Re: [Czechlist] Another deadly Czech-English dictionary definition

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
      "The upshot was..." ?

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
        It's a misspelling of "in the upshot".

        Jamie

        On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

        > As a translation of koneckoncu: "in the unshot". A stick of Brighton
        > rock for a credible explanation of how this was invented.
        >
        > Gerry
        >
        > --
        > 7 Old Shoreham Road
        > Brighton
        > Sussex
        > BN1 5DQ
        > U.K.
        >
        > Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484
        >
        > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        > And Eternity in an hour.

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
          Do you say "in the upshot" over there?

          Gerry

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
            Would you say "in the upshot?" I'd always say "The upshot was that..."

            I note that it's also given for "nakonec", but that if you click on
            "unshot" itself, you get "nevystreleny", fortunately.

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
              I wouldn't, but I got over 3 million hits for the phrase on Google, and it appeared in some dictionaries.

              Jamie

              On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

              > Would you say "in the upshot?" I'd always say "The upshot was that..."
              >
              > I note that it's also given for "nakonec", but that if you click on
              > "unshot" itself, you get "nevystreleny", fortunately.
              >
              > On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 16:27 -0400, James Kirchner wrote:
              > > It's a misspelling of "in the upshot".
              > >
              > > Jamie
              > >
              > > On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
              > >
              > > > As a translation of koneckoncu: "in the unshot". A stick of Brighton
              > > > rock for a credible explanation of how this was invented.
              > > >
              > > > Gerry
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > 7 Old Shoreham Road
              > > > Brighton
              > > > Sussex
              > > > BN1 5DQ
              > > > U.K.
              > > >
              > > > Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484
              > > >
              > > > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
              > > > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
              > > > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
              > > > And Eternity in an hour.

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                Having Googled it, clearly the expression exists but I have never ever
                come across it before. Is it common elsewhere?

                Gerry

                On 5 April 2011 21:29, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
                > Do you say "in the upshot" over there?
                >
                > Gerry
                >
                > On 5 April 2011 21:27, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                >> It's a misspelling of "in the upshot".
                >>
                >> Jamie
                >>
                >> On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
                >>
                >>> As a translation of koneckoncu: "in the unshot". A stick of Brighton
                >>> rock for a credible explanation of how this was invented.
                >>>
                >>> Gerry
                >>>
                >>> --
                >>> 7 Old Shoreham Road
                >>> Brighton

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                  But it looks as if I owe you a stick of Brighton rock, Jamie. Will you collect?

                  Gerry

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Sorry Valerie, there's one for you, too :)

                    Gerry

                    On 5 April 2011 21:35, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
                    > But it looks as if I owe you a stick of Brighton rock, Jamie. Will you collect?
                    >
                    > Gerry
                    >
                    > On 5 April 2011 21:33, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
                    >> Having Googled it, clearly the expression exists but I have never ever
                    >> come across it before. Is it common elsewhere?
                    >>
                    >> Gerry
                    >>

                    >> On 5 April 2011 21:29, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
                    >>> Do you say "in the upshot" over there?
                    >>>
                    >>> Gerry

                    >>> --
                    >>> 7 Old Shoreham Road
                    >>> Brighton

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Apparently it was the last arrow fired in an archery competition - if
                      two archers had tied, it was the deciding arrow. So "in the upshot"
                      makes sense, but I've only ever heard "the upshot was..."

                      Valerie

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                        I never hear it.

                        Jamie

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                          Ow know. I don't know what Brighton rock is.

                          Keep this in mind: I once won an expensive prize for writing the worst first paragraph to a nonexistent romance novel, and I gave it away. I'd just entered to see if I could win. :-)

                          (You wouldn't believe how much work it is to write something really terrible.)

                          Jamie

                        • Gerald Turner
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 5, 2011
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)

                            Re writing something really terrible, I've had more than enough of
                            practice translating would-be literary masterpieces over the years.

                            Gerry

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                              Hi list,

                              need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:

                              COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                              NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                              ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                              OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                              THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                              BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                              What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                              RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                              a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                              liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what would
                              be the meaning of restitution then?

                              or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                              what would be the meaning of restitution then?

                              ... never seen this type of sentence structure before

                              (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)

                              Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                              one)

                              Matej
                            • Hana Jarolímová
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                No, kdyz jsem zagooglila tento kus textu na nemeckych strankach, tak
                                Restitution tam je prekladano jako nahrada skod nebo kompenzace nakladu.

                                A zda se, ze se tato formulace vyskytuje u licenci docela dost casto.

