Discussion: EU jobs and language

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2010
      Like others of you, probably, I've recently been approached by agencies in Europe bidding on what must be the same EU translation contracts, or very similar ones.

      Two things strike me about the queries:

      1. They lead me to sample documents of the types that will be translated, and the English translations are so bad as to be incomprehensible in many places.

      2. When it comes to the language of the letters I receive from the agencies, I can only understand 90% to 95% of it, because they're in some kind of French English. Besides the parts I can't understand, the very official e-mails contain common European screw-ups like using "in case" to mean "if", etc.

      This may seem like a stupid question, but do agencies that assign this kind of EU work usually expect you to translate into this type of bad "Euro-English", or are they probably after good English but can't get enough people capable of translating into it?

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2010
        I believe it's *cheap* English what they are after, as price is the most
        important value in these tenders. Or, the cheapest English that still
        allows them to keep the contract in the long term after winning.

        Martin