Re: terminology and unclear sentences

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
      > You don't pinch sails (unless I suppose you pinch them from someone),
      > you pinch a boat - when sailing close-hauled

      I am sure you are right. All the same, I wonder what this jolly Jack Tar had in mind:

      >suggested I call myself Captain Pinchy as I pinch the sails too much when sailing on a close haul.
      http://www.anything-sailing.com/showthread.php/6950-Another-from-Charlotte

      Or this one:
      If it is important to get to windward as fast as possible, I will turn on one engine and pinch the sails extremely close to the wind.
      http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/how-close-47206.html

      :-) And here is a special dedication for Matej:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7SVMVrick

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
        Awwright then, I suppose you can sail pinch the sails and mean pinch
        the boat - since the two are connected and steering the boat upwind
        turns the sails upwind as well (and gets them flapping)... it wouldn't
        be much use just hauling in the sails tight and still steering the
        original course, or hauling the sails in too tight (to the point of
        pulling them across to start flapping) while steering true...

        What I'm trying to say is that pinching is done by steering, the sails
        are already pulled in tight for upwind and then you steer the boat into
        the 'dead angle' just a little bit when you have a chance, without
        doing anything to the sails and taking care not to get the boat turned
        by the wind...

        I guess the main problem with that translation is that the only pirate
        tradition we have in Czech literature is based on Vltava and involves
        Primator Dittrich, a paddle steamer ..

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
          'I suppose you can sail pinch the sails and mean pinch ..'

          that was 'you can SAY' of course...

          > Awwright then, I suppose you can sail pinch the sails and mean pinch
          >the boat - since the two are connected and steering the boat upwind
          >turns the sails upwind as well (and gets them flapping)... it wouldn't
          >be much use just hauling in the sails tight and still steering the
          >original course, or hauling the sails in too tight (to the point of
          >pulling them across to start flapping) while steering true...
          >
          >What I'm trying to say is that pinching is done by steering, the sails
          >are already pulled in tight for upwind and then you steer the boat
          >into
          >the 'dead angle' just a little bit when you have a chance, without
          >doing anything to the sails and taking care not to get the boat turned
          >by the wind...
          >
          >I guess the main problem with that translation is that the only pirate
          >tradition we have in Czech literature is based on Vltava and involves
          >Primator Dittrich, a paddle steamer ..

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011

            > I guess the main problem with that translation is that the only pirate
            > tradition we have in Czech literature is based on Vltava and involves
            > Primator Dittrich, a paddle steamer ..

            Perhaps a little judicious use of vodacky slang to render pirate talk might be considered a humorous touch.

            http://www.lavdis.cz/index.php?pg=222&ln=cz

            And Hana, tell your friend that if she joins Czechlist she gets a substantial discount on our pirate talk lessons:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKCkbWDGwE