andelska kapela

  • Charlie Stanford Translations
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
      Does anyone know what an andelska kapela is called in English - apparently figures of musical angels usually on the organ in Catholic churches. I am at a loss.
      Thanks for anything
      Charlie

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
        What's wrong with a Band of Angels, Charlie? It seems to be current in the
        English-speaking psyche : http://shop.cafepress.com/band-of-angels

        FWIW

        Gerry

        On 10 January 2011 14:37, Charlie Stanford Translations <
        charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know what an andelska kapela is called in English - apparently
        > figures of musical angels usually on the organ in Catholic churches. I am at
        > a loss.
        > Thanks for anything
        > Charlie

        7 Old Shoreham Road
        Brighton
        Sussex
        BN1 5DQ
        U.K.

        Tel/fax: ++ 44 01273208484

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
          Or here:
          http://thebicycles.info/product/Villeroy_Boch_Nostalgic_Ornaments_Band_of_Angels_Ornaments_Set_of_4

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
            I know some of them probably have musical instruments, but wouldn't it be okay just to use the fixed phrase "choir of angels"?

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
              Thanks Gerry - I am just a bit worried that it may sound a bit too secular for this particular text which is full of "high Catholic" stuff about the "aspersorium", "narthex", etc. - all new to me. I'll put that though and see.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
                "Band of Angels" sounds to me like a gang of criminals. Anything starting with "band of" implies either soldiers or criminals and doesn't necessarily imply music, unless the type of musician is specifically named.

                Jamie

                On Jan 10, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                > What's wrong with a Band of Angels, Charlie? It seems to be current in the
                > English-speaking psyche : http://shop.cafepress.com/band-of-angels
                >
                > FWIW
                >
                > Gerry
                >
                > On 10 January 2011 14:37, Charlie Stanford Translations <
                > charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Does anyone know what an andelska kapela is called in English - apparently
                > > figures of musical angels usually on the organ in Catholic churches. I am at
                > > a loss.
                > > Thanks for anything
                > > Charlie

                > --
                > 7 Old Shoreham Road
                > Brighton
                > Sussex
                > BN1 5DQ
                > U.K.
                >
                > Tel/fax: ++ 44 01273208484
                >
                > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                > And Eternity in an hour.

              • Gerald Turner
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
                  True. Perhaps "Angel Musicians" would avoid any undesirable connotations.

                  Gerry

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
                    Yes, I agree.

                    Jamie