v databazi TAUS

                                        Milan