cover the wide receiver

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hi,

      Would you please help me understand what "cover the wide receiver" means in the following context

      One of my old friends is Matt Dillon and let me tell you-when it's just
      the guys hanging around, no one gives a shit what Matt Dillon looks like.
      He's gotta carry boxes or cover the wide receiver or pass the ball or do an
      equal amount of driving as the next guy.

      Thanks a lot

      Jiri

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
        nemohlo by to byt "vykryt utocnika" - vygooglila jsem, ze "wide
        receiver" je druh utocnika v americkem fotbale

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
          Jooo, diky moc, to sedi

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
            I assume that it isbecause the job of covering - i.e. marking - the
            wide receiver is not very glamorous or high profile. The quarterback
            and wide receiver are important positions in American football and
            covering the wide receiver - something like hlidani - is a defensive
            job for a workhorse and not one of the stars
            HTH