Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Czechlist] Forms in PDF are not a problem with free PDF XChange Viewer

Expand Messages
  • Josef Hlavac
    ... I use this utility: http://jsignpdf.sourceforge.net/ It digitally signs the PDF and also can add a stamp (I use a scan of my stamp) that can be clicked
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
      On 4.9.2010 11:51, Jirka Bolech wrote:
      > I find putting a 'stamp' in
      > a document childish but if I wanted to have one there, I'd just use my
      > favorite graphic editor. Electronic signature makes much more sense and
      > might be worth some exchange of experience with.
      >

      I use this utility: http://jsignpdf.sourceforge.net/

      It digitally signs the PDF and also can add a "stamp" (I use a scan of
      my stamp) that can be clicked to display the digital signature properties.

      Josef
    • Radek
      Jirko, I can see you don t get it (smile) 1) Adobe reader SUCKS, it is big, bloated and it reports on you. 2) you can fill with it only the pdf documents,
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
        Jirko, I can see you don't get it (smile)
        1) Adobe reader SUCKS, it is big, bloated and it reports on you.

        2) you can fill with it only the pdf documents, created in Acrobat, and created as forms to be filled.
        This eliminates about 99 % of pdf documents, created other way.

        PDF XChange Viewer can be used to fill info in any pdf document.
        Just try it, when you will have the need to fill a pdf document and don't feel like retyping or ocring and reformating the whole darn thing.

        R. Pletka

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I use this free software to fill out pdf forms
        > >
        > > http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
        > >
        > > Use typewrite function, works like a charm. You can also add notes,
        > underline, highlight and number other functions in fre unlimited version.
        > > You can even make a stamp with our own signature - makes invoicing
        > easy (smile)
        >
        > Sorry, Radek, I don't get it. What's the deal?
        >
        > As far as I know you can complete pdf forms in Acrobat Reader.
        >
        > This PDF-Xchange Viewer in its free version doesn't seem to bring much
        > new, if anything, compared with Foxit Reader, which has been around for
        > quite some time.
        >
        > If you suggest writing invoices completely in the PDF-Xchange Viewer, I
        > suggest using your favorite application(s) with a utility that 'prints'
        > into a pdf.
        >
        > I'm used to using a spreadsheet as a source of data to merge with a
        > template when making out invoices, myself. The spreadsheet does some
        > calculations for me and saves a bit of time. I find putting a 'stamp' in
        > a document childish but if I wanted to have one there, I'd just use my
        > favorite graphic editor. Electronic signature makes much more sense and
        > might be worth some exchange of experience with.
        >
        > Jirka Bolech
        >
      • Jennifer Hejtmankova
        As an aside, if you re on a Mac, I can highly recommend PDFPen (http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/) for form filling. Regards, Jennifer ... [Non-text portions of
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
          As an aside, if you're on a Mac, I can highly recommend PDFPen (http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/) for form filling.

          Regards,
          Jennifer

          On 5.9.2010, at 18:13, Radek wrote:

          > Jirko, I can see you don't get it (smile)
          > 1) Adobe reader SUCKS, it is big, bloated and it reports on you.
          >
          > 2) you can fill with it only the pdf documents, created in Acrobat, and created as forms to be filled.
          > This eliminates about 99 % of pdf documents, created other way.
          >
          > PDF XChange Viewer can be used to fill info in any pdf document.
          > Just try it, when you will have the need to fill a pdf document and don't feel like retyping or ocring and reformating the whole darn thing.
          >
          > R. Pletka
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I use this free software to fill out pdf forms
          > > >
          > > > http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
          > > >
          > > > Use typewrite function, works like a charm. You can also add notes,
          > > underline, highlight and number other functions in fre unlimited version.
          > > > You can even make a stamp with our own signature - makes invoicing
          > > easy (smile)
          > >
          > > Sorry, Radek, I don't get it. What's the deal?
          > >
          > > As far as I know you can complete pdf forms in Acrobat Reader.
          > >
          > > This PDF-Xchange Viewer in its free version doesn't seem to bring much
          > > new, if anything, compared with Foxit Reader, which has been around for
          > > quite some time.
          > >
          > > If you suggest writing invoices completely in the PDF-Xchange Viewer, I
          > > suggest using your favorite application(s) with a utility that 'prints'
          > > into a pdf.
          > >
          > > I'm used to using a spreadsheet as a source of data to merge with a
          > > template when making out invoices, myself. The spreadsheet does some
          > > calculations for me and saves a bit of time. I find putting a 'stamp' in
          > > a document childish but if I wanted to have one there, I'd just use my
          > > favorite graphic editor. Electronic signature makes much more sense and
          > > might be worth some exchange of experience with.
          > >
          > > Jirka Bolech
          > >
          >
          >



