Online shopping vessel

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
      I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe. They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming later.

      The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the virtual vozík that they put their merchandise into.

      In North America, it's almost always a "cart". In fact, "cart" is so universal that on many matchmaking websites men stuff eligible Ukrainian women into their "cart". (Cashier: "You don't have to put it on the conveyor. I'll just scan it from here.")

      After looking at various UK retailing websites, it looks to me like they're all over the place in terms of what they call that thing. I see "trolley", "basket" and "shopping list", and there may be others.

      So my question is: What do the UK members of the list prefer? I hesitate to go with "trolley" in case the company never does create a US website -- or worse -- uses the same English for both countries. (We don't use an antique tramvaj when we shop at the supermarket.) However, "basket" and especially "shopping list" would work for anybody, I imagine.

      Any thoughts?

      BTW, in looking over all these UK sites, I notice that British retailers seem to make all same grammatical and morphological faux pas that the American ones do. For example, they sell clothes for "ladies" and for "mens". However, I don't imagine you have the experience of shopping where they can't get the English right but the Spanish is perfect.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
        I don't shop online in UK-based places very often, but when I have
        done, I think it was always 'basket' ... (shopping) trolley is the real
        thing you push around Sainsbury's ...

        Mind you, this says basket:

        Basketball & netball - Sport & leisure - Sainsbury's - [ Přeložit tuto stránku ]Video recipes; Wine at Calais; Sainsbury's Magazine; Instore counters ...Shop by Price. Less than £5 (1) · £5-£10 (4) · My basket: 0 items; Total: £0.00 ...
        www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/sport.../basketball.../list.html - Archiv - Podobné

        ... and this trolley:

        sburys.mysupermarket.co.uk/.../why-do-online-shopping.aspx - Archiv - Podobné
        Sainsbury's Online Supermarket Shopping | mySupermarket - [ Přeložit tuto stránku ]Once you have finalised your trolley, click the Checkout button to send your trolley to the Sainsbury's online shopping website and have your groceries ...
        sainsburys.mysupermarket.co.uk/ - Archiv - Podobné

        Possibly because the later is for groceries and they want you feel like
        you're pushing one through the place ??

        Anyway, if trolley is unacceptable for Americans in this place, use
        basket and you're fine... I personally think you'd be OK using cart
        too, it's certainly clear enough, but an editor might complain...

        > I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe.
        >They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming
        >later.
        >
        >The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the
        >virtual vozík that they put their merchandise into.
        >
        >In North America, it's almost always a "cart". In fact, "cart" is so
        >universal that on many matchmaking websites men stuff eligible
        >Ukrainian women into their "cart". (Cashier: "You don't have to put it
        >on the conveyor. I'll just scan it from here.")
        >
        >After looking at various UK retailing websites, it looks to me like
        >they're all over the place in terms of what they call that thing. I
        >see "trolley", "basket" and "shopping list", and there may be others.
        >
        >So my question is: What do the UK members of the list prefer? I
        >hesitate to go with "trolley" in case the company never does create a
        >US website -- or worse -- uses the same English for both countries.
        >(We don't use an antique tramvaj when we shop at the supermarket.)
        >However, "basket" and especially "shopping list" would work for
        >anybody, I imagine.
        >
        >Any thoughts?
        >
        >BTW, in looking over all these UK sites, I notice that British
        >retailers seem to make all same grammatical and morphological faux pas
        >that the American ones do. For example, they sell clothes for "ladies"
        >and for "mens". However, I don't imagine you have the experience of
        >shopping where they can't get the English right but the Spanish is
        >perfect.
        >
        >Jamie

      • Simon
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
          I'd go for "basket", although I imagine most UK internet shoppers would understand "cart". "Shopping list" means something different to me - that's what you're planning to buy before you start shopping, not what you end up taking to the checkout.

          Simon

          > I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe. They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming later.
          >
          > The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the virtual vozík that they put their merchandise into.

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
            Ditto. UK online retailers call it a shopping basket, or just a basket.
            "View basket" etc.

            Cart would be fine if you were doing a multi-purpose site, but if they
            want specifically UK terminology, then basket is better. Especially if
            it's clothing.

