Re: [Czechlist] Re: Online shopping vessel

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1 5:57 AM
      Thanks, Valerie, Simon and Matej. Valerie had the same idea I had in comparing Amazon in the two countries.

      I guess I'll go with basket, because it's intelligible everywhere and doesn't sound too exotic in the US. As I mentioned, "trolley" in the US means an antique tramvaj, so that would be a little too exotic.

      And here's another one:

      US
      Billing address
      Shipping address

      UK
      Billing address? Invoice address?
      Dispatch address?

      For some reason I couldn't find a UK site that had you establishing separate addresses for that.

      Jamie

      On Sep 1, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > Ditto. UK online retailers call it a shopping basket, or just a basket.
      > "View basket" etc.
      >
      > Cart would be fine if you were doing a multi-purpose site, but if they
      > want specifically UK terminology, then basket is better. Especially if
      > it's clothing.
      >
      > I notice amazon.co.uk has basket, amazon.com cart.
      >
      > Valerie
      >
      > On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 10:04 +0000, Simon wrote:
      > >

      > > I'd go for "basket", although I imagine most UK internet shoppers
      > > would understand "cart". "Shopping list" means something different to
      > > me - that's what you're planning to buy before you start shopping, not
      > > what you end up taking to the checkout.
      > >
      > > Simon
      > >
      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe.
      > > They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming
      > > later.
      > > >
      > > > The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the
      > > virtual voz�k that they put their merchandise into.

    • Simon
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 6:24 AM
        > And here's another one:
        >
        > US
        > Billing address
        > Shipping address
        >
        > UK
        > Billing address? Invoice address?
        > Dispatch address?

        I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.

        Simon
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1 6:39 AM
          Thanks, Simon.

          JK

          On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Simon wrote:

          > > And here's another one:
          > >
          > > US
          > > Billing address
          > > Shipping address
          > >
          > > UK
          > > Billing address? Invoice address?
          > > Dispatch address?
          >
          > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
          >
          > Simon

        • Kostas
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1 9:36 AM
            I would like ask something quite important regarding this issue as Jamie has mentioned that the company may launch also the US version of their e-shop. It is pretty much known that Google penalizes duplicate content by removing it from the Google cache, therefore making it not searchable. Can't be US and UK versions of te same website confused by Google as a duplicate content (due to their maximum similarity) and thus get penalized? I am curious whether somoeone of you has this kind of experience.

            K.

            > Thanks, Simon.
            >
            > JK
            >
            > On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Simon wrote:
            >

            > > > And here's another one:
            > > >
            > > > US
            > > > Billing address
            > > > Shipping address
            > > >
            > > > UK
            > > > Billing address? Invoice address?
            > > > Dispatch address?
            > >
            > > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
            > >
            > > Simon

          • Jennifer Hejtmankova
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1 9:43 AM
              I imagine if the sites have different URL's (.com for the US and .co.uk for the UK, for example), then it would be ok. Amazon has different US and UK sites - I'm pretty sure they're not excluded from the Google cache.

              Jennifer

              On 1.9.2010, at 18:36, Kostas wrote:

              > I would like ask something quite important regarding this issue as Jamie has mentioned that the company may launch also the US version of their e-shop. It is pretty much known that Google penalizes duplicate content by removing it from the Google cache, therefore making it not searchable. Can't be US and UK versions of te same website confused by Google as a duplicate content (due to their maximum similarity) and thus get penalized? I am curious whether somoeone of you has this kind of experience.
              >
              > K.
              >
              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks, Simon.
              > >
              > > JK

              > > > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
              > > >
              > > > Simon

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1 10:27 AM
                I think either "invoice address" or "billing address" is OK for the
                former, but definitely "delivery address" for the address the goods are
                going to, i.e. not shipping address.

                Valerie

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1 10:30 AM
                  Thank you.