          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Jirka Bolech
          Radek, bear with me and explain. I m even more confused than the first time. 1) I don t want to rate Acrobat Reader but I ve never had any major problems with
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
            Radek, bear with me and explain. I'm even more confused than the first
            time.

            1) I don't want to rate Acrobat Reader but I've never had any major
            problems with it. Do you use Microsoft Office? Is it too big?

            True that Acrobat Reader installation file is over 40 MB whereas PDF
            XChange Viewer's mere 12 MB and Free Foxit Reader's 7 MB.

            An application reporting on me sounds like an urban legend though. How
            do you know? What does it report?

            2) You might be right that the forms to be able to complete with Acrobat
            Reader have to be created in Acrobat but you didn't write about anything
            else than completing forms, 'making' stamps, and some other features
            found also in Foxit Reader in your original post. I do suspect there are
            other packages capabale of creating forms in pdf's since pdf has become
            an open standard format.

            I see that PDF Xchange Viewer allows using the Typewriter feature
            without restrictions, which is better than Free Foxit Reader at the
            moment. However, I don't see any practical usefulness of this feature
            for myself. It seems that unless you have created the original document
            using this very program, you can't edit it using the feature anyway. You
            can type in what you want but how do you remove the original text?
            That's what I'd call cool, as a translator.

            By the way, I'd installed PDF Xchange Viewer when I wrote my response to
            your post. I tried both Czech and English versions, in this order, as I
            was surprised the program asked me in Czech if I wanted the apllication
            to be my "standardni" PDF viewer. It asked me so although I'd unselected
            this option on installation. In the English installation it turned out,
            as I'd suspected, that "standardni" is a translation of "default there;
            I simply don't like this translation and find it confusing. On the other
            hand, I admit that language localization is a good selling point.

            I do have overall positive initial impressions from the program but I'm
            still missing the point of getting any important benefits from using it...

            Jirka Bolech


            _______________________________________________
            Czechlist mailing list
            Czechlist@...
            http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
          • Jirka Bolech
            Hey Joe (Hope you didn t shoot your woman down...), ... I m interested in this kind of program. What sort of certificate(s) are you using? Sorry if my question
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
              Hey Joe (Hope you didn't shoot your woman down...),

              > I use this utility: http://jsignpdf.sourceforge.net/

              I'm interested in this kind of program. What sort of certificate(s) are
              you using? Sorry if my question is stupid; I haven't yet read the Guide.

              I've been using PGP to sign my invoices but basically nobody uses any
              software to make use of such signatures at the other end(s).

              I don't know about the others on the list but I'd like to learn more
              while signing invoices is my primary application (= use)...

              Jirka Bolech


              _______________________________________________
              Czechlist mailing list
              Czechlist@...
              http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
            • Josef Hlavac
              Hi Jirka, I m using the only legally meaningful option - kvalifikovany certifikat . I got mine from Ceska posta. Hence, in the eyes of Czech authorities, my
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
                Hi Jirka,

                I'm using the only legally meaningful option - "kvalifikovany
                certifikat". I got mine from Ceska posta. Hence, in the eyes of Czech
                authorities, my digital signature should be equal to my handwritten
                signature certified by a notary public.