                                Takze asi neco jako: ***nebudou v souvislosti s obcanskopravnimi
                                delikty, uzavrenymi smlouvami, porusenim svych povinnosti vyplyvajicich
                                ze zakona ci nahradou skod odpovedni za....****

                              • Stephan von Pohl
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                  It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The client
                                  shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                                  be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                                  duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)

                                  As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                                  http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe they
                                  actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                                  European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing in
                                  a post-communist context...)

                                  Steve

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                    Thanks a lot Stephan and Hano!

                                    Stephan, I still can't bend my head around the restitution bit - the
                                    text is from a French company, so no Commie context... - can't see how
                                    compensation could fit in there (as a cause of a liablity)... so I made
                                    a bypass by saying "restitucne", I think it's one of those situations
                                    when this might just covere every possible meaning without anyone
                                    complaining.. see Czech below..

                                    Hano and others, is 'Tort' always an 'obcanskopravni delikt', or could
                                    it be just any 'delikt'?

                                    My current version of the sentence reads:

                                    SPOLEČNOST XXX NENÍ ZODPOVĚDNA (BEZ OHLEDU NA TO, ZDA BY TAKOVÁ
                                    ZODPOVĚDNOST VZNIKLA SMLUVNĚ, JAKO DŮSLEDEK OBČANSKOPRÁVNÍHO DELIKTU
                                    (VČETNĚ NEDBALOSTI), PORUŠENÍM ZÁKONNÝCH POVINNOSTÍ, RESTITUČNĚ ČI
                                    JINAK) ZA ŽÁDNÉ: (1) ZTRÁTY VÝDĚLKU: (2) OBCHODNÍ ZTRÁTY; (3) NEPŘÍMÉ,
                                    ZVLÁŠTNÍ NEBO NÁSLEDNÉ ZTRÁTY; (4) ŠKODY ZPŮSOBENÉ NEDBALOSTÍ, BEZ
                                    OHLEDU NA JEJICH CHARAKTER (VČETNĚ OBCHODNÍCH ZTRÁT, ZTRÁTY DAT A
                                    POŠKOZENÍ NEBO ŠPATNÉ FUNKCE POČÍTAČE); A (5) JAKÉKOLI JINÉ ŠKODY NEBO
                                    ZTRÁTY.

                                    Original:

                                    XXX SHALL NOT BE LIABLE (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                                    NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE) FOR
                                    ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
                                    OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS OF
                                    THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER
                                    BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.

                                    What do you think?

                                    > It's a), but it isn't "breach of contract" - just "contract". The
                                    >client
                                    >shall not be liable for 1-5, regardless of how this liability came to
                                    >be. (i.e., by contract, because of a tort, from a breach of statutory
                                    >duty, as a result of restitution or otherwise)
                                    >
                                    >As for "restitution", it can either mean "compensation" (see
                                    >http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/restitution) or maybe
                                    >they
                                    >actually mean "restituce" (Is the text from a Czech or central/eastern
                                    >European company? it could be that the author of the text is writing
                                    >in
                                    >a post-communist context...)
                                    >
                                    >Steve
                                    >
                                    >On 4/6/2011 9:53 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                                    >> Hi list,
                                    >>
                                    >> need a quick (due today noon-ish) advice on the following sentence:
                                    >>
                                    >> COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                                    >> NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)**
                                    >FOR
                                    >> ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF BUSINESS; (3) INDIRECT,
                                    >SPECIAL,
                                    >> OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, REGARDLESS
                                    >OF
                                    >> THE NATURE THEREOF (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF DATA,
                                    >COMPUTER
                                    >> BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION); AND (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                                    >>
                                    >> What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                                    >> RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?
                                    >>
                                    >> a) company is not liable for (1) to (5) regardless of whether the
                                    >> liability arises from breach of contract, tort, etc. etc. - what
                                    >would
                                    >> be the meaning of restitution then?
                                    >>
                                    >> or b) is not liable for 1 to 5 based on contract, tort, etc??, again,
                                    >> what would be the meaning of restitution then?
                                    >>
                                    >> ... never seen this type of sentence structure before
                                    >>
                                    >> (it's an End user licence agreement for a software)
                                    >>
                                    >> Thanks for any explanations (and/or Czech translations if anyone has
                                    >> one)
                                    >>
                                    >> Matej
                                    >>

                                    >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6017
                                    >(20110405) __________

                                    >http://www.eset.cz/

                                  • Hana Jarolímová
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                      Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie

                                      tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                                      zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ musime
                                      pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                                      cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                                      nahrada skody!!!!

