Always in TagEditor

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 27, 2010
      I don't know anybody who wants to work in the TagEditor, if they can avoid it.

      However, I get work from agencies that want to send EVERYTHING as a TagEditor file. The thing that's striking is that they will even convert files to TTX that can be easily and flawlessly imported and exported by any of the major CAT tools.

      So I get Word files converted for the TagEditor, PowerPoint files converted for the TagEditor, Excel files converted for the TagEditor, INX files converted for the TagEditor, IDML files converted for the TagEditor, basically everything.

      Once I even got an INX file that I could easily have imported, but it had been converted to a different kind of XML and then to TTX, so the suffix was .inx.xml.ttx.

      Why do some project managers do this?! Does anybody know?

      Converting the translated TTX file into TM can't be the reason, because I can send them back TM in the same format they send to me.

      It's mystifying.

      And I never work on TagEditor files in the TagEditor.

      Jamie
    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 27, 2010
        Hi, Jamie!
        I am sorry that I am not able to answer your question, but since I have noticed this negative attitude towards TagEditor among a number of our colleagues, I would like to ask if you could sum up briefly what makes you dislike the application so much and what are the real advantages of working on ttx files in other applications (and which ones) instead. TIA.
        Best regards,
        Jarda

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 28, 2010
          Podle me nejde vubec o "working on ttx files in other applications", nybrz o to, jakou vyhodu vidi klient v tom, ze prevede trebas DOC na TTX. V DOC je videt, jak bude doument vypadat. V TTX mate jenom sled jednotlivych vet, do toho spousta tagu, o jejichz smyslu nemate predstavu, nevite, jestli se neco stane, kdyz je do prekladu nedate. TagEditor vas stavi do role automatu vic nez kterakoli ze zminenych aplikaci. K TTX souboru vzdycky potrebujete jeste originalni PDF nebo PP prezentaci, abyste vedeli, co to vlastne prekladate. Kdyz zpracovavate trebas soubor DOC primo v Tradosu, mate taky vetsi moznost upravit strukturu tak, aby byl preklad idiomaticky - trebas prehozenim dvou vet. V TagEditoru jste mnohem vic omezeni. Je pravda, ze neznam vsechny moznosti TagEditoru,ale patrim k tem, kdo ho maji vyslovene neradi.
          Petr Adamek

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 28, 2010
            I agree with all this, and I know that many project managers don't like the TagEditor because translators don't know where to put the tags, forget to insert them, etc. This happens even with translators, like me, who actually know how to code by hand in a markup language.

            The way the TagEditor breaks up the segments and places the tags makes it more difficult to deal with situations where the sentence structure of the target language and source language differ a lot. Sometimes, when this ends up in TM, it results in segments that contain the first half of a source sentence but the last half of a target sentence. The original full sentence is lost to the ages.

            I never properly learned the TagEditor or any of the obsolete components of Trados, but I can say that it has the same time-wasting feature that Star Transit has, which is to require the translator to keep picking up the mouse, highlighting the target text and overtyping. This alone triples my time over tools that have a grid format, do not require highlighting and overtyping, and that show me as few tags as possible.

            The main problem is that the TagEditor is obsolete technology, and other tools do its work better than it does itself. There are quite a lot of time-saving mechanisms in CAT tools now that are not in the TagEditor. You can't filter for specific words and phrases to check consistency, for example. There is no document view. The list of disadvantages is long.

            However, back to the original question. It makes no sense to me for an agency to send a TTX file that's derived from a format that I can easily import into a modern CAT tool directly. It makes no sense to deprive the translator of the document view while adding all kinds of tags he would not see in a directly imported document.

            On rare occasions I have asked project managers why they have converted importable files to TTX. In one case, the project manager told me that other people use tools that can't import those file types, so she was sending them to me as TTX too. In other words, they were making me work according to the preferences of people using 10-year-old technology.

