Re: Translation?: Tisíckrát pozdravujeme Tebe

  • Liz Spacilova
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi,

      Thanks, Melvyn. I could only find it attributed to "anonymous". If it's Czech, I will leave the name in Czech and place "A thousand times we greet thee" in parentheses (I was also thinking hail - as in the Hail Mary - but I found this in part of some Marian prayer).

      Stay warm and dry

      Liz

      > Here I found it tentatively associated with an A. Blahoslav:
      >
      > http://varhanici.euweb.cz/z_koncert_kl06-1.html
      >
      > Never heard it anywhere else. Sorry, can't be more help.
      >
      > > what about "We Greet You a Thousand Times"?
      >
      > Or "A Thousand Times We Hail Thee"?
      >
      > I am not going to crack silly jokes about taxi drivers.
      >
      > BR
      >
      > M.

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
        Neco bych potreboval prohovorit
        Diky
        jirka

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
          I had a rummage around the net but didn't come up with anything. You could try whistling it into your microphone or playing it on a flash keyboard at wwww.musipedia.org but I didn't get any closer than "I wish I was in Dixie". :-O You may have better luck.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Spacilova" <spacils@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Thanks, Melvyn. I could only find it attributed to "anonymous". If it's Czech, I will leave the name in Czech and place "A thousand times we greet thee" in parentheses (I was also thinking hail - as in the Hail Mary - but I found this in part of some Marian prayer).
          >
          > Stay warm and dry
          >
          > Liz
          >

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Here I found it tentatively associated with an A. Blahoslav:
          > >
          > > http://varhanici.euweb.cz/z_koncert_kl06-1.html
          > >
          > > Never heard it anywhere else. Sorry, can't be more help.
          > >
          > > > what about "We Greet You a Thousand Times"?
          > >
          > > Or "A Thousand Times We Hail Thee"?
          > >
          > > I am not going to crack silly jokes about taxi drivers.
          > >
          > > BR
          > >
          > > M.

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
            I entered the tune of "Skakal pes pres oves" and it identified it as Ludwig van Beethoven's piano sonata

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
              Who knows what songs Ludwig's mother was singing to him when he was a
              little boy... :-))

              Dne 2.12.2010 13:07, Pilucha, Jiri napsal(a):
              > I entered the tune of "Skakal pes pres oves" and it identified it as Ludwig van Beethoven's piano sonata
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Pavel
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
                Zdravim,
                jsem zpatky z cesty po Australii a od zitrka uz budu zase online, nejlepe skype: pjanousek.

                PJ

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

                > Neco bych potreboval prohovorit
                > Diky
                > jirka

              • Sara
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 13, 2011
                  It is indeed Czech. I used to have to sing it at funerals as a child.

                  Translation: tisic- one thousand ; krat- times
                  pozdravujeme- we greet / we send regards
                  Tebe- (to)you
                  It goes on to talk about Mother Mary. It was always described to me as
                  "A goodbye to the blessed mother".

                  I have the sheet music. It is by FR. J. Sindelar (with haceks on the s and r).

                  Hope that helps!
                  Sara