[Czechlist] Euro-English

  • Vesely Petr
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
      The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English
      will be the official language of the European Union rather than German,
      which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, the
      British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for
      improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become
      known as 'Euro-English' .

      In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will
      make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in
      favour of 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have
      one less letter.

      There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the
      troublesome 'ph' will be replaced with 'f'. This will make words like
      fotograf 20% shorter.

      In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
      to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
      Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
      always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
      horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should
      go away.

      By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th'
      with 'z' and 'w' with 'v'.

      During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining
      'ou' and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

      Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu
      understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

      Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in
      ze forst plas.

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        No, they're going to speaking Orwellian French.

        First "scheduling", "coordination" and "reconciliation" and some other words will all be replaced by "harmonization".

        No new word will be created to cover the correct meaning of "harmonization" now that the word has been distorted.

        And it will go from there.

        Jamie

        On Mar 2, 2011, at 1:51 AM, Vesely Petr wrote:

        > The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English
        > will be the official language of the European Union rather than German,
        > which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, the
        > British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for
        > improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become
        > known as 'Euro-English' .
        >
        > In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will
        > make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in
        > favour of 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have
        > one less letter.
        >
        > There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the
        > troublesome 'ph' will be replaced with 'f'. This will make words like
        > fotograf 20% shorter.
        >
        > In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
        > to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
        > Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
        > always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
        > horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should
        > go away.
        >
        > By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th'
        > with 'z' and 'w' with 'v'.
        >
        > During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining
        > 'ou' and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.
        >
        > Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu
        > understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.
        >
        > Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in
        > ze forst plas.

      • Petr
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
          Nezverejnil jsi to s 30dennim predstihem?
          Petr

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Vesely Petr" <vesely.email@...> wrote:

          > The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English
          > will be the official language of the European Union rather than German,
          > which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, the
          > British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for
          > improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become
          > known as 'Euro-English' .
          >
          > In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will
          > make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in
          > favour of 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have
          > one less letter.
          >
          > There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the
          > troublesome 'ph' will be replaced with 'f'. This will make words like
          > fotograf 20% shorter.
          >

          > In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
          > to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
          > Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
          > always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
          > horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should
          > go away.
          >

          > By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th'
          > with 'z' and 'w' with 'v'.
          >

          > During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining
          > 'ou' and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.
          >
          > Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu
          > understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.
          >
          > Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in
          > ze forst plas.

        • Vesely Petr
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
            To nevim, ale na WikiLeaks uz to visi ;-)

            P.

            Nezverejnil jsi to s 30dennim predstihem?
            Petr

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Vesely Petr" <vesely.email@...> wrote:

            > The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English
            > will be the official language of the European Union rather than German,
            > which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, the
            > British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for
            > improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become
            > known as 'Euro-English' .
            >
            > In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will
            > make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in
            > favour of 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have
            > one less letter.
            >
            > There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the
            > troublesome 'ph' will be replaced with 'f'. This will make words like
            > fotograf 20% shorter.
            >

            > In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
            > to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
            > Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
            > always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
            > horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should
            > go away.
            >

            > By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th'
            > with 'z' and 'w' with 'v'.
            >

            > During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining
            > 'ou' and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.
            >
            > Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu
            > understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.
            >
            > Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in
            > ze forst plas.

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
              Hi,

              Would you please help me understand what "cover the wide receiver" means in the following context

              One of my old friends is Matt Dillon and let me tell you-when it's just
              the guys hanging around, no one gives a shit what Matt Dillon looks like.
              He's gotta carry boxes or cover the wide receiver or pass the ball or do an
              equal amount of driving as the next guy.

              Thanks a lot

              Jiri

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
                nemohlo by to byt "vykryt utocnika" - vygooglila jsem, ze "wide
                receiver" je druh utocnika v americkem fotbale

              • Pilucha, Jiri
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
                  Jooo, diky moc, to sedi

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
                    I assume that it isbecause the job of covering - i.e. marking - the
                    wide receiver is not very glamorous or high profile. The quarterback
                    and wide receiver are important positions in American football and
                    covering the wide receiver - something like hlidani - is a defensive
                    job for a workhorse and not one of the stars
                    HTH