Re: [Czechlist] Fibrinolysates

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
      Ahoj Bobe,

      Nemam cely kontext (na webu se do clanku neda dostat), ale tipl bych si
      na fragmenty fibrinu. A preklenovaci struktura nezni spatne.

      Ty jeste zijes? Uz jsme o tobe hooodne dlouho neslyseli.

      Martin

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
        Hi list...

        I need to decide on terminology for the above and not sure abut US v.s.
        rest of the worls preferences..

        - If you have a thing to carry a single bicycle on the roof of your car
        - and I'm talking about the thing itself
        (http://thule.com/en-GB/CZ/Products/BikeCarriers/RoofCarriers/Thule%20ProRide%20591.aspx),
        it's a 'bicycle carrier' in Uk English, and a 'bike carrier' and/or
        'bike rack' in US English?? Is bike rack more of a multiple bike (whole
        arrangement) term?

        - The cross things that connect two roof-mounted bars (which are part
        of the car) are called crossbars, or load bars?
        http://thule.com/en-GB/CZ/Products/BaseRacks/LoadBars.aspx

        crossbars seem clearer, is there a US/UK difference?

        - In general, a roof rack anything on a car's roof to strap things to?

        - If you had a bike carrier (assuming we're going to call it that, see
        point 1 above) that was not one piece, but three separate 'clamps', two
        for handlebars and one with a tube on it that goes into the seatpost
        tube of your bike (after the seatpost is removed)... (all of them mount
        onto the crossbars) can you still call it a bike carrier?

        I haven't been able to find one internationally, but the Czech
        manufacturer calls it "tribodovy stresni nosic kol" - does 'Three-point
        roof-mounted bicycle carrier' sound too much of a mouthful?

        Thanks for any ideas

        Matej
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
          On Jan 30, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

          > it's a 'bicycle carrier' in Uk English, and a 'bike carrier' and/or
          > 'bike rack' in US English?? Is bike rack more of a multiple bike (whole
          > arrangement) term?

          For the US, "bike carrier" is a better term for the car thing, because "bike racks" are usually heavy steel contraptions cemented to ground behind schools and in shopping areas. (Kids arranging fist fights may yell to each other, "After school by the bike racks!")

          > - The cross things that connect two roof-mounted bars (which are part
          > of the car) are called crossbars, or load bars?
          > http://thule.com/en-GB/CZ/Products/BaseRacks/LoadBars.aspx
          > crossbars seem clearer, is there a US/UK difference?

          "Crossbars" is better for the US.

          > - In general, a roof rack anything on a car's roof to strap things to?

          The rack on top of the car to strap things to is traditionally called a "luggage carrier" or "luggage rack" in the US.

          > - If you had a bike carrier (assuming we're going to call it that, see
          > point 1 above) that was not one piece, but three separate 'clamps', two
          > for handlebars and one with a tube on it that goes into the seatpost
          > tube of your bike (after the seatpost is removed)... (all of them mount
          > onto the crossbars) can you still call it a bike carrier?

          Yes.

          > I haven't been able to find one internationally, but the Czech
          > manufacturer calls it "tribodovy stresni nosic kol" - does 'Three-point
          > roof-mounted bicycle carrier' sound too much of a mouthful?

          That would be fine, as long as you don't use so long a term in every other sentence. ;-)

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
            Thanks Jamie, now all I need is for someone from the other side of the
            pond to confirm..

            Re bike racks, yes, steel things to hold bikes do crop up in google
            images a lot, but look at this site http://www.bikerackshops.com/

            they do use it for bike carriers too, alth. when you click into
            individual categories, some of them are headed bike carriers :)

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
              Now for the more difficult ones:

              this particular carrier has two small brackets for handlebars that you
              fix to one crossbar and then one part on the other crossbar that has a
              hinged plastic 'peg' which slides into the seatpost tube and is locked
              down with the seatpost clamp's quick release.. the 'peg' has adjustable
              diameter and angle... is 'peg' the right term for a 15 sm long round
              bit of plastic, or should I use 'pin' or even something else? The Czech
              original is TRN, but that's a bit outdated..

              The bits that hold the handlebars down: I would normally call them
              brackets, except that they come apart into bits that hold the bars -
              which I suppose could be clamps and bits that support the handlebars,
              clamps being SPONY and supports being PODPERKY (square bits of plastic,
              really) in Czech... do supports and clapms sound good to native ears??

              The instructions are (in the great Czech tradition) extremely
              complicated and scientifically-sounding, so I'm trying to make both the
              logic and the terminology a bit user-friendlier..

              Thanks for your thoughts

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                On Jan 30, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                > this particular carrier has two small brackets for handlebars that you
                > fix to one crossbar and then one part on the other crossbar that has a
                > hinged plastic 'peg' which slides into the seatpost tube and is locked
                > down with the seatpost clamp's quick release.. the 'peg' has adjustable
                > diameter and angle... is 'peg' the right term for a 15 sm long round
                > bit of plastic, or should I use 'pin' or even something else? The Czech
                > original is TRN, but that's a bit outdated..

