Re: Translation rate basis

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2000
      Vit Ruzicka wrote:

      > A customer of mine (at the prospective stage yet, though) has asked for a
      substantitation of the translation price, ie costs based on resources
      employed plus adequate salary.

      Your potential customer's inquiry is quite absurd. It reminds me strongly of
      the communist mode of thinking; you may still remember too. On the other
      hand, they might easily find your price very low in the light of such
      considerations, as Otto has pointed out, although Otto's account of a
      translator's expenses is close to the ideal condition - not my situation.
      You could easily impress those who ask with such theoretical costs of doing
      the job at a professional standard, but I don't think you should disclose
      your actual expenses, whether it's money or time. I don't simply think that
      this kind of question can be answered satisfactorily; you'll always drift in
      the midst of theoretical price ranges and real individuals' spendings with a
      high statistic deviation. Just mu view.

      Jirka Bolech
      Liberec, CR
    • Vit Ruzicka
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2000
        Hello Otto,
        thank you for the in-side answer. Naturally, I am far from being content with a provision of such information to a customer, not even to a prospective one. My point is that the costs are getting higher and rates (and some customers) tend to resist this reality of life.
        All the best
        Vit
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
          >A�customer of mine (at the prospective stage yet, though) has asked
          >for a substantitation of the translation price, ie costs based on
          >resources employed plus adequate salary.

          I'd say it's none of their damn business how you arrive at your
          prices. If your rates are competitive for the technical, linguistic,
          and service quality you provide, then I'd tell 'em to take it or
          leave it.

          Michael
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
            " >A customer of mine (at the prospective stage yet, though) has asked
            > >for a substantitation of the translation price, ie costs based on
            > >resources employed plus adequate salary.
            >
            > I'd say it's none of their damn business how you arrive at your
            > prices. If your rates are competitive for the technical, linguistic,
            > and service quality you provide, then I'd tell 'em to take it or
            > leave it.
            >
            > Michael

            You are right, Michael, and when I replied to this issue, I did not mean to
            comply with this strange requirement, but rather to embrace it as the issue
            standing alone: "expenses in doing translation business", which might be of
            interest for us.

            HOWEVER, I would like to add that some big, really big multinational
            companies have included this requirement in their subcontractor policy. But,
            to get a contract from such big company means to get high volume work
            secured for several years. In return, these big companies push their
            subcontractors really very hard, including inquiries of their expenses,
            pushing their price as low as they can get, and also try to set-up the
            contract in the most advantageous way for themselves, and the least
            advantageous way for contractors.

            Kostas
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 15, 2000
              >In return, these big companies push their
              >subcontractors really very hard, including inquiries of their expenses,
              >pushing their price as low as they can get, and also try to set-up the
              >contract in the most advantageous way for themselves, and the least
              >advantageous way for contractors.

              Count me out. If they're going to own you body and soul anyway, let
              'em hire you as an employee and pay your health insurance and pension
              contributions.

              Just MHO. :-)

              Michael
            • Otto Pacholik
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2000
                > But,
                > to get a contract from such big company means to get high volume work
                > secured for several years.

                I think this is the most dangerous way how to run your business. This may
                lead to you dependence on one source of income. And consequently, you become
                more "flexible" to any request of your one (two, three) big multinational
                customers. I have always tried to avoid such situation. Once such customers
                drops you this might mean a couple of months before you recover from such
                loss. Of course, if you manage to have big volume customer it would be
                nonsense to let him go. However, I prefer to subcontract a part of my work
                (even if this means more proofreading for me), in order to both keep my
                customer satisfied and avoid my dependence on him.

                Just MHO

                Otto