RE: [Czechlist] endangered vs. threatened species

  • Romana
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
      Dobre ranko,

      "threatened" je prvni krok ohrozeni - rekla bych, druhy s malou a ubyvajici
      populaci

      Viz:

      http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en
      <http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4SKPB_enAU265AU267&q=define%3A%
      22threatened+species%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai>
      &rlz=1T4SKPB_enAU265AU267&q=define%3A%22threatened+species%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=
      &oq=&gs_rfai=

      "endangered" je pristi krok - druhy ohrozene zanikem (vyhynutim, vyhubenim)

      S pozdravem

      Romana

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
        Hi Iveta,
        I do not pretend to know for certain but to my mind endangered species are
        in more danger than threatened species (which are just "in danger of
        becoming endangered"...). The difference is fairly academic I reckon and
        some EU documents in Czech do not seem to make any distinction but I did
        find one which referred to "ohro�en�ch a bezprost�edn� ohro�en�ch druh�" - I
        would say that the endangered was "bezprostredne ohrozene"
        Charlie

        2010/10/4 Prekladatelsky servis <preklady@...>

        > Zdravim,
        > prekladam text dohody tykajici se jakehosi narodniho parku a v jednom miste
        > se mluvi o "endangered or threatened species" bez dalsiho kontextu. Vi
        > nekdo, jestli je v anglictine mezi endangered a threatened species rozdil a
        > pokud ano, co tomu odpovida v cestine?
        >
        > Predem dekuji
        > Iveta

      • Vesely Petr
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
          Ahoj,

          bezprostredne ohrozene zni divne. Ceska vyhlaska175/2006 rozeznava:
          ohrozene, silne ohrozene a kriticky ohrozene druhy.

          Petr

          I do not pretend to know for certain but to my mind endangered species are
          in more danger than threatened species (which are just "in danger of
          becoming endangered"...). The difference is fairly academic I reckon and
          some EU documents in Czech do not seem to make any distinction but I did
          find one which referred to "ohrožených a bezprostředně ohrožených druhů" - I
          would say that the endangered was "bezprostredne ohrozene"
          Charlie

          2010/10/4 Prekladatelsky servis <preklady@...>

          > Zdravim,
          > prekladam text dohody tykajici se jakehosi narodniho parku a v jednom
          > miste
          > se mluvi o "endangered or threatened species" bez dalsiho kontextu. Vi
          > nekdo, jestli je v anglictine mezi endangered a threatened species rozdil
          > pokud ano, co tomu odpovida v cestine?
          >
          > Predem dekuji
          > Iveta

        • Charles Stanford
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
            Sorry about my bezprostredne ohrozene and thank you for putting me right
            Petr (knew I should not have tried Czech!). In light of Martin's answer and
            the Google link it is a bit weird that they would use "endangered and
            threatened" when endangered is a subcategory of threatened so maybe in this
            particular context ohrozene (threatened) and silne ohrozene (endangered) as
            Petr suggests (or just ohrozene - which is what the Czech version of the
            Barcelona Convention uses for "endangered or threatened"). You are right
            that threatened does sound a bit funny (too actively ohrozene perhaps...)
            but I suppose we would understand "under threat".