                I have no reliable feel for metric measurements, and I don't know how long an "sm" is. If it's long, it could be a shaft.

                > The bits that hold the handlebars down: I would normally call them
                > brackets, except that they come apart into bits that hold the bars -
                > which I suppose could be clamps and bits that support the handlebars,
                > clamps being SPONY and supports being PODPERKY (square bits of plastic,
                > really) in Czech... do supports and clapms sound good to native ears??

                Sounds fine.

                > The instructions are (in the great Czech tradition) extremely
                > complicated and scientifically-sounding, so I'm trying to make both the
                > logic and the terminology a bit user-friendlier..

                In cases like that, you have to translate to get equivalent action on the part of the reader and forget the tone of the Czech instructions. Although that's not always easy if you can't see a picture.

              • zdenek_bobek
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                  Diky, Martine,

                  ty fragmenty fibrinu by mohly sedet. Asi je tam dam. Uvazoval jsem i o produktech stepeni fibrinu, ale neco mi na tom netento.
                  Ziju, tise sleduju diskusi, do zadných aktivit jsem se nazapojoval, mel jsem trochu obtizny obdobi. Ale uz je to OK.

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                    Produkty stepeni fibrinu jsou totez, akorat je to o trochu delsi a tim
                    padem se to hur usazuje do vety.

                    Tak to jsem rad, zes prekonal trable, a doufam, ze se nekde ukazes a
                    budes vypravet!

                    Martin

                    Dne 30.1.2011 21:20, zdenek_bobek napsal(a):
                    > Diky, Martine,
                    >
                    > ty fragmenty fibrinu by mohly sedet. Asi je tam dam. Uvazoval jsem i o
                    > produktech stepeni fibrinu, ale neco mi na tom netento.
                    > Ziju, tise sleduju diskusi, do zadných aktivit jsem se nazapojoval, mel
                    > jsem trochu obtizny obdobi. Ale uz je to OK.
                    >
                    > Bob

                    > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ahoj Bobe,
                    > >
                    > > Nemam cely kontext (na webu se do clanku neda dostat), ale tipl bych si
                    > > na fragmenty fibrinu. A preklenovaci struktura nezni spatne.
                    > >
                    > > Ty jeste zijes? Uz jsme o tobe hooodne dlouho neslyseli.
                    > >
                    > > Martin
                    > >

                    > > Dne 30.1.2011 16:14, zdenek_bobek napsal(a):
                    > > > Ahoj vespolek,
                    > > > I am translating a text about the use of PRP (platelet-rich plasma) in
                    > > > healing processes. There is a word I could not find in any
                    > dictionary. I
                    > > > roughly know what it might mean in Czech, but my dictionaries, manuals
                    > > > and imagination totally fail to find the correct Czech word.
                    > > > The English word is: fibrinolysates.
                    > > >
                    > > > Context:
                    > > > Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. A series of studies blah
                    > blah
                    > > > blah .... . There is ineffective healing of ACL tears because of the
                    > > > lack of a brisging scaffold joining the torn ends of the ligament, and
                    > > > due to in part to intra-articular fibrinolysates that inhibit formation
                    > > > of a bridging fibrin clot. Application of a collagen hydrogel scaffold
                    > > > containing PRP has been found .... blah blah blah
                    > > >
                    > > > P.S. Moreover, if you have any idea for the "scaffold" better than
                    > > > "preklenovaci struktura" then do tell me.
                    > > >
                    > > > Bob

                  • Petr
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                      Já nevím, proč se tak štítíte fibrinolýzy a jejích produktů.
                      Petr Adámek
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                      > Produkty stepeni fibrinu jsou totez, akorat je to o trochu delsi a tim
                      > padem se to hur usazuje do vety.
                      >
                      > Tak to jsem rad, zes prekonal trable, a doufam, ze se nekde ukazes a
                      > budes vypravet!
                      >
                      > Martin
                      >

                      > Dne 30.1.2011 21:20, zdenek_bobek napsal(a):
                      > > Diky, Martine,
                      > >
                      > > ty fragmenty fibrinu by mohly sedet. Asi je tam dam. Uvazoval jsem i o
                      > > produktech stepeni fibrinu, ale neco mi na tom netento.
                      > > Ziju, tise sleduju diskusi, do zadných aktivit jsem se nazapojoval, mel
                      > > jsem trochu obtizny obdobi. Ale uz je to OK.
                      > >
                      > > Bob
                      > >
                      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > Martin Janda <mjanda@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Ahoj Bobe,
                      > > >
                      > > > Nemam cely kontext (na webu se do clanku neda dostat), ale tipl bych si
                      > > > na fragmenty fibrinu. A preklenovaci struktura nezni spatne.
                      > > >
                      > > > Ty jeste zijes? Uz jsme o tobe hooodne dlouho neslyseli.
                      > > >
                      > > > Martin

                      > > dictionary. I

                      > > blah

                    • Valerie Talacko
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Bike carrier in UK English as well - or cycle carrier. Either is fine.
                        Cycle a bit more formal than bike in a retail context for the actual
                        name of the thing - maybe to avoid confusion with motorbike stuff, e.g.
                        cycling helmet vs. bike helmet?

