Re: THP; Cz -> En

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
      Jirka B. wrote:

      >Is there an established expression or abbreviation in English for what is
      >"THP" (technicko-hospodarsky pracovnik) in Czech, meaning staff that is
      >technical (engineers) or administrative (office workers) as opposed to
      >workers and management (executives)?

      Hi Jirka,

      I do not think there is one established expression. Not in Britain, anyway.
      When I worked in the personnel department at British Telecom during my
      misspent youth we
      had a payroll for "technical and office staff". In Civil Service jobs I have
      often used the term "clerical"
      instead of "office" (though this probably does not fit your needs so well -
      clerical staff/personnel *can* just be those at
      the bottom end of the bureaucratic hierarchy - usage varies). However, I
      notice on the search
      engines that you get a lot more hits for "technical and administrative
      staff" or variations with a
      hyphen or a slash (1330 on Google as compared to 81 for my first solution).
      I also tried
      "technical and clerical staff" (506). Of course, search engine results are
      not necessarily a
      good indication of normal usage in English-speaking countries but in this
      case I found plenty
      of native anglophone examples for those with the most numerous hits.

      I prefer the word "staff" here because it is very often used to distinguish
      from higher
      management. Hence I would suggest "member of technical/administrative staff"
      or
      "technical/administrative staff member".

      As for your botanical problems I can only offer a couple of unqualified
      pointers. Check these
      out on the search engines:

      There is such a thing as Golden Beech and its Latin name Fagus sylvatica
      zlatia sounds
      promising.

      Astilbe astilbe crops up regularly with the name "false spirea"

      Surfinia Petunias

      As for your maple I haven't a clue. It seems there are loads of exotically
      named Japanese
      varieties.

      Do please bear in mind that I am only wearing my green hat again here.

      BTW there is a nice long list of Academy of Science online experts at

      http://www.cas.cz/cz/AkademickaRada/exp_www.htm

      Regards,

      Melvyn

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
        > From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

        > I do not think there is one established expression. Not in Britain,
        anyway.
        > When I worked in the personnel department at British Telecom during my
        > misspent youth we
        > had a payroll for "technical and office staff

        Thanks for all your hints. You've confirmed my choice.

        > There is such a thing as Golden Beech and its Latin name Fagus sylvatica
        > zlatia sounds
        > promising.
        >
        > Astilbe astilbe crops up regularly with the name "false spirea"
        >
        > Surfinia Petunias

        Great. I should have them all now. I see you spent some time on the Web for
        me; perhaps not only you. I appreciate that.

        Jirka