JOB Slovak to English

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 7, 2000
      PLEASE DO NOT REPOST THIS MESSAGE TO OTHER LISTS!

      I have six pages (about 6 NS at a glance; I haven't tried to count it
      carefully) of a personal letter that need to be translated from
      Slovak to English. I won't have time to do it this week myself, and
      my experience with Slovak (especially colloquial Slovak) is limited.
      It's handwritten, but the handwriting is quite clear. Anyone
      interested? Native English speakers only, please. If I haven't
      already worked with you in the past, please provide a resume/CV and
      short work sample (with original) enclosed in a StuffIt or Zip file,
      using your last name as the filename.

      Thanks,
      Michael

      8325 Emerald Hills Way #518
      North Richland Hills, TX 76180, USA
      Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239
      Fax/Modem (+1-817) 514-6413
      mailto:bdanube@...
      http://www.bdanube.com
    • Radovan Pletka
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
        The only native English speaker which can handle this will need to have
        home native Czech/Slovak wife, otherwise I bet there will be some serious
        mistakes due to lack of understanding. How good is a well written
        translation with sometimes dangerous errors (-:

        At 06:48 PM 02/07/2000 -0600, you wrote:
        >From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
        >
        >PLEASE DO NOT REPOST THIS MESSAGE TO OTHER LISTS!
        >
        >I have six pages (about 6 NS at a glance; I haven't tried to count it
        >carefully) of a personal letter that need to be translated from
        >Slovak to English. I won't have time to do it this week myself, and
        >my experience with Slovak (especially colloquial Slovak) is limited.
        >It's handwritten, but the handwriting is quite clear. Anyone
        >interested? Native English speakers only, please. If I haven't
        >already worked with you in the past, please provide a resume/CV and
        >short work sample (with original) enclosed in a StuffIt or Zip file,
        >using your last name as the filename.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Michael
        >
        >--
        >BLUE DANUBE international communication services
        >The Central and East European Language Source!
        >8325 Emerald Hills Way #518
        >North Richland Hills, TX 76180, USA
        >Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239
        >Fax/Modem (+1-817) 514-6413
        >mailto:bdanube@...
        >http://www.bdanube.com

        >Love. Relationships? E - Commerce!

        >Czech<>English translation resources page:
        >
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist
        >
        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com

        Radovan Pletka
        Czech and Slovak Services
        P.O.Box 11202
        Burke, VA 22015, USA
        703 323 6659 phone
        E-fax 561 423 8233
        Mobile phone 703 980 8554
        pletka@...
        RPletka@...
        ICQ: 286 386 96
        www.czechtranslation.com
        Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters
        For more info see www.jobsfortranslators.com
        Feel free to request a sample (-:
        Subscription $30 per calendar year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing
        later in the year)
        (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
          >The only native English speaker which can handle this will need to have
          >home native Czech/Slovak wife, otherwise I bet there will be some serious
          >mistakes due to lack of understanding. How good is a well written
          >translation with sometimes dangerous errors (-:

          Had it done in Slovakia--not, as it turned out, by a native English
          speaker, but it ended up OK after a little polishing of the English.
          I'm sure I would have gotten bogged down if I had tried to do it
          myself--the letter was full not only of colloquialisms but of local
          Spis dialect.

          Michael
        • Radovan Pletka
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
            Good solution and I hope also a trend, as I see that the days of lone
            translators working into their native language are nearly gone. For today
            highly demanding jobs (even handwritten letter can be in this category) you
            need at least 2 native speakers on both ends and often 1-2 native subject
            experts as well.
            I do often difficult legal and medical translations, but always with a
            group of people, who are experts in the fields. It is very expensive, but
            there is number of customers, who are willing to pay to be sure their manul
            will not kill anybody or their contract will not get them sued for millions
            of dollars.
            Free evaluation of "less expensive translation" provided by other sources,
            with pointed out dangerous legal or medical mistakes justifies my rates
            very quickly (-:

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
              >Good solution and I hope also a trend, as I see that the days of lone
              >translators working into their native language are nearly gone. For today
              >highly demanding jobs (even handwritten letter can be in this category) you
              >need at least 2 native speakers on both ends and often 1-2 native subject
              >experts as well.

