Czech saying...?

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2010
      "Trávník, jak známo, nevyroste tím, že za něj budeme tahat", former
      President Václav Havel maintained at the end of last year when
      receiving an honorary doctorate in Paris. Is this a familiar saying to
      Czechs? Or does it (hopefully) derive from English?

      TIA

      Gerry

      --
      7 Old Shoreham Road
      Brighton

      Tel/fax: ++ 44 01273208484

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2010
        Don't think old 'Vaklav' would go as far as to use 'familiar sayings'
        (or ones derived from English for that matter) - judging from the few
        speeches/articles of his I had the pleasure/misfortune to translate
        (with the help of several people from this forum, thanks..)..

        Doesn't sound like a standard/familiar saying by any count to me, I
        guess the meaning is clear (one can't make grass/lawn grow just by
        pulling??), [Brit] ENG should have plenty of sayings involving lawns
        (for some reason the only one I can think of is 'step off my lawn')..
        I'll let you figure out the rest, in any case context would be the key,
        IMHO...

        > "Trávník, jak známo, nevyroste tím, že za něj budeme tahat", former
        >President Václav Havel maintained at the end of last year when
        >receiving an honorary doctorate in Paris. Is this a familiar saying to
        >Czechs? Or does it (hopefully) derive from English?
        >
        >TIA
        >
        >Gerry
        >
        >--
        >7 Old Shoreham Road
        >Brighton
        >Sussex
        >BN1 5DQ
        >U.K.
        >
        >Tel/fax: ++ 44 01273208484
        >
        >To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        >And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        >Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        >And Eternity in an hour.

      • Petr
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
          Nikdy jsem to neslysel. Petr A.
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:

          > "Trávník, jak známo, nevyroste tím, že za něj budeme tahat", former
          > President Václav Havel maintained at the end of last year when
          > receiving an honorary doctorate in Paris. Is this a familiar saying to
          > Czechs? Or does it (hopefully) derive from English?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Gerry
          >

          > --
          > 7 Old Shoreham Road
          > Brighton
          > Sussex
          > BN1 5DQ
          > U.K.
          >
          > Tel/fax: ++ 44 01273208484
          >
          > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
          > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
          > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
          > And Eternity in an hour.

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
            [Brit] ENG should have plenty of sayings involving lawns
            > (for some reason the only one I can think of is 'step off my lawn')..

            Can't think of any specifically about lawns, but off the top of my head I can think of:

            "The grass is always greener on the other side"

            "Don't let the grass grow under your feet"

            "A snake in the grass"

            As for "trávník nevyroste tím, že za něj budeme tahat", how about "you won't get the grass to grow by pulling it" or a terse Yorkshireman version: "pulling won't make grass grow"?

          • Gerald Turner
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
              Nice, Melvyn - better than my own draft!

              Thanks to everyone,

              Gerry