                The nice thing about jsignpdf is that whoever receives the signed PDF
                can quickly and easily verify the signature directly in (sufficiently
                recent) Acrobat Reader.

                Josef

                On 5.9.2010 21:09, Jirka Bolech wrote:
                > Hey Joe (Hope you didn't shoot your woman down...),
                >
                > > I use this utility: http://jsignpdf.sourceforge.net/
                >
                > I'm interested in this kind of program. What sort of certificate(s) are
                > you using? Sorry if my question is stupid; I haven't yet read the Guide.
                >
                > I've been using PGP to sign my invoices but basically nobody uses any
                > software to make use of such signatures at the other end(s).
                >
                > I don't know about the others on the list but I'd like to learn more
                > while signing invoices is my primary application (= use)...
                >
                > Jirka Bolech
                >
                >
                > _______________________________________________
                > Czechlist mailing list
                > Czechlist@...
                > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
              • Jirka Bolech
                ... certifikat . Thanks, Josef. It seems the certificate costs about 200 Kc per year, right? Do you feel it s worth it? How long have been signing digitally
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
                  > I'm using the only legally meaningful option - "kvalifikovany
                  certifikat".

                  Thanks, Josef. It seems the certificate costs about 200 Kc per year,
                  right? Do you feel it's worth it? How long have been signing digitally
                  and what part of that using JSignPdf?

                  I don't want to make a false impression about signing invoices. They
                  don't really need signing, do they?

                  Jirka Bolech

                  P.S.: I took a belated liberty to open a new thread.


                  _______________________________________________
                  Czechlist mailing list
                  Czechlist@...
                  http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                • Radek
                  In Acrobat reader you can t add notes, comments, signatures, stamps, you can t use red pen, highlight and other commenting tools on pdf documents. You can only
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2010
                    In Acrobat reader you can't add notes, comments, signatures, stamps, you can't use red pen, highlight and other commenting tools on pdf documents. You can only read (smile)
                    I need those functions, as I often proofread PDF documents.
                    I can use full Acrobat for that, but it is too big, espensive and bloated for this purpose.
                    Therefore I use FREE PDF Xchange viewer.
                    It also allows you to type text into any pdf document, and therefore you can fill any pdf forms, not only specially prepared ones.
                    If there is anything confusing on this explanation, I can't help you (smile)

                    Radek

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Radek, bear with me and explain. I'm even more confused than the first
                    > time.
                    >
                    > 1) I don't want to rate Acrobat Reader but I've never had any major
                    > problems with it. Do you use Microsoft Office? Is it too big?
                    >
                    > True that Acrobat Reader installation file is over 40 MB whereas PDF
                    > XChange Viewer's mere 12 MB and Free Foxit Reader's 7 MB.
                    >
                    > An application reporting on me sounds like an urban legend though. How
                    > do you know? What does it report?
                    >
                    > 2) You might be right that the forms to be able to complete with Acrobat
                    > Reader have to be created in Acrobat but you didn't write about anything
                    > else than completing forms, 'making' stamps, and some other features
                    > found also in Foxit Reader in your original post. I do suspect there are
                    > other packages capabale of creating forms in pdf's since pdf has become
                    > an open standard format.
                    >
                    > I see that PDF Xchange Viewer allows using the Typewriter feature
                    > without restrictions, which is better than Free Foxit Reader at the
                    > moment. However, I don't see any practical usefulness of this feature
                    > for myself. It seems that unless you have created the original document
                    > using this very program, you can't edit it using the feature anyway. You
                    > can type in what you want but how do you remove the original text?
                    > That's what I'd call cool, as a translator.
                    >
                    > By the way, I'd installed PDF Xchange Viewer when I wrote my response to
                    > your post. I tried both Czech and English versions, in this order, as I
                    > was surprised the program asked me in Czech if I wanted the apllication
                    > to be my "standardni" PDF viewer. It asked me so although I'd unselected
                    > this option on installation. In the English installation it turned out,
                    > as I'd suspected, that "standardni" is a translation of "default there;
                    > I simply don't like this translation and find it confusing. On the other
                    > hand, I admit that language localization is a good selling point.
                    >
                    > I do have overall positive initial impressions from the program but I'm
                    > still missing the point of getting any important benefits from using it...
                    >
                    > Jirka Bolech
                    >
                    >
                    > _______________________________________________
                    > Czechlist mailing list
                    > Czechlist@...
                    > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                    >
                  • Jirka Bolech
                    Hi Radek, I see we re both about to get running in circles. You keep claiming that you can fill out forms in pdf s using the free PDF Xchange Viewer while I ve
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2010
                      Hi Radek,

