Re: HELP: unclear phrase

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:

      > Dear listmates,
      > I am struggling with a nasty (as usual) text from the European Commission and I just cannot come up with a good enough translation of the phrase “are followed-up appropriately and timely on the ground“. Especially, I do not understand what exactly they mean by “on the ground” here.
      > The context is:
      > “It will be important to ensure that high level political interventions on market access barriers are well prepared and based on all available political and economic information and are followed-up appropriately and timely on the ground.”

      "On the ground" can mean "v terenu", so here it effectively means something like "v praxi", on the physical premises concerned, not just at some abstract level.

      Another possible complication here is the (IMHO) faulty use of "timely". Although it looks like an adverb it is in fact an adjective and the correct form here is surely "in an appropriate and timely manner/fashion".

      And "followed-up" should "followed up".

    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
        Hi, Mary and Melvyn!