            Jamie

            On Dec 28, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Petr wrote:

            > Podle me nejde vubec o "working on ttx files in other applications", nybrz o to, jakou vyhodu vidi klient v tom, ze prevede trebas DOC na TTX. V DOC je videt, jak bude doument vypadat. V TTX mate jenom sled jednotlivych vet, do toho spousta tagu, o jejichz smyslu nemate predstavu, nevite, jestli se neco stane, kdyz je do prekladu nedate. TagEditor vas stavi do role automatu vic nez kterakoli ze zminenych aplikaci. K TTX souboru vzdycky potrebujete jeste originalni PDF nebo PP prezentaci, abyste vedeli, co to vlastne prekladate. Kdyz zpracovavate trebas soubor DOC primo v Tradosu, mate taky vetsi moznost upravit strukturu tak, aby byl preklad idiomaticky - trebas prehozenim dvou vet. V TagEditoru jste mnohem vic omezeni. Je pravda, ze neznam vsechny moznosti TagEditoru,ale patrim k tem, kdo ho maji vyslovene neradi.
            > Petr Adamek
            >
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, Jamie!
            > > I am sorry that I am not able to answer your question, but since I have noticed this negative attitude towards TagEditor among a number of our colleagues, I would like to ask if you could sum up briefly what makes you dislike the application so much and what are the real advantages of working on ttx files in other applications (and which ones) instead. TIA.
            > > Best regards,
            > > Jarda

          • Tomas Mosler
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 28, 2010
              I have no issues with TE and dare to question a few things...

              > I never properly learned the TagEditor or any of the obsolete components of Trados, but I can say that it has the same time-wasting feature that Star Transit has, which is to require the translator to keep picking up the mouse, highlighting the target text and overtyping.

              Why that overtyping would be needed? You can get a blank target line and then insert tags (Alt+Ctrl+arrows) where necessary along the translation - in which case this would not work?

              > There is no document view.

              How is it different from the Preview function?

              > K TTX souboru vzdycky potrebujete jeste originalni PDF nebo PP prezentaci, abyste vedeli, co to vlastne prekladate.

              Kolik (ktere) CAT programu umoznuje zobrazeni zdrojoveho i ciloveho segmentu primo v PDF a PPT?

              Dekuji,
              Tomas
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 28, 2010
                On Dec 28, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

                > > K TTX souboru vzdycky potrebujete jeste originalni PDF nebo PP prezentaci, abyste vedeli, co to vlastne prekladate.
                >
                > Kolik (ktere) CAT programu umoznuje zobrazeni zdrojoveho i ciloveho segmentu primo v PDF a PPT?

                MemoQ, the current version of Trados, and I believe Star Transit, have a document view integrated into the interface, so you don't have to switch to a preview pane. It shows the Word, Excel or PowerPoint document in real time as you translate it. You don't have to toggle around and look at what has been produced, because it's always there in front of you, unless you close the window.

                No program does this with PDFs. However, as happened to me this week, you can get silly situations where the agency converts the PPT file into a TTX file for you to translate, and then converts it to a PDF file also, so that you can toggle back and forth and look at it. They could merely give you the PPT file, you could import it, and you can view it in the document preview of a good CAT tool.

                I also would like to ask if you would prefer to translate a Word document converted to a TTX file to one that you have imported to Trados or some other tool.

              • Milos Prudek
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 29, 2010
                  > it results in segments that contain the first half of a source sentence but
                  > the last half of a target sentence. Th

                  This. I just finished a translation with image callouts split on multiple
                  lines, such as:

                  wire terminal
                  block clamp
                  lid

                  This was split into three segments. One segment per line. Czech word order is
                  basically the reverse of English in this context. So this gives correct
                  translation as a whole but incorrect individual segments.

                  The pitfall is that the client insisted on not paying for 100% matches. This
                  decision guaranteed that I created totally incorrect translation, because I do
                  not touch segment which I am not paid for.

                  After carefully explaining the situation, the client did a U-turn and now
                  agrees to pay for the 100% matches (the usual 10% of my rate).

                  --
                  Milos Prudek
                • Tomas Mosler
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 29, 2010
                    > I also would like to ask if you would prefer to translate a Word document converted to a TTX file to one that you have imported to Trados or some other tool.