                      I see we're both about to get running in circles.

                      You keep claiming that you can fill out forms in pdf's using the free
                      PDF Xchange Viewer while I've needed to do this kind of thing once or
                      twice in my life and I was able to use Acrobar Reader for that.

                      As a new point, you say you can use the free PDF Xchange Viewer in
                      proofreading jobs making use of red pen, highlight, and some other
                      non-specified tools while I say you can use free Foxit Reader, which
                      also has these features and is an even leaner application.

                      The only superior feature mentioned is the unrestricted Typewriter.
                      Although this might be useful, it doesn't allow you to do translations
                      whereas the Text Highlight tool with Popup Notes, which are availabe in
                      Foxit Reader, are usually all you need for proofreading or minor editing.

                      Thanks for sharing your discovery but I will myself stick to Foxit
                      Reader. Also because while giving PDF Xchange Viewer a try, I
                      encountered a compatibility problem. The misbehavior was a bit irregular
                      but it quite clearly correlated with installation and unistallation of
                      this software.

                      By the way, I'd rather if the market became more mature formatwise and
                      clients discontinued asking translators, editors, and proofreaders to
                      work with a format that is supposed to be used for distribution of final
                      output only. I simply can't rejoice at another advance in the wrong
                      direction.

                      Howgh...

                      Jirka Bolech


                      _______________________________________________
                      Czechlist mailing list
                      Czechlist@...
                      http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                    • Radek
                      If you are saying that your application is not broken, please do not fix it (smile). I know fox reader and I use it when I need to have two pdf documents open,
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                        If you are saying that your application is not broken,
                        please do not fix it (smile).
                        I know fox reader and I use it when I need to have
                        two pdf documents open, one I read in fox, and on the second
                        I am working with pdf xchange viewer, and it works fine for me.
                        Good luck

                        R

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Hi Radek,
                        >
                        > I see we're both about to get running in circles.
                        >
                        > You keep claiming that you can fill out forms in pdf's using the free
                        > PDF Xchange Viewer while I've needed to do this kind of thing once or
                        > twice in my life and I was able to use Acrobar Reader for that.
                        >
                        > As a new point, you say you can use the free PDF Xchange Viewer in
                        > proofreading jobs making use of red pen, highlight, and some other
                        > non-specified tools while I say you can use free Foxit Reader, which
                        > also has these features and is an even leaner application.
                        >
                        > The only superior feature mentioned is the unrestricted Typewriter.
                        > Although this might be useful, it doesn't allow you to do translations
                        > whereas the Text Highlight tool with Popup Notes, which are availabe in
                        > Foxit Reader, are usually all you need for proofreading or minor editing.
                        >
                        > Thanks for sharing your discovery but I will myself stick to Foxit
                        > Reader. Also because while giving PDF Xchange Viewer a try, I
                        > encountered a compatibility problem. The misbehavior was a bit irregular
                        > but it quite clearly correlated with installation and unistallation of
                        > this software.
                        >
                        > By the way, I'd rather if the market became more mature formatwise and
                        > clients discontinued asking translators, editors, and proofreaders to
                        > work with a format that is supposed to be used for distribution of final
                        > output only. I simply can't rejoice at another advance in the wrong
                        > direction.
                        >
                        > Howgh...
                        >
                        > Jirka Bolech
                        >
                        >
                        > _______________________________________________
                        > Czechlist mailing list
                        > Czechlist@...
                        > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.