THP; Cz -> En

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
      Hello,

      Is there an established expression or abbreviation in English for what is
      "THP" (technicko-hospodarsky pracovnik) in Czech, meaning staff that is
      technical (engineers) or administrative (office workers) as opposed to
      workers and management (executives)?

      Jirka Bolech
      Liberec, CR
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
        Jirka B. wrote:

        >Is there an established expression or abbreviation in English for what is
        >"THP" (technicko-hospodarsky pracovnik) in Czech, meaning staff that is
        >technical (engineers) or administrative (office workers) as opposed to
        >workers and management (executives)?

        Hi Jirka,

        I do not think there is one established expression. Not in Britain, anyway.
        When I worked in the personnel department at British Telecom during my
        misspent youth we
        had a payroll for "technical and office staff". In Civil Service jobs I have
        often used the term "clerical"
        instead of "office" (though this probably does not fit your needs so well -
        clerical staff/personnel *can* just be those at
        the bottom end of the bureaucratic hierarchy - usage varies). However, I
        notice on the search
        engines that you get a lot more hits for "technical and administrative
        staff" or variations with a
        hyphen or a slash (1330 on Google as compared to 81 for my first solution).
        I also tried
        "technical and clerical staff" (506). Of course, search engine results are
        not necessarily a
        good indication of normal usage in English-speaking countries but in this
        case I found plenty
        of native anglophone examples for those with the most numerous hits.

        I prefer the word "staff" here because it is very often used to distinguish
        from higher
        management. Hence I would suggest "member of technical/administrative staff"
        or
        "technical/administrative staff member".

        As for your botanical problems I can only offer a couple of unqualified
        pointers. Check these
        out on the search engines:

        There is such a thing as Golden Beech and its Latin name Fagus sylvatica
        zlatia sounds
        promising.

        Astilbe astilbe crops up regularly with the name "false spirea"

        Surfinia Petunias

        As for your maple I haven't a clue. It seems there are loads of exotically
        named Japanese
        varieties.

        Do please bear in mind that I am only wearing my green hat again here.

        BTW there is a nice long list of Academy of Science online experts at

        http://www.cas.cz/cz/AkademickaRada/exp_www.htm

        Regards,

        Melvyn

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
          > From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

          > I do not think there is one established expression. Not in Britain,
          anyway.
          > When I worked in the personnel department at British Telecom during my
          > misspent youth we
          > had a payroll for "technical and office staff

          Thanks for all your hints. You've confirmed my choice.

          > There is such a thing as Golden Beech and its Latin name Fagus sylvatica
          > zlatia sounds
          > promising.
          >
          > Astilbe astilbe crops up regularly with the name "false spirea"
          >
          > Surfinia Petunias

          Great. I should have them all now. I see you spent some time on the Web for
          me; perhaps not only you. I appreciate that.

          Jirka