                    I'm not sure what do you mean with "imported to Trados", but if you mean translating the file directly in Word with Trados, then I prefer translating these as TTX, with a few exceptions. The major reasons are:
                    - Word (or Trados) often doesn't keep opening the segments on the same line (absolutely), but slowly moves them to the top as the translation progresses (if this is correct English). This seems to be possible to fix with a different view, but still I don't like that "play".
                    - Segment to segment change is slower in Word (for me at least).

                    Tomas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 29, 2010
                      Are you talking about modern Trados or the obsolete versions of Trados? Your explanation isn't making any sense to me.

                      Jamie

                      On Dec 29, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

                      > > I also would like to ask if you would prefer to translate a Word document converted to a TTX file to one that you have imported to Trados or some other tool.
                      >
                      > I'm not sure what do you mean with "imported to Trados", but if you mean translating the file directly in Word with Trados, then I prefer translating these as TTX, with a few exceptions. The major reasons are:
                      > - Word (or Trados) often doesn't keep opening the segments on the same line (absolutely), but slowly moves them to the top as the translation progresses (if this is correct English). This seems to be possible to fix with a different view, but still I don't like that "play".
                      > - Segment to segment change is slower in Word (for me at least).
                      >
                      > Tomas

                    • Tomas Mosler
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 29, 2010
                        That depends on when has the modern Trados started?
                        I maybe don't understand your original question then, too. :)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 29, 2010
                          There's a huge difference between the interface of "modern" Trados (2009) and the previous editions that they're trying to get people to stop using. It's no longer a macro in Word, and it has a WYSIWYG document interface.

                          Jamie

                          On Dec 29, 2010, at 3:25 PM, Tomas Mosler wrote:

                          > That depends on when has the modern Trados started?
                          > I maybe don't understand your original question then, too. :)
                          >
                          > Tomas
                          >
                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Are you talking about modern Trados or the obsolete versions of Trados? Your explanation isn't making any sense to me.
                          > >
                          > > Jamie

                          > > > I'm not sure what do you mean with "imported to Trados", but if you mean translating the file directly in Word with Trados, then I prefer translating these as TTX, with a few exceptions. The major reasons are:
                          > > > - Word (or Trados) often doesn't keep opening the segments on the same line (absolutely), but slowly moves them to the top as the translation progresses (if this is correct English). This seems to be possible to fix with a different view, but still I don't like that "play".
                          > > > - Segment to segment change is slower in Word (for me at least).
                          > > >
                          > > > Tomas

                        • Josef Hlavac
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 29, 2010
                            One possible reason: One client of mine uses a complex custom automation
                            infrastructure built around .ttx files (it automates various tasks
                            within the translation and TM management workflow, in some 30+
                            languages). Switching to another format would mean a huge investment of
                            money and labour, plus forcing all their (Trados-capable) translators to
                            buy and learn a different CAT -- I can't see that happening.

                            By the way, what exactly do you use to translate .ttx files?

                            Josef

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 1, 2011
                              On Dec 29, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

                              > One possible reason: One client of mine uses a complex custom automation
                              > infrastructure built around .ttx files (it automates various tasks
                              > within the translation and TM management workflow, in some 30+
                              > languages). Switching to another format would mean a huge investment of
                              > money and labour, plus forcing all their (Trados-capable) translators to
                              > buy and learn a different CAT -- I can't see that happening.

                              I thought that in some cases this might be what's happening.

                              > By the way, what exactly do you use to translate .ttx files?

                              I use MemoQ to translate TTX files, and often also Star Transit files.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 3, 2011
                                ....MemoQ, the current version of Trados, and I believe Star Transit,
                                have a document view integrated into the interface,
                                No program does this with PDFs.

