Re: TERM: fond pracovni doby

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hi Jirka,

      I see this term has been dealt with on Proz:

      http://www.proz.com/kudoz/czech_to_english/human_resources/2928377-fond_pracovn%C3%AD_doby.html

      though I wouldn't necessarily go along with any of the suggested answers as the ideal solution.

      As far as I am aware, this is referred to both officially and informally in Britain as "basic working hours", "basic hours", "basic time" and variations on that theme. Familiarly we just say "basic", e.g.: "at my job you get 38 hours a week basic, and any overtime on top of that is paid time and a half" (i.e. 1,5 x basic).

      This seems to be common enough usage on government sites:

      Overtime generally means any work over the basic working hours included in your contract.

      http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10028439

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Is there an expression in English to correspond with "fond" in Czech to
      > refer to a volume of working hours that is prescribed or expected for
      > most workers in accordance with regulations? It typically reflects the
      > legal volume of working hours minus national holidays and is often
      > specified on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis. If this concept
      > doesn't really work in English speaking countries, what descriptive
      > translation could be easy to comprehend?
      >

      > Jirka Bolech

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
        Yes - I'd also go with "basic working hours".

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
          Great thanks, Melvyn and Valerie,

          "Basic working hours" sound very good to me. I think this expression is
          as close as it possibly could. You probably don't have the kind of thing
          as this: http://calendar.zoznam.sk/worktime-czcz.php. It's obviously a
          heritage of the 40 years of centrally controlled economy. When I was a
          lad, such calendars (dead tree copies thereof, of course) were quite
          popular as you could always check if you've worked enough hours in a
          particular month or which holidays fell on a weekend in a particular year.

          Have a nice Sunday evening...