Re: Translation?: Tisíckrát pozdravujeme Tebe

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
      Here I found it tentatively associated with an A. Blahoslav:

      http://varhanici.euweb.cz/z_koncert_kl06-1.html

      Never heard it anywhere else. Sorry, can't be more help.

      > what about "We Greet You a Thousand Times"?

      Or "A Thousand Times We Hail Thee"?

      I am not going to crack silly jokes about taxi drivers.

    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
        Hi,

        Thanks, Melvyn. I could only find it attributed to "anonymous". If it's Czech, I will leave the name in Czech and place "A thousand times we greet thee" in parentheses (I was also thinking hail - as in the Hail Mary - but I found this in part of some Marian prayer).

        Stay warm and dry

        Liz

        > Here I found it tentatively associated with an A. Blahoslav:
        >
        > http://varhanici.euweb.cz/z_koncert_kl06-1.html
        >
        > Never heard it anywhere else. Sorry, can't be more help.
        >
        > > what about "We Greet You a Thousand Times"?
        >
        > Or "A Thousand Times We Hail Thee"?
        >
        > I am not going to crack silly jokes about taxi drivers.
        >
        > BR
        >
        > M.

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
          Neco bych potreboval prohovorit
          Diky
          jirka

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
            I had a rummage around the net but didn't come up with anything. You could try whistling it into your microphone or playing it on a flash keyboard at wwww.musipedia.org but I didn't get any closer than "I wish I was in Dixie". :-O You may have better luck.

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Spacilova" <spacils@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks, Melvyn. I could only find it attributed to "anonymous". If it's Czech, I will leave the name in Czech and place "A thousand times we greet thee" in parentheses (I was also thinking hail - as in the Hail Mary - but I found this in part of some Marian prayer).
            >
            > Stay warm and dry
            >
            > Liz
            >

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Here I found it tentatively associated with an A. Blahoslav:
            > >
            > > http://varhanici.euweb.cz/z_koncert_kl06-1.html
            > >
            > > Never heard it anywhere else. Sorry, can't be more help.
            > >
            > > > what about "We Greet You a Thousand Times"?
            > >
            > > Or "A Thousand Times We Hail Thee"?
            > >
            > > I am not going to crack silly jokes about taxi drivers.
            > >
            > > BR
            > >
            > > M.

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
              I entered the tune of "Skakal pes pres oves" and it identified it as Ludwig van Beethoven's piano sonata

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
                Who knows what songs Ludwig's mother was singing to him when he was a
                little boy... :-))

                Dne 2.12.2010 13:07, Pilucha, Jiri napsal(a):
                > I entered the tune of "Skakal pes pres oves" and it identified it as Ludwig van Beethoven's piano sonata
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Pavel
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Zdravim,
                  jsem zpatky z cesty po Australii a od zitrka uz budu zase online, nejlepe skype: pjanousek.

                  PJ

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

                  > Neco bych potreboval prohovorit
                  > Diky
                  > jirka

                • Sara
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 13, 2011
                    It is indeed Czech. I used to have to sing it at funerals as a child.

                    Translation: tisic- one thousand ; krat- times
                    pozdravujeme- we greet / we send regards
                    Tebe- (to)you
                    It goes on to talk about Mother Mary. It was always described to me as
                    "A goodbye to the blessed mother".

                    I have the sheet music. It is by FR. J. Sindelar (with haceks on the s and r).

                    Hope that helps!
                    Sara