              In translations where style matters, there's still no substitute for
              a target-language native speaker (in consultation with a "wife" or
              other source-language native if need be). Even the best non-native
              translations always have an unmistakable "foreign" flavor to them,
              and post-editing to get rid of it takes at least as much effort as
              translating from scratch.

              Michael
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
                > From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>

                > Even the best non-native
                > translations always have an unmistakable "foreign" flavor to them,
                > and post-editing to get rid of it takes at least as much effort as
                > translating from scratch.

                Sounds like a suggestion that proofreading should be charged at about the
                same rate as translating. How much do you charge compared with your
                translation rates? It's 25% with me.

                I'd also like to hear whether you folks require the original text (before
                translation) when you, if you ever do, proofread a translation.

                Jirka Bolech
                Liberec, CR
              • Otto Pacholik
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
                  > I'd also like to hear whether you folks require the original text (before
                  > translation) when you, if you ever do, proofread a translation.

                  I won't accept any proofreading job without the original text.

                  BR

                  Otto
                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
                    >Sounds like a suggestion that proofreading should be charged at about the
                    >same rate as translating. How much do you charge compared with your
                    >translation rates? It's 25% with me.
                    >
                    >I'd also like to hear whether you folks require the original text (before
                    >translation) when you, if you ever do, proofread a translation.

                    You're talking about editing/revision/post-editing. Proofreading is
                    just checking spelling, punctuation, omissions, things like that, but
                    excludes actual editing of the text. Either way, I'd charge an hourly
                    rate (a fairly high one because I'd rather avoid this kind of work
                    anyway).
                    Of course I'd prefer to have the original available, but I wouldn't
                    necessarily refuse a job just because it's not available.

                    Michael
                  • Radovan Pletka
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
                      At 09:21 PM 02/25/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                      >From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
                      >
                      >>Good solution and I hope also a trend, as I see that the days of lone
                      >>translators working into their native language are nearly gone. For today
                      >>highly demanding jobs (even handwritten letter can be in this category) you
                      >>need at least 2 native speakers on both ends and often 1-2 native subject
                      >>experts as well.
                      >
                      >In translations where style matters, there's still no substitute for
                      >a target-language native speaker (in consultation with a "wife" or
                      >other source-language native if need be). Even the best non-native
                      >translations always have an unmistakable "foreign" flavor to them,
                      >and post-editing to get rid of it takes at least as much effort as
                      >translating from scratch.
                      >
                      >Michael

                      I absolutly agree with you that a native speaker on the output side
                      guarrantees native "flavor".
                      But if this is a nuclear fuel manual or a steel hip implant, you want to
                      have a bit more than a native flavor assurance. My point was that for
                      majority of today's high demanding jobs the work of one person, however
                      good he/she is, is usually not enough to assure the 100% fulfilment of all
                      different requirements.

                      >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
                      >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
                      >
                      >Czech<>English translation resources page:
                      >
                      > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist
                      >
                      >Community email addresses:
                      > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
                      > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com

                      Radovan Pletka
                      Czech and Slovak Services
                      P.O.Box 11202
                      Burke, VA 22015, USA
                      703 323 6659 phone
                      E-fax 561 423 8233
                      Mobile phone 703 980 8554
                      pletka@...
                      RPletka@...
                      ICQ: 286 386 96
                      www.czechtranslation.com
                      Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters
                      For more info see www.jobsfortranslators.com
                      Feel free to request a sample (-:
                      Subscription $30 per calendar year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing
                      later in the year)
                      (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
                    • Barendregt
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
                        [This message is not in displayable format]
                      • Michael Grant
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 27, 2000
                          >But if this is a nuclear fuel manual or a steel hip implant, you want to
                          >have a bit more than a native flavor assurance. My point was that for
                          >majority of today's high demanding jobs the work of one person, however
                          >good he/she is, is usually not enough to assure the 100% fulfilment of all
                          >different requirements.

                          No argument there.
                          Michael