            I notice amazon.co.uk has basket, amazon.com cart.

            Valerie

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
              Thanks, Valerie, Simon and Matej. Valerie had the same idea I had in comparing Amazon in the two countries.

              I guess I'll go with basket, because it's intelligible everywhere and doesn't sound too exotic in the US. As I mentioned, "trolley" in the US means an antique tramvaj, so that would be a little too exotic.

              And here's another one:

              US
              Billing address
              Shipping address

              UK
              Billing address? Invoice address?
              Dispatch address?

              For some reason I couldn't find a UK site that had you establishing separate addresses for that.

              Jamie

              On Sep 1, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

              > Ditto. UK online retailers call it a shopping basket, or just a basket.
              > "View basket" etc.
              >
              > Cart would be fine if you were doing a multi-purpose site, but if they
              > want specifically UK terminology, then basket is better. Especially if
              > it's clothing.
              >
              > I notice amazon.co.uk has basket, amazon.com cart.
              >
              > Valerie
              >
              > On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 10:04 +0000, Simon wrote:
              > >

              > > I'd go for "basket", although I imagine most UK internet shoppers
              > > would understand "cart". "Shopping list" means something different to
              > > me - that's what you're planning to buy before you start shopping, not
              > > what you end up taking to the checkout.
              > >
              > > Simon
              > >
              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm working on the website of an online clothing retailer in Europe.
              > > They want UK terminology this time, and I guess a US site is coming
              > > later.
              > > >
              > > > The problem I've got today is what the British usually call the
              > > virtual voz�k that they put their merchandise into.

            • Simon
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                > And here's another one:
                >
                > US
                > Billing address
                > Shipping address
                >
                > UK
                > Billing address? Invoice address?
                > Dispatch address?

                I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.

                Simon
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                  Thanks, Simon.

                  JK

                  On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Simon wrote:

                  > > And here's another one:
                  > >
                  > > US
                  > > Billing address
                  > > Shipping address
                  > >
                  > > UK
                  > > Billing address? Invoice address?
                  > > Dispatch address?
                  >
                  > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
                  >
                  > Simon

                • Kostas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                    I would like ask something quite important regarding this issue as Jamie has mentioned that the company may launch also the US version of their e-shop. It is pretty much known that Google penalizes duplicate content by removing it from the Google cache, therefore making it not searchable. Can't be US and UK versions of te same website confused by Google as a duplicate content (due to their maximum similarity) and thus get penalized? I am curious whether somoeone of you has this kind of experience.

                    K.

                    > Thanks, Simon.
                    >
                    > JK
                    >
                    > On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Simon wrote:
                    >

                    > > > And here's another one:
                    > > >
                    > > > US
                    > > > Billing address
                    > > > Shipping address
                    > > >
                    > > > UK
                    > > > Billing address? Invoice address?
                    > > > Dispatch address?
                    > >
                    > > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
                    > >
                    > > Simon

                  • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                      I imagine if the sites have different URL's (.com for the US and .co.uk for the UK, for example), then it would be ok. Amazon has different US and UK sites - I'm pretty sure they're not excluded from the Google cache.

                      Jennifer

                      On 1.9.2010, at 18:36, Kostas wrote:

                      > I would like ask something quite important regarding this issue as Jamie has mentioned that the company may launch also the US version of their e-shop. It is pretty much known that Google penalizes duplicate content by removing it from the Google cache, therefore making it not searchable. Can't be US and UK versions of te same website confused by Google as a duplicate content (due to their maximum similarity) and thus get penalized? I am curious whether somoeone of you has this kind of experience.
                      >
                      > K.
                      >
                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks, Simon.
                      > >
                      > > JK

                      > > > I'd say all the above would be OK in BrE. FWIW Amazon.co.uk uses invoice address and delivery address.
                      > > >
                      > > > Simon

                    • Valerie Talacko
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                        I think either "invoice address" or "billing address" is OK for the
                        former, but definitely "delivery address" for the address the goods are
                        going to, i.e. not shipping address.

                        Valerie

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                          Thank you.