                                Actually, the new Transit (NXT) does - if you import the source PDF (or
                                any other format) into the working folder (or show the app the path to
                                it), it will be displayed in a pop-up (or permanent) preview window...
                                it's VERY useful for complicated pdf's where after import bits of text
                                from charts, images etc. appear completely randomly all over the text
                                you are working on in CAT and are very difficult to locate in the
                                original document... I even had a file where a long list of three-line
                                sentences was broken up into individual lines and mixed up randomly...
                                I sent that one back to the PM... I believe these things happen when
                                the pdf is imported from the original graphic design application

                                In any case Transit NXT is really handy with this, but I don't think
                                this feature alone will make anyone upgrade (as they want a full and
                                very hefty price even from current users of previous version), unless
                                you work with those types of pdf's regularly.. NXT also has
                                compatibility problems with previous version...

                                I personally Use an extra monitor where I display the original file
                                (Word, PPT, pdf, XLS, anything), because there will almost always be
                                some confusing bit of text out of context that you are not sure where
                                to put (in the language layout)..

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2011
                                  Zdravim v novem roce,

                                  mame tady nejake odborniky na "normalizaci"?

                                  Kamarad me pozadal o radu a ja s tim moc zkusenosti nemam..

                                  Existuje/li Rakouska nebo Evropska norma, ktera nema CZ protejsek
                                  (alespon to vypada, ze ne).., jaky je postup?

                                  Konkretne jde o normu tykajici se skladovani a prodeje sypkych tuhych
                                  paliv (drevene peletky)... ten kamarad s nimi obchoduje a tu normu by
                                  chtel dobrovolne dodrzovat aby se tim mohl branit v pripade nejake
                                  reklamace, kdy zakaznik nedodrzi podminky skladovani...

                                  Norma je to dost specificka, ma k dispozici jen rakouskou normu v
                                  anglictine (Onorm N 7136, respektive Onorm M 7137)..

                                  V jinych zemich existuji zda se normy pro vyrobu pelet (ekvivalent
                                  Onorm 7135), ale je to v kazde zemi zvlast, neni celoevropska norma..
                                  tyhle specificke, tykajici se dopravy a skladovani jsou zda se jen v
                                  Rakousku...

                                  Je to tak, ze pokud je Evropska norma, mus se drive nebo pozdeji
                                  objevit jeji ceska verze, respektive musi byt implementovana do nejake
                                  CSN, ale pokud existuji jen narodni normy, v cesku a cestine se
                                  oficialne nic neobjevi dokud na to nebude mistni tlak???

                                  Diky za nazory

                                  Matej

                                • Milan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                                    Pritel Google nabizi ceske CSN jak na palivo, tak na horaky do kotle:

                                    staci napsat C¡SN + peletky.

                                    Doufam, ze to pomuze,

                                    Milan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                                      To ano, ale to jsou normy na peletky a normy na kotle..

                                      ja hledam normy na skladovani a prepravu peletek, respektive me
                                      zajimalo, jestli ma nekdo poneti, jak to chodi v oblastech, kde dosud v
                                      CR norma neni, ale v jinych statech uz je, pritom ale neni Evropska..

                                      > Pritel Google nabizi ceske CSN jak na palivo, tak na horaky do kotle:
                                      >
                                      >staci napsat C¡SN + peletky.
                                      >
                                      >Doufam, ze to pomuze,
                                      >
                                      >Milan
                                      >

                                      >__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 5761
                                      >(20110105) __________

                                      >http://www.eset.cz/

                                    • Milan Condak
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 9, 2011
                                        Doporucil jsem Matejovi (mimo skupinu) kontaktovat prodejce norem,
                                        zivnostniky.
                                        Měli by byt pruznejsi nez UNMZ.

                                        http://www.unmz.cz/urad/csn-on-line

                                        Potom jsem si vzpomnel, ze jsem stranky
                                        Ustavu pro technickou normalizaci, metrologii a statni zkusebnictvi
                                        uz kdysi navstivil a stahl jsem si nejake glosare.

                                        On-line jsou databaze zde:

                                        http://terminologie.unmz.cz/Default.aspx

                                        Potom jsem nasel kdysi stazena data a testoval jsem ruzne nastroje
                                        k jejich prohlizeni bez toho, abych je pripojoval nebo importoval do CAT.

                                        Vysledek sdelim priste.

                                        Milan