Strange valency: "crew WAS confirmed the problem to be a ..."?

  • janvanek
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
      Happy arbitrary calendar roll-over everybody,

      I have a question that started (as it often does) in a suspicious sentence on a poor-quality Czech news website copying from English sources:

      <http://zpravy.idnes.cz/americky-boeing-musel-nouzove-pristat-v-torontu-pilot-rozlil-v-kabine-kavu-1bv-/zahranicni.asp?c=A110105_083901_zahranicni_stf>

      Podle agentury Transport Canada, která øídí letecký provoz nad Kanadou spustil neopatrný pilot letu 940 rozlitou kávou i kód 7500, který øídicí vì¾i znaèí, ¾e se letadla zmocnili únosci.
      "Posádka byla poté uji¹tìna, ¾e se jedná o problém s navigací a kód 7500 neplatí," uvedla Transport Canada na svém webu.

      I mean, it's obviously up to the crew to assure (and convince) the flight controllers, and not vice versa, that it was just a mistake and there is no hijacker in the cockpit; right?

      So I looked up the source <http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/05/canada.flight.diverted/>:

      "With the help of their company dispatch staff, the flight crew was confirmed the problem to be a NAV(navigation)/communication issue and not a valid code 7500 (for a hijacking or unlawful interference)," Transport Canada said on its website.

      After much wandering through the murky depths of said website, I was even able to find the original official "incident report" hidden at (blame Canada) <http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/rpt.aspx?lang=eng&rptcads=2011O0015&cads=&occdtefrom=2011-01-03&occdteto=2011-01-05&srchfldcd=6&txt=coffee&srchtype=1>; it is just as quoted.

      Now, "somebody was confirmed [that] something is so-and-so" is a rather strange verb valency I don't recall ever seeing. So I'd like advice from NSs (or good grammarians): is it some strange but possible bureaucratese on the order of "s posadkou bylo vykomunikovano", or an unambiguous mistake, most likely a superfluous "was"?

      Then it would seem strange that the media quoted it as is, without correction or at least a "sic" (OTOH the English-language media aren't, in my experience, principally better in source criticism than the Czech ones). Google finds just one occurence of the passage without "was" in a discussion <http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5026842/>, while many more similar ones retain it; the only other difference is the absence of the last two sentences of the first paragraph, so the possibility of there being an earlier version of the TC report which was edited later, mistakenly adding the "was", seems less likely than the poster correcting it on his own.

      Thanks for any insight,

      --
      Jan Vanìk jr. <http://massabob.cz>

      The only thing funnier than <http://www.czechoslovak-restaurant.co.uk/restaurant-menu/>: <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/8232344/Restaurant-review-Czechoslovak-Restaurant-London.html> - well, and possibly <http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs759.snc4/65987_1535597343395_1038665276_31525913_40737>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
        Hi Jan,

        > "... the flight crew was confirmed the problem to be a
        NAV(navigation)/communication issue..."

        I think this simply meas what the crew had said was proven true...

      • Milos Prudek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
          On 6.1.2011 2:48, janvanek wrote:
          > Now, "somebody was confirmed [that] something is so-and-so" is a rather
          > strange verb valency

          Have you considered that it is a typo?

          --
          Milos
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
            ... or the crew HAS confirmed ???

            >> "... the flight crew was confirmed the problem to be a
            >NAV(navigation)/communication issue..."
            >
            >I think this simply meas what the crew had said was proven true...
            >
            >Jirka Bolech

            >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 5763
            >(20110105) __________

            >http://www.eset.cz/

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011

              > ... or the crew HAS confirmed ???

              Right, pretty sure there's a banal explanation along these or similar lines. Some cock-up somewhere.

              The review of the Czechoslovak restaurant in London was good though. I think when I was last there they had the most expensive knedlo-vepro-zelo in the world.

              Happy Julian calendar Christmas.