Re: cheap-labour for favour

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
      > There does seem to be a vicious cycle of low expectations - low
      > market rates - low income - low performance - low expectations in the
      > CR, unfortunately.

      Right.
      However, I believe that there is bright future for translators with a
      stronger professional background and international experience. For strategic
      reasons, I will stay general: the Internet content becomes richer, there are
      very sophisticated specialized information products being created, and their
      localization will need much more than translation. It will be combination of
      (in the order of importance):
      highly skilled work in the specialized field
      understanding of Internet content
      intercultural experience
      translation

      Also, in relation to this: I believe that there may be a time period in the
      near future, when it will be of a certain strategic advantage to be located
      outside the United States, the blessed ".com" area.

      Kostas