Re: [Czechlist] Online shopping vessel

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
      I don't shop online in UK-based places very often, but when I have
      done, I think it was always 'basket' ... (shopping) trolley is the real
      thing you push around Sainsbury's ...

      Mind you, this says basket:

      Basketball & netball - Sport & leisure - Sainsbury's - [ Přeložit tuto stránku ]Video recipes; Wine at Calais; Sainsbury's Magazine; Instore counters ...Shop by Price. Less than £5 (1) · £5-£10 (4) · My basket: 0 items; Total: £0.00 ...
      www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/sport.../basketball.../list.html - Archiv - Podobné

      ... and this trolley:

      sburys.mysupermarket.co.uk/.../why-do-online-shopping.aspx - Archiv - Podobné
      Sainsbury's Online Supermarket Shopping | mySupermarket - [ Přeložit tuto stránku ]Once you have finalised your trolley, click the Checkout button to send your trolley to the Sainsbury's online shopping website and have your groceries ...
      sainsburys.mysupermarket.co.uk/ - Archiv - Podobné

      Possibly because the later is for groceries and they want you feel like
      you're pushing one through the place ??

      Anyway, if trolley is unacceptable for Americans in this place, use
      basket and you're fine... I personally think you'd be OK using cart
      too, it's certainly clear enough, but an editor might complain...

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
        I'd go for "basket", although I imagine most UK internet shoppers would understand "cart". "Shopping list" means something different to me - that's what you're planning to buy before you start shopping, not what you end up taking to the checkout.

        Simon

        > I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe. They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming later.
        >
        > The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the virtual vozík that they put their merchandise into.

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
          Ditto. UK online retailers call it a shopping basket, or just a basket.
          "View basket" etc.

          Cart would be fine if you were doing a multi-purpose site, but if they
          want specifically UK terminology, then basket is better. Especially if
          it's clothing.

          I notice amazon.co.uk has basket, amazon.com cart.

          Valerie

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
            Thanks, Valerie, Simon and Matej. Valerie had the same idea I had in comparing Amazon in the two countries.

            I guess I'll go with basket, because it's intelligible everywhere and doesn't sound too exotic in the US. As I mentioned, "trolley" in the US means an antique tramvaj, so that would be a little too exotic.

            And here's another one:

            US
            Billing address
            Shipping address

            UK
            Billing address? Invoice address?
            Dispatch address?

            For some reason I couldn't find a UK site that had you establishing separate addresses for that.

            Jamie

            On Sep 1, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

            > Ditto. UK online retailers call it a shopping basket, or just a basket.
            > "View basket" etc.
            >
            > Cart would be fine if you were doing a multi-purpose site, but if they
            > want specifically UK terminology, then basket is better. Especially if
            > it's clothing.
            >
            > I notice amazon.co.uk has basket, amazon.com cart.
            >
            > Valerie
            >
            > On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 10:04 +0000, Simon wrote:
            > >

            > > I'd go for "basket", although I imagine most UK internet shoppers
            > > would understand "cart". "Shopping list" means something different to
            > > me - that's what you're planning to buy before you start shopping, not
            > > what you end up taking to the checkout.
            > >
            > > Simon
            > >
            > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe.
            > > They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming
            > > later.
            > > >
            > > > The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the
            > > virtual voz�k that they put their merchandise into.

          • Simon
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
              > And here's another one:
              >
              > US
              > Billing address
              > Shipping address
              >
              > UK
              > Billing address? Invoice address?
              > Dispatch address?

              I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.

              Simon
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                Thanks, Simon.

                JK

                On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Simon wrote:

                > > And here's another one:
                > >
                > > US
                > > Billing address
                > > Shipping address
                > >
                > > UK
                > > Billing address? Invoice address?
                > > Dispatch address?
                >
                > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
                >
                > Simon

              • Kostas
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                  I would like ask something quite important regarding this issue as Jamie has mentioned that the company may launch also the US version of their e-shop. It is pretty much known that Google penalizes duplicate content by removing it from the Google cache, therefore making it not searchable. Can't be US and UK versions of te same website confused by Google as a duplicate content (due to their maximum similarity) and thus get penalized? I am curious whether somoeone of you has this kind of experience.

                  K.

                  > Thanks, Simon.
                  >
                  > JK
                  >
                  > On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Simon wrote:
                  >

                  > > > And here's another one:
                  > > >
                  > > > US
                  > > > Billing address
                  > > > Shipping address
                  > > >
                  > > > UK
                  > > > Billing address? Invoice address?
                  > > > Dispatch address?
                  > >
                  > > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
                  > >
                  > > Simon

                • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                    I imagine if the sites have different URL's (.com for the US and .co.uk for the UK, for example), then it would be ok. Amazon has different US and UK sites - I'm pretty sure they're not excluded from the Google cache.

                    Jennifer

                    On 1.9.2010, at 18:36, Kostas wrote:

                    > I would like ask something quite important regarding this issue as Jamie has mentioned that the company may launch also the US version of their e-shop. It is pretty much known that Google penalizes duplicate content by removing it from the Google cache, therefore making it not searchable. Can't be US and UK versions of te same website confused by Google as a duplicate content (due to their maximum similarity) and thus get penalized? I am curious whether somoeone of you has this kind of experience.
                    >
                    > K.
                    >
                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Simon.
                    > >
                    > > JK

                    > > > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
                    > > >
                    > > > Simon

                  • Valerie Talacko
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                      I think either "invoice address" or "billing address" is OK for the
                      former, but definitely "delivery address" for the address the goods are
                      going to, i.e. not shipping address.

                      Valerie

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                        Thank you.