Re: [Czechlist] Help: krouzkovani

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
      Hi Coilin,

      "Krouzkovani" should refer to the possibility of "circling" particular
      candidates on a political party's ballot the voter chooses to cast to
      indicate giving preference to such candidates. The ballot lists a good
      number of candidates and each candidate's position starts with a number.
      Nominally, the higher the position on the ballot, the more likely the
      candidate is to become a member of parlaiment if the party gets any
      chairs. You circle the number of the candidate(s) you want to become a
      member of parliament regardless of this nominal order.

      Somebody on Czechlist might be able to explain, better than me, how this
      has effectively changed the election mathematics. I am personally fed up
      with politics and have been ignoring related news...

    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
        Hi Coilin,

        In the Czech parliamentary election system, you can cast one vote (one
        ballot sheet) for one party. However, on the ballot sheet, you can also
        "circle" up to 4 (? - I believe) individual candidates to give each of
        them a preferential vote. If a candidate receives enough preferential
        votes, he/she goes to the Parliament irrespective of his/her original
        position on the ballot, as long as his/her party as a whole passes the
        5% threshold of all votes cast.

        In the past, people did not use this option very much, hence the first
        few people on the ballot sheet of a strong enough party (the "leader" of
        the party in a given region, + a few others) were sure to become MPs.
        However, in the last parliamentary elections, people did "circle" a lot,
        with many resulting "surprises".

        For instance, there was an initiative that encouraged people to circle
        the last four candidates on the ballot sheet of their party of choice.
        The rationale was to "change the faces" in the Parliament and replace
        the "old and corrupt" politicians with "new blood".

        As an example, Ivan Langer, the No. 1 man of the Civic Democrats (ODS)
        in the Olomouc region but believed to be involved in organized crime,
        did not make it to the Parliament because the voters gave enough
        preferential votes to other people.

        HTH,
        Josef

        On 30.12.2010 22:42, "Coilin" wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > Could someone please tell me what is meant by "krouzkovani" in the following? I presume it's some sort of metaphorical usage that might require some explanation, hence I'm a bit mystified... :-(
        >
        > Dukazem menici se situace muze byt vyvoj v ODS a CSSD. Tyto strany byly vytahem k moci a branou k ziskani velkeho majetku. Genialni myslenka opozicni smlouvy institucionalizovala velkou koalici jednou provzdy, cimz zrusila jakykoli vliv volicu v politice. Bylo lhostejne, zda volby vyhraje ODS nebo CSSD. Vzdy by ve vzajemne shode vladly a rozdelovaly si vynosy z ovladani zeme. Zaroveň bylo zajisteno, ze vitez voleb nikdy nebude vysetrovat predchoziho spravce zeme a poruseni zakonu, kterych se pripadně dopustil. Snad by se to dalo oznacit jako ,ukradena demokracie`.
        >
        > Tuto situaci nahle zmenilo ,krouzkovani` a vznik novych stran. Zatimco TOP 09 je pouhym pokracovatelem ODS, Veci verejne jsou novym fenomenem, ktery znepokojuje politiky polistopadovych stran. Je mozne, ze se VV rozlozi, nebo zaniknou, ukazuje se vsak, ze existuje cesta, jak se dostat do parlamentu a ovlivnovat politiku navzdory odporu velkych stran a penez.
        >
        > MTIA
        > Coilin

      • Coilin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
          Thanks a lot, Jiri. Now it's clear
          Coilin

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

          > This is what people did on a massive scale in the last election: on the ballot for their preferred party, they circled candidates from the bottom of the ballot, thus giving them preferential votes and eliminating the old party hands from the top of the ballot. In this way some of the oåd dinosaurs did not get reelected

        • pacelpacel123
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2011
            Hi, Coilin,

            "krouzkovat" means to indicate a ballot position (by encircling a candidate's number). See for instance: http://www2.essex.ac.uk/elect/database/legislationAll.asp?country=czech&legislation=cz95