Re: [Czechlist] Another deadly Czech-English dictionary definition

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5 1:33 PM
      I wouldn't, but I got over 3 million hits for the phrase on Google, and it appeared in some dictionaries.

      Jamie

      On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > Would you say "in the upshot?" I'd always say "The upshot was that..."
      >
      > I note that it's also given for "nakonec", but that if you click on
      > "unshot" itself, you get "nevystreleny", fortunately.
      >
      > On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 16:27 -0400, James Kirchner wrote:
      > > It's a misspelling of "in the upshot".
      > >
      > > Jamie
      > >
      > > On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
      > >
      > > > As a translation of koneckoncu: "in the unshot". A stick of Brighton
      > > > rock for a credible explanation of how this was invented.
      > > >
      > > > Gerry
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > 7 Old Shoreham Road
      > > > Brighton
      > > > Sussex
      > > > BN1 5DQ
      > > > U.K.
      > > >
      > > > Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484
      > > >
      > > > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      > > > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      > > > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      > > > And Eternity in an hour.

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5 1:33 PM
        Having Googled it, clearly the expression exists but I have never ever
        come across it before. Is it common elsewhere?

        Gerry

        On 5 April 2011 21:29, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
        > Do you say "in the upshot" over there?
        >
        > Gerry
        >
        > On 5 April 2011 21:27, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
        >> It's a misspelling of "in the upshot".
        >>
        >> Jamie
        >>
        >> On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
        >>
        >>> As a translation of koneckoncu: "in the unshot". A stick of Brighton
        >>> rock for a credible explanation of how this was invented.
        >>>
        >>> Gerry
        >>>
        >>> --
        >>> 7 Old Shoreham Road
        >>> Brighton

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5 1:35 PM
          But it looks as if I owe you a stick of Brighton rock, Jamie. Will you collect?

          Gerry

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5 1:36 PM
            Sorry Valerie, there's one for you, too :)

            Gerry

            On 5 April 2011 21:35, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
            > But it looks as if I owe you a stick of Brighton rock, Jamie. Will you collect?
            >
            > Gerry
            >
            > On 5 April 2011 21:33, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
            >> Having Googled it, clearly the expression exists but I have never ever
            >> come across it before. Is it common elsewhere?
            >>
            >> Gerry
            >>

            >> On 5 April 2011 21:29, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
            >>> Do you say "in the upshot" over there?
            >>>
            >>> Gerry

            >>> --
            >>> 7 Old Shoreham Road
            >>> Brighton

            --
            7 Old Shoreham Road
            Brighton
            Sussex
            BN1 5DQ
            U.K.

            Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            And Eternity in an hour.
          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5 1:36 PM
              Apparently it was the last arrow fired in an archery competition - if
              two archers had tied, it was the deciding arrow. So "in the upshot"
              makes sense, but I've only ever heard "the upshot was..."

              Valerie

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5 1:38 PM
                I never hear it.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5 1:40 PM
                  Ow know. I don't know what Brighton rock is.

                  Keep this in mind: I once won an expensive prize for writing the worst first paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel, and I gave it away. I'd just entered to see if I could win. :-)

                  (You wouldn't believe how much work it is to write something really terrible.)

                  Jamie

                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5 2:12 PM
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)

                    Re writing something really terrible, I've had more than enough of
                    practice translating would-be literary masterpieces over the years.

                    Gerry

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 6 12:53 AM
                      Hi list,

                      need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:

                      COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                      NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                      ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                      OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                      THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                      BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                      What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                      RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                      a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                      liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what would
                      be the meaning of restitution then?

                      or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                      what would be the meaning of restitution then?

                      ... never seen this type of sentence structure before

                      (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)

                      Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                      one)

                      Matej
                    • Hana Jarolímová
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 6 1:11 AM
                        No, kdyz jsem zagooglila tento kus textu na nemeckych strankach, tak
                        Restitution tam je prekladano jako nahrada skod nebo kompenzace nakladu.

                        A zda se, ze se tato formulace vyskytuje u licenci docela dost casto.

                        Takze asi neco jako: ***nebudou v souvislosti s obcanskopravnimi
                        delikty, uzavrenymi smlouvami, porusenim svych povinnosti vyplyvajicich
                        ze zakona ci nahradou skod odpovedni za....****

                      • Stephan von Pohl
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 6 1:30 AM
                          It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The client
                          shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                          be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                          duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)

                          As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                          http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe they
                          actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                          European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing in
                          a post-communist context...)

                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 6 2:34 AM
                            Thanks a lot Stephan and Hano!

                            Stephan, I still can't bend my head around the restitution bit - the
                            text is from a French company, so no Commie context... - can't see how
                            compensation could fit in there (as a cause of a liablity)... so I made
                            a bypass by saying "restitucne", I think it's one of those situations
                            when this might just covere every possible meaning without anyone
                            complaining.. see Czech below..

                            Hano and others, is 'Tort' always an 'obcanskopravni delikt', or could
                            it be just any 'delikt'?