                        This is quite a good example - Halfords call it a cycle carrier, but say
                        it holds one bike, or two bikes.)

                        http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165477_langId_-1

                        and then one of Thule's is described as a bike carrier, and another as a
                        cycle carrier. You wouldn't say it held three cycles, though - the
                        actual things are bikes.

                        Valerie

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                          Sorry, that was a typo for cm, 15 cm would be 5 in, give or take...

                          Peg, shaft, or something else? It's one of those things where you can
                          use several words, but some are better than others and it's quite
                          difficult to get a feel for as a non-native...

                          Thanks

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                            Thanks Valerie,

                            I looked at Thule, obviously, but they are Swedish/International and
                            some of their terminology comes from translation and/or is unified,
                            although they do show some regional variation when you change your
                            location...

                            Yes, I decided to use bike for the bicycle that's being carried and
                            bicycle carrier to distinguish from motorbike (alth' that's quite
                            obvious).. Is bicycle too formal and cycle better, I've googledmore
                            bicycle carriers than cycle carriers, I think

                            > Bike carrier in UK English as well - or cycle carrier. Either is fine.
                            >Cycle a bit more formal than bike in a retail context for the actual
                            >name of the thing - maybe to avoid confusion with motorbike stuff, e.g.
                            >cycling helmet vs. bike helmet?
                            >
                            >This is quite a good example - Halfords call it a cycle carrier, but
                            >say
                            >it holds one bike, or two bikes.)
                            >
                            >http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165477_langId_-1
                            >
                            >and then one of Thule's is described as a bike carrier, and another as
                            >cycle carrier. You wouldn't say it held three cycles, though - the
                            >actual things are bikes.
                            >
                            >Valerie
                            >
                            >On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 18:05 +0000, Matej Klimes wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Thanks Jamie, now all I need is for someone from the other side of
                            >> the
                            >> pond to confirm..
                            >>
                            >> Re bike racks, yes, steel things to hold bikes do crop up in google
                            >> images a lot, but look at this site http://www.bikerackshops.com/
                            >>
                            >> they do use it for bike carriers too, alth. when you click into
                            >> individual categories, some of them are headed bike carriers :)

                          • Valerie Talacko
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                              Bike carrier would be fine, too - since as you say, it's hardly going to
                              mean motorbike here! I was just musing on the reason why "cycle" is
                              often used to refer to equipment - maybe also because it sounds more
                              sporty, since the sport/activity is referred to as cycling?

                              Bicycle carrier also fine, though. No harm at all in giving it its full
                              name, IMO (also no need to use different term from US).

                              On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 08:58 +0000, Matej Klimes wrote:

                              > Thanks Valerie,
                              >
                              > I looked at Thule, obviously, but they are Swedish/International and
                              > some of their terminology comes from translation and/or is unified,
                              > although they do show some regional variation when you change your
                              > location...
                              >
                              > Yes, I decided to use bike for the bicycle that's being carried and
                              > bicycle carrier to distinguish from motorbike (alth' that's quite
                              > obvious).. Is bicycle too formal and cycle better, I've googledmore
                              > bicycle carriers than cycle carriers, I think

                            • Charlie Stanford Translations
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                Personally (perhaps wrongly) I would have used bolt as a sort of general-purpose term for anything like that for fastening something (peg makes me think of either tent pegs or clothes pegs or marker pegs - not really something that would do the job).

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  Thanks Charlie,

                                  Isn't a bolt always threaded? Besides, there is a bolt in there, this
                                  is a different part

                                  This is a conical plastic cylinder, adjustable diameter to match that
                                  of the seatpost (30-45 mm/1-1.5 in) and about 15-20 cm/3-6 in long...
                                  that you slide into the seatpost tube and then fix with the bike's
                                  seatpost clamp... it's like a replacement seatpost, but it's fixed to a
                                  plate that's fixed to the roof rack of a car, it sticks up and you turn
                                  the bike upside down and slide the seatpost tube onto it...

                                  I'm looking for a generic term that describes a round cylindrical
                                  object that you put hollow objects onto/around, if I'm making myself
                                  clear..

                                  A pin would be much thinner/smaller, I think, and you'd put the pin
                                  into something, whereas here you put something (the bike's seatpost
                                  tube) onto the protruding thing...

