Strange offer

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
      I have just received an offer from a translation agency that shall remain nameless but is reputed to be the world's largest and is also reputed to be the main culprit in driving rates down. They have just mandated that all their suppliers give them a 5% discount below the rotten rates they are already willing to pay. This demand was justified by two paragraphs of bad news about the general economy that appeared in The Economist.

      They were offering an hourly rate and assumed that it should take me 10 minutes to translate over 1,000 words.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi Jamie,

        Are you going to respond?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
          I did respond that I couldn't do it. I had apparently misunderstood the job, but even after the clarification I turned it down because (a) they wanted me to edit in my non-native language, and (b) part of the job required the TagEditor, which I refuse to use. The TagEditor is an inefficient use of my time. (Sometimes I translate TagEditor files, but I won't do them in TagEditor.)

          Jamie

          On Nov 5, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > Hi Jamie,
          >
          > Are you going to respond?
          >
          > Jirka Bolech

        • Tomas Mosler
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
            I bet that agency's name has something to do with Czech state symbol. I know of one agency with the same methods... Check this link for interesting (non-anonymous :)) ) reading on the topic:

            http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=1969068&type=member&item=33759429&qid=5d4e0ef5-625e-4acf-905f-e7d859142296&goback=.gmp_1969068

            IMHO "evil" has to be named to be more ready...

            Tomas

            > I have just received an offer from a translation agency that shall remain nameless but is reputed to be the world's largest and is also reputed to be the main culprit in driving rates down. They have just mandated that all their suppliers give them a 5% discount below the rotten rates they are already willing to pay. This demand was justified by two paragraphs of bad news about the general economy that appeared in The Economist.
            >
            > They were offering an hourly rate and assumed that it should take me 10 minutes to translate over 1,000 words.
            >
            > Jamie
          • Liz Spacilova
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
              There may be several of them. To me it sounds just like Transperf*ct, but they did that a few years ago at the beginning of the "crisis" (just without the Economist article). Or maybe this is the brainchild of someone who used to work at Transperf*ct?

              But Jamie shouldn't mention the name because then he could face litigation; for the same reason I've censored their name ever so slightly. Whoever it is, though, it sounds like an awful client.

              You could direct them to http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/USD/graph120.html and note that the US dollar has lost nearly 20% of its value against the Euro, so you're willing to compromise and raise your rate by only 10% :)
              It's futile, of course, but it's a nicer way of saying eff off.

              Liz

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Tomas Mosler" <tomas.mosler@...> wrote:

              > I bet that agency's name has something to do with Czech state symbol. I know of one agency with the same methods... Check this link for interesting (non-anonymous :)) ) reading on the topic:
              >
              > http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=1969068&type=member&item=33759429&qid=5d4e0ef5-625e-4acf-905f-e7d859142296&goback=.gmp_1969068
              >
              > IMHO "evil" has to be named to be more ready...
              >
              > Tomas
              >

              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have just received an offer from a translation agency that shall remain nameless but is reputed to be the world's largest and is also reputed to be the main culprit in driving rates down. They have just mandated that all their suppliers give them a 5% discount below the rotten rates they are already willing to pay. This demand was justified by two paragraphs of bad news about the general economy that appeared in The Economist.
              > >
              > > They were offering an hourly rate and assumed that it should take me 10 minutes to translate over 1,000 words.
              > >
              > > Jamie

            • Liz Spacilova
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
                ... lost nearly 20% since the beginning of June, I forgot to add. Must be the positive post-election elan.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
                  I have seen a nearly identical letter copied in one of translator
                  forums. The signature below was Lionbridge. (I refused to sign NDA to
                  them some time ago.) I belive they are slightly better than
                  Transperfect, but only slightly.

                  Martin