                            My current version of the sentence reads:

                            SPOLEČNOST XXX NENÍ ZODPOVĚDNA (BEZ OHLEDU NA TO, ZDA BY TAKOVÁ
                            ZODPOVĚDNOST VZNIKLA SMLUVNĚ, JAKO DŮSLEDEK OBČANSKOPRÁVNÍHO DELIKTU
                            (VČETNĚ NEDBALOSTI), PORUŠENÍM ZÁKONNÝCH POVINNOSTÍ, RESTITUČNĚ ČI
                            JINAK) ZA ŽÁDNÉ: (1) ZTRÁTY VÝDĚLKU: (2) OBCHODNÍ ZTRÁTY; (3) NEPŘÍMÉ,
                            ZVLÁŠTNÍ NEBO NÁSLEDNÉ ZTRÁTY; (4) ŠKODY ZPŮSOBENÉ NEDBALOSTÍ, BEZ
                            OHLEDU NA JEJICH CHARAKTER (VČETNĚ OBCHODNÍCH ZTRÁT, ZTRÁTY DAT A
                            POŠKOZENÍ NEBO ŠPATNÉ FUNKCE POČÍTAČE); A (5) JAKÉKOLI JINÉ ŠKODY NEBO
                            ZTRÁTY.

                            Original:

                            XXX SHALL NOT BE LIABLE (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                            NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE) FOR
                            ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                            OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                            THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                            BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                            What do you think?

                            > It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The
                            >client
                            >shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                            >be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                            >duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)
                            >
                            >As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                            >http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe
                            >they
                            >actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                            >European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing
                            >in
                            >a post-communist context...)
                            >
                            >Steve
                            >
                            >On 4/6/2011 9:53 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                            >> Hi list,
                            >>
                            >> need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:
                            >>
                            >> COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                            >> NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)**
                            >FOR
                            >> ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT,
                            >SPECIAL,
                            >> OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS
                            >OF
                            >> THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA,
                            >COMPUTER
                            >> BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                            >>
                            >> What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                            >> RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?
                            >>
                            >> a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                            >> liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what
                            >would
                            >> be the meaning of restitution then?
                            >>
                            >> or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                            >> what would be the meaning of restitution then?
                            >>
                            >> ... never seen this type of sentence structure before
                            >>
                            >> (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)
                            >>
                            >> Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                            >> one)
                            >>
                            >> Matej
                            >>

                            >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6017
                            >(20110405) __________

                            >http://www.eset.cz/

                          • Hana Jarolímová
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 6 2:47 AM
                              Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie

                              tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                              zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ musime
                              pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                              cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                              nahrada skody!!!!

                              to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 6 3:17 AM
                                Diky Hanko, beru na vedomi..

                                Nenapadne nekoho, jak tam jinak zamontovat tu restituci - jako ze jde o
                                nejake plneni/kompenzaci ve vyznamu, jaky zminoval Stephan, ale aby to
                                ceske slovo bylo podobne vseobjimajici? Ja jsem na nic krome toho, co
                                jsem tam (alibisticky) dal, neprisel..

                                (jen me to zajima, uz je to odevzdano..)

                                > Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie
                                >
                                >tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                                >zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ
                                >musime
                                >pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                                >cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                                >nahrada skody!!!!
                                >
                                >to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                                >

                                >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6018
                                >(20110406) __________

                                >http://www.eset.cz/

                              • Alena Ryšková 2e
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 6 3:47 AM
                                  Ahoj vsichni,
                                  mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                  Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                  Alena

                                • Melvyn
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 6 5:11 AM
                                    Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                    M.

                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                    > Ahoj vsichni,
                                    > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                    > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                    > Alena

                                  • Alena Rysková 2e
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 6 6:44 AM
                                      To by mohlo byt, diky.
                                      Alena

                                      Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                      M.

                                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                      > Ahoj vsichni,
                                      > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                      > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                      > Alena

                                    • Vlastimila Palíková
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6 6:52 AM
                                        Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom „vyzkum“. Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                        ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                        _____

                                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                        Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                        > Ahoj vsichni,
                                        > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                        Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                        > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                        tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                        > Alena

                                        __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                        http://www.nod32.cz

                                      • Alena Rysková 2e
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 6 6:57 AM
                                          Spolecnost, u ktere se zada o grant, farmaceuticka je, ale jinak se v cele zadosti uz o vyzkumu nehovori, jen je tam ta jedna kolonka.
                                          Alena
                                          Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom "vyzkum". Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                          ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                          _____

                                          Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt
                                          ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                          M.

                                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                          Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                          > Ahoj vsichni,
                                          > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                          Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                          > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                          tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                          > Alena

                                          __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                          http://www.nod32.cz

                                        • Mike Trittipo
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 6 8:49 AM
                                            On Apr 6 2011, Matej Klimes wrote:
                                            >COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                                            >NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                                            >ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF . . . (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                                            >
                                            >What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                                            >RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                                            Your (a), as Stephan noted. Company X is not liable under any imaginable
                                            theory for any of 1 through 5 (well, not under any legal theory the writer
                                            can imagine anyone trying to use). "Restitution" would be just another
                                            legal theory for trying to make it pay -- basically like indemnity (here,
                                            restitution just means making it whole, restoring to it the amount of its
                                            loss).
                                          • Milan Condak
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 6 11:30 PM
                                              1. nalezeno v textu Deloitte Czech Republic

                                              http://mymemory.translated.net/s.php?q=%22Tort%22&sl=en-GB&tl=cs-CZ

                                              "protipravni jednani" , "obcanskopravni delikt" , "obecna obcanskopravni
                                              odpovednost"

                                              2. nenalezeno v databazi TAUS

                                              Milan