Forms in PDF are not a problem with free PDF XChange Viewer

  • Radek
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2010
      I use this free software to fill out pdf forms

      http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

      Use typewrite function, works like a charm. You can also add notes, underline, highlight and number other functions in fre unlimited version.
      You can even make a stamp with our own signature - makes invoicing easy (smile)

      Radek Pletka
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
        > I use this free software to fill out pdf forms
        >
        > http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
        >
        > Use typewrite function, works like a charm. You can also add notes,
        underline, highlight and number other functions in fre unlimited version.
        > You can even make a stamp with our own signature - makes invoicing
        easy (smile)

        Sorry, Radek, I don't get it. What's the deal?

        As far as I know you can complete pdf forms in Acrobat Reader.

        This PDF-Xchange Viewer in its free version doesn't seem to bring much
        new, if anything, compared with Foxit Reader, which has been around for
        quite some time.

        If you suggest writing invoices completely in the PDF-Xchange Viewer, I
        suggest using your favorite application(s) with a utility that 'prints'
        into a pdf.

        I'm used to using a spreadsheet as a source of data to merge with a
        template when making out invoices, myself. The spreadsheet does some
        calculations for me and saves a bit of time. I find putting a 'stamp' in
        a document childish but if I wanted to have one there, I'd just use my
        favorite graphic editor. Electronic signature makes much more sense and
        might be worth some exchange of experience with.

        Jirka Bolech
      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010
          On 4.9.2010 11:51, Jirka Bolech wrote:
          > I find putting a 'stamp' in
          > a document childish but if I wanted to have one there, I'd just use my
          > favorite graphic editor. Electronic signature makes much more sense and
          > might be worth some exchange of experience with.

          I use this utility: http://jsignpdf.sourceforge.net/

          It digitally signs the PDF and also can add a "stamp" (I use a scan of
          my stamp) that can be clicked to display the digital signature properties.

          Josef
        • Radek
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
            Jirko, I can see you don't get it (smile)
            1) Adobe reader SUCKS, it is big, bloated and it reports on you.

            2) you can fill with it only the pdf documents, created in Acrobat, and created as forms to be filled.
            This eliminates about 99 % of pdf documents, created other way.

            PDF XChange Viewer can be used to fill info in any pdf document.
            Just try it, when you will have the need to fill a pdf document and don't feel like retyping or ocring and reformating the whole darn thing.

            R. Pletka

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:

            > > I use this free software to fill out pdf forms
            > >
            > > http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
            > >
            > > Use typewrite function, works like a charm. You can also add notes,
            > underline, highlight and number other functions in fre unlimited version.
            > > You can even make a stamp with our own signature - makes invoicing
            > easy (smile)
            >
            > Sorry, Radek, I don't get it. What's the deal?
            >
            > As far as I know you can complete pdf forms in Acrobat Reader.
            >
            > This PDF-Xchange Viewer in its free version doesn't seem to bring much
            > new, if anything, compared with Foxit Reader, which has been around for
            > quite some time.
            >
            > If you suggest writing invoices completely in the PDF-Xchange Viewer, I
            > suggest using your favorite application(s) with a utility that 'prints'
            > into a pdf.
            >
            > I'm used to using a spreadsheet as a source of data to merge with a
            > template when making out invoices, myself. The spreadsheet does some
            > calculations for me and saves a bit of time. I find putting a 'stamp' in
            > a document childish but if I wanted to have one there, I'd just use my
            > favorite graphic editor. Electronic signature makes much more sense and
            > might be worth some exchange of experience with.
            >
            > Jirka Bolech

          • Jennifer Hejtmankova
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
              As an aside, if you're on a Mac, I can highly recommend PDFPen (http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/) for form filling.

              Regards,
              Jennifer

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
                Radek, bear with me and explain. I'm even more confused than the first
                time.

                1) I don't want to rate Acrobat Reader but I've never had any major
                problems with it. Do you use Microsoft Office? Is it too big?

                True that Acrobat Reader installation file is over 40 MB whereas PDF
                XChange Viewer's mere 12 MB and Free Foxit Reader's 7 MB.

                An application reporting on me sounds like an urban legend though. How
                do you know? What does it report?

                2) You might be right that the forms to be able to complete with Acrobat
                Reader have to be created in Acrobat but you didn't write about anything
                else than completing forms, 'making' stamps, and some other features
                found also in Foxit Reader in your original post. I do suspect there are
                other packages capabale of creating forms in pdf's since pdf has become
                an open standard format.

