Re: [Czechlist] Re: HELP - TERM: public goods considerations

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2010
      Hi, Simon!
      Thank you once more for confirmation.
      Best regards,
      Jarda

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Simon
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:37 AM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: HELP - TERM: public goods considerations

      Hi Jarda,

      Yes, it would have to be in the singular and the whole thing would have to be phrased differently. In fact, I'd say that particular meaning of "consideration" (protiplneni) is very rare in English outside legal texts. It's not a word an economist would normally use in that sense.

      Simon

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:

      > Thanks a lot, Simon!
      > I was not sure whether the whole term is meant as "uvahy o poskytovani verejnych statku" or as "protiplneni za poskytovani verejnych statku", but in the latter case the word "consideration" would have to be in singular, wouldn't it?
      > Have a nice day.
      > Jarda

    • michaltrittipo
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2010
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" > I understand the term "public goods" quite well, but the word "considerations" is what makes me confused. How would you translate the whole thing then?

        >> "Governments focus on providing public goods considerations rather than profit maximisation or private interest."?

        Sorry. I was looking just at the term. Unfortunately, the original English is bad -- although without the sentence or two before or after one can't know why. Possibly it should be "Governments [should?] focus on providing public goods rather than . . ." or "Governments [should?] focus on providing value in the form of public goods rather than . . ." (if "considerations" might perhaps have been what some non-native created in English from a non-English original) or "focus on providing public goods rather than . . .." Hope this helps a bit.