                                      to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                        Diky Hanko, beru na vedomi..

                                        Nenapadne nekoho, jak tam jinak zamontovat tu restituci - jako ze jde o
                                        nejake plneni/kompenzaci ve vyznamu, jaky zminoval Stephan, ale aby to
                                        ceske slovo bylo podobne vseobjimajici? Ja jsem na nic krome toho, co
                                        jsem tam (alibisticky) dal, neprisel..

                                        (jen me to zajima, uz je to odevzdano..)

                                        > Tort - tak jsem prohrabala poznamky z justicni akademie
                                        >
                                        >tort je druh jednani, je to vylozene common law - je to o pravu, ne o
                                        >zakonu,v CZ se tomu da rict "civilni delikt", pri prekladu do CZ
                                        >musime
                                        >pouzivat terminologii, ktera prislusi obcanskemu pravu /zadny trestny
                                        >cin, zadny prestupek/ - neni tam trest, neni tam vina - je pokuta a
                                        >nahrada skody!!!!
                                        >
                                        >to be liable in tort = byt odpovedny z civilniho deliktu
                                        >

                                        >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 6018
                                        >(20110406) __________

                                        >http://www.eset.cz/

                                      • Alena Ryšková 2e
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                          Ahoj vsichni,
                                          mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                          Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                          Alena

                                        • Melvyn
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                            Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                            M.

                                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                            > Ahoj vsichni,
                                            > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                            > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                            > Alena

                                          • Alena Rysková 2e
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                              To by mohlo byt, diky.
                                              Alena

                                              Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                              M.

                                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                              > Ahoj vsichni,
                                              > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology, Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                              > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                              > Alena

                                            • Vlastimila Palíková
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                                Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom „vyzkum“. Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                                ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                                _____

                                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                                Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                                > Ahoj vsichni,
                                                > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                                Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                                > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                                tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                                > Alena

                                                __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                                http://www.nod32.cz

                                              • Alena Rysková 2e
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                                  Spolecnost, u ktere se zada o grant, farmaceuticka je, ale jinak se v cele zadosti uz o vyzkumu nehovori, jen je tam ta jedna kolonka.
                                                  Alena
                                                  Hm, ja bych dala spise jenom "vyzkum". Pokud to nevyplyva nejak z kontextu,
                                                  ze se jedna o farmaceuticky nebo nejaky konkretni vyzkum teda. Vlasta

                                                  _____

                                                  Koukam, ze se casto vyskytuje ve vyrazu drug discovery research. Muze to byt
                                                  ono? Farmaceuticky vyzkum?

                                                  M.

                                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                                  Alena Ryšková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                                                  > Ahoj vsichni,
                                                  > mam ve formulari (zadost o grant) vyjmenovane specializace (Rheumatology,
                                                  Neurology,...) a taky Discovery Research. Znamena to objevny vyzkum?
                                                  > Omlouvam se, pokud je to pro nekoho jasne jak facka, ale normalne se na
                                                  tomto poli nepohybuji...
                                                  > Alena

                                                  __________ Informace od NOD32 6018 (20110406) __________

                                                  http://www.nod32.cz

                                                • Mike Trittipo
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                                    On Apr 6 2011, Matej Klimes wrote:
                                                    >COMPANY X SHALL NOT BE LIABLE **(WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING
                                                    >NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY, RESTITUTION OR OTHERWISE)** FOR
                                                    >ANY: (1) LOSS OF EARNINGS: (2) LOSS OF . . . (5) ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS.
                                                    >
                                                    >What is the meaning of the bits between the asterisks aND ITS
                                                    >RELATIONSHIP TO THE REST?

                                                    Your (a), as Stephan noted. Company X is not liable under any imaginable
                                                    theory for any of 1 through 5 (well, not under any legal theory the writer
                                                    can imagine anyone trying to use). "Restitution" would be just another
                                                    legal theory for trying to make it pay -- basically like indemnity (here,
                                                    restitution just means making it whole, restoring to it the amount of its
                                                    loss).
                                                  • Milan Condak
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 6, 2011
                                                      1. nalezeno v textu Deloitte Czech Republic

                                                      http://mymemory.translated.net/s.php?q=%22Tort%22&sl=en-GB&tl=cs-CZ

                                                      "protipravni jednani" , "obcanskopravni delikt" , "obecna obcanskopravni
                                                      odpovednost"

                                                      2. nenalezeno v databazi TAUS

                                                      Milan