                I see that PDF Xchange Viewer allows using the Typewriter feature
                without restrictions, which is better than Free Foxit Reader at the
                moment. However, I don't see any practical usefulness of this feature
                for myself. It seems that unless you have created the original document
                using this very program, you can't edit it using the feature anyway. You
                can type in what you want but how do you remove the original text?
                That's what I'd call cool, as a translator.

                By the way, I'd installed PDF Xchange Viewer when I wrote my response to
                your post. I tried both Czech and English versions, in this order, as I
                was surprised the program asked me in Czech if I wanted the apllication
                to be my "standardni" PDF viewer. It asked me so although I'd unselected
                this option on installation. In the English installation it turned out,
                as I'd suspected, that "standardni" is a translation of "default there;
                I simply don't like this translation and find it confusing. On the other
                hand, I admit that language localization is a good selling point.

                I do have overall positive initial impressions from the program but I'm
                still missing the point of getting any important benefits from using it...

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Hey Joe (Hope you didn't shoot your woman down...),

                  > I use this utility: http://jsignpdf.sourceforge.net/

                  I'm interested in this kind of program. What sort of certificate(s) are
                  you using? Sorry if my question is stupid; I haven't yet read the Guide.

                  I've been using PGP to sign my invoices but basically nobody uses any
                  software to make use of such signatures at the other end(s).

                  I don't know about the others on the list but I'd like to learn more
                  while signing invoices is my primary application (= use)...

                • Josef Hlavac
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
                    Hi Jirka,

                    I'm using the only legally meaningful option - "kvalifikovany
                    certifikat". I got mine from Ceska posta. Hence, in the eyes of Czech
                    authorities, my digital signature should be equal to my handwritten
                    signature certified by a notary public.

                    The nice thing about jsignpdf is that whoever receives the signed PDF
                    can quickly and easily verify the signature directly in (sufficiently
                    recent) Acrobat Reader.

                    Josef

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
                      > I'm using the only legally meaningful option - "kvalifikovany
                      certifikat".

                      Thanks, Josef. It seems the certificate costs about 200 Kc per year,
                      right? Do you feel it's worth it? How long have been signing digitally
                      and what part of that using JSignPdf?

                      I don't want to make a false impression about signing invoices. They
                      don't really need signing, do they?

                      Jirka Bolech

                      P.S.: I took a belated liberty to open a new thread.

                    • Radek
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 7, 2010
                        In Acrobat reader you can't add notes, comments, signatures, stamps, you can't use red pen, highlight and other commenting tools on pdf documents. You can only read (smile)
                        I need those functions, as I often proofread PDF documents.
                        I can use full Acrobat for that, but it is too big, espensive and bloated for this purpose.
                        Therefore I use FREE PDF Xchange viewer.
                        It also allows you to type text into any pdf document, and therefore you can fill any pdf forms, not only specially prepared ones.
                        If there is anything confusing on this explanation, I can't help you (smile)

                        Radek

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 7, 2010
                          Hi Radek,

                          I see we're both about to get running in circles.

                          You keep claiming that you can fill out forms in pdf's using the free
                          PDF Xchange Viewer while I've needed to do this kind of thing once or
                          twice in my life and I was able to use Acrobar Reader for that.

                          As a new point, you say you can use the free PDF Xchange Viewer in
                          proofreading jobs making use of red pen, highlight, and some other
                          non-specified tools while I say you can use free Foxit Reader, which
                          also has these features and is an even leaner application.

                          The only superior feature mentioned is the unrestricted Typewriter.
                          Although this might be useful, it doesn't allow you to do translations
                          whereas the Text Highlight tool with Popup Notes, which are availabe in
                          Foxit Reader, are usually all you need for proofreading or minor editing.

                          Thanks for sharing your discovery but I will myself stick to Foxit
                          Reader. Also because while giving PDF Xchange Viewer a try, I
                          encountered a compatibility problem. The misbehavior was a bit irregular
                          but it quite clearly correlated with installation and unistallation of
                          this software.

                          By the way, I'd rather if the market became more mature formatwise and
                          clients discontinued asking translators, editors, and proofreaders to
                          work with a format that is supposed to be used for distribution of final
                          output only. I simply can't rejoice at another advance in the wrong
                          direction.

                          Howgh...

                        • Radek
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 9, 2010
                            If you are saying that your application is not broken,
                            please do not fix it (smile).
                            I know fox reader and I use it when I need to have
                            two pdf documents open, one I read in fox, and on the second
                            I am working with pdf xchange viewer, and it works fine for me.
                            Good luck