                                  You're right about (clothes/tent) pegs, but isn't peg used technically
                                  as something round, unthreaded, connecting/fixing/centering type of
                                  thing??

                                  Incidentally, since we are on about bikes, those round cylindrical
                                  fooot rests that BMX bikers attach to their wheel axles to stand on
                                  while doing tricks are officially called pegs - they are about the same
                                  size, albeit their use and function is a bit different than what I have
                                  here...

                                  Other stuff I can come up with is: pivot, prong, plug, but none of
                                  those sounds right..

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                    Bolt is probably not right then... What about "stanchion" - defined as "an upright bar, beam, post, or support, as used when securing or supporting something." That would work for a vertical support-bar. Perhaps the others will disagree.... I can take it - honest!

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                      Or "support-bar" or rod. Jamie's suggestion of shaft would work as well I think

                                      > Bike carrier in UK English as well - or cycle carrier. Either is fine.
                                      >Cycle a bit more formal than bike in a retail context for the actual
                                      >name of the thing - maybe to avoid confusion with motorbike stuff, e.g.
                                      >cycling helmet vs. bike helmet?
                                      >
                                      >This is quite a good example - Halfords call it a cycle carrier, but
                                      >say
                                      >it holds one bike, or two bikes.)
                                      >
                                      >http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165477_langId_-1
                                      >
                                      >and then one of Thule's is described as a bike carrier, and another as
                                      >cycle carrier. You wouldn't say it held three cycles, though - the
                                      >actual things are bikes.
                                      >
                                      >Valerie
                                      >
                                      >On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 18:05 +0000, Matej Klimes wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> Thanks Jamie, now all I need is for someone from the other side of
                                      >> the
                                      >> pond to confirm..
                                      >>
                                      >> Re bike racks, yes, steel things to hold bikes do crop up in google
                                      >> images a lot, but look at this site http://www.bikerackshops.com/
                                      >>
                                      >> they do use it for bike carriers too, alth. when you click into
                                      >> individual categories, some of them are headed bike carriers :)

                                    • Hana Jarolímová
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                        Ahoj, nemate nekdo cas 10.2. na pulden tlumoceni? Je to odpadarska
                                        spolecnost, takze bych ocekavala tradicni mix techniky a ekonomiky.

                                        Cenu si domluvte sami, akorat se mi ozvete, preposlu kontakt prvnimu.

                                        Diky

                                        Hanka
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                          I think you should split the difference and call it a "bicycle carrier". It sounds a bit more formal, but there would be no confusion with motorbikes.

                                          In the US, "bike" would cause no confusion with motorbikes, because we rarely use that term. I guess people here don't ride motorcycles small enough and slow enough to be called a "motorbike", and I think that when there could be confusion, we leave "bike" meaning bicycle and call the hog or the crotch rocket a "motorcycle".

                                          Jamie

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                            When you're talking 15 cm, you're in the vague zone where it could be called a shaft or a peg, so I think either word is okay.

                                            Jamie

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                              In my mind, a bolt has to be threaded.

                                              JK

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                                What do the British call the kickstand?

                                                Jamie

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                                  Hmm, after more googling and wiki-surfing:

                                                  shaft - would have to be narrower and longer
                                                  rod - geometrically yes (minus being conical, mind you)... not sure if
                                                  it's clear here, though
                                                  peg - still like it, mainly because of the BMX connection, does peg
                                                  suggest short and stubby?
                                                  stanchion - bigger, longer, to do with handrails and safety lines, too
                                                  architecturally-sounding

                                                  This is frustrating, how can a language not have one clear term for one
                                                  distinct thing :)

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                                    kickstand....

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                                      This is my frustration with German and Czech technical translating. Those languages are hyper-precise about distinctions that don't matter to the Anglophone mind, and then they turn around and have just one term for five objects that we think are completely different.

                                                      JK

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                                        Stanchion can be to do with handrails and safety lines but it can also just refer to an upright bar used for supporting something - you have them on bikes as well (part of the fork) or they can be metal mounts securing the headrest to the seat in a car according to Wikipedia - I don't think they are restricted to fences and architecture.... You could call it the (vertical) mounting bar/support/upright/shaft/pole/post/rod (maybe) or just a "mount". I don't think peg works - too small. Valerie mentioned Halfords - you could always try ringing them and they'll tell you what the technical term is - might save a few hours of searching: +44 2380 635445

                                                        > Or "support-bar" or rod. Jamie's suggestion of shaft would work as
                                                        >well I think

                                                      • gogelovahelena
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 1, 2011
                                                          Já bych to také pøeložila jako produkty fibrinolýzy (eventuálnì štìpení fibrinu). V medicínì se takové výrazy bìžnì používají, naopak fragmenty fibrinu zní divnì.
                                                          Helena