Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Re[2]: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...

Expand Messages
  • James Kirchner
    Actually, it s definitely not B.1, but a big fat B.I., but I ll just assume now that the I is a Roman numeral. :-) Comrade Doctor will add some excitement
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Actually, it's definitely not B.1, but a big fat B.I., but I'll just assume now that the I is a Roman numeral. :-)

      "Comrade Doctor" will add some excitement to the documents for whatever amateur genealogist or whoever is getting these translated.

      Thanks very much.

      Jamie

      On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

      > Can't find B.I. anywhere, Jamie,
      >
      > if it's as old as you say it's probably type-written, right, then it's
      > probably just "Section B.1"
      >
      > s. Dr is "soudruh doktor", of course..
      >
      > Kreuzenort is actually in Poland and called Krzyżanowice
      >
      > Krzyżanowice - Wikipedie, otevřená encyklopedie
      > Vesnice leží na zemské silnici 45 poblíž hranic s Českou republikou.
      > ... Krzyżanowice (Kreuzenort); Bieńkowice (Benkowitz); Bolesław
      > (Boleslau; ...
      > cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyżanowice - Archiv
      >
      >
      > Cest praci
      >
      > M
      >
      >
      > ------ Original Message ------
      > From: "James Kirchner" <jpklists@...>
      > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: 8.7.2010 14:58:24
      > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
      > >Thanks to both Hana and Matej for your help.
      > >
      > >Now I've got more fun from that assignment.
      > >
      > >1. Here's an address:
      > >
      > > Statni pamatkova sprava
      > > oddel. B.I. - s.Dr. Siegler
      > >
      > >Can anyone tell me what department "B.I." is and what "s.Dr." is
      > >supposed to mean?
      > >
      > >2. Does anyone know what the town "Kreuzenort bei Ratibor" is called
      > >now? I can't find it on any list of old German town names.
      > >
      > >Thanks.
      > >
      > >Jamie
      > >(DAMN, it's HOT here!)
      > >
      > >On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:03 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
      > >
      > >>Don't think Commies had obchodni soudy :)
      > >>
      > >>My Google thinks it's Krajske Osvetove Stredisko
      > >>
      > >>I guess you'd be familiar with the usage of osveta, it's been
      > >>discussed
      > >>here.. it's a kind of cross between propaganda and cultural centre,
      > >>I'll let you figure out how to render it into ENG...
      > >>
      > >>We have pravni/advokatni poradna (a place where you get legal
      > >>advice),
      > >>and we can get pravni rada/porada (legal advice, porada being a badly
      > >>chosen word here, normally means meeting, but could be advice too)...
      > >>we don't usually get advokatni rada/porada, but if it's a commie-era
      > >>document, anything is possible..
      > >>
      > >>Context would help, but it could be
      > >>- legal advice
      > >>- legal counseling place (porada being a typo for poradna)
      > >>- legal counsellor (again, the word rada should be used, but a Commie
      > >>could have said porada)
      > >>- ...?
      > >>
      > >>M
      > >>
      > >>------ Original Message ------
      > >>From: "James Kirchner" <jpklists@...>
      > >>To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      > >>Sent: 7.7.2010 3:51:27
      > >>Subject: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
      > >>> I've got some commie-era documents here where some people are
      > >>>evidently arguing over the fact that a painting was transferred to
      > >>he
      > >>>care of the Narodni Galerie with out all the right commie organs
      > >>being
      > >>>consulted.
      > >>>
      > >>>One commie organ referred to is "KOS Hradec".
      > >>>
      > >>>I've also got "advokatni porada", which is something I can imagine,
      > >>>but I can't figure out what to call it in English.
      > >>>
      > >>>Can anyone help me with those?
      > >>>
      > >>>Thanks very much.
      > >>>
      > >>>Jamie
      > >>>
      > >>>
      > >>
      > >>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      > >>
      > >>
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >------------------------------------
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
      >



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • James Kirchner
      I m asking around if there s a term for some particular concept, but I fear the term might not exist. Since Czech has wonderful terms that don t exist in
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        I'm asking around if there's a term for some particular concept, but I fear the term might not exist.

        Since Czech has wonderful terms that don't exist in English, like "medvedi sluzba", I thought maybe it would have a term for this thing too.

        Here is the way I'm explaining it to people:

        ---------------------

        You may know the term "horror vacui", which refers to people not wanting to leave empty spaces unfilled. So if there's an empty space, they have to put some kind of decoration there. This results in art and design lacking the beauty of simplicity.

        However, the term I'm looking for would describe this: Someone is attracted to the beauty of something, and therefore the person defaces it with his or her own addition. However, the person doesn't know he's defacing whatever it is, and may think he's enhancing it. At some level he feels like he's co-creator of it because he's left his mark on it. Again, the defacement occurs specifically because the person is attracted to the beauty of whatever it is.

        Examples:

        -- Someone picks the most stunning part of a landscape as the place to erect a stupid bronze sculpture of a little boy in knickers playing golf.

        -- A young woman may have a beautiful, flawless complexion on her neck or bosom, so this is the spot chosen for the bear paw tattoo.

        -- A designer creates a breathtaking illustration for a magazine, and the editor likes it so much that he feels he needs to place his own sappy, pointless caption or title under it.

        Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.

        Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?

        Jamie
      • Melvyn
        ... Gilding the lily is the first thing that comes to mind - pozlacovat zlato according to Hais Hodek. Perhaps you could adapt that for any specific purposes
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

          > Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.
          >
          > Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?

          Gilding the lily is the first thing that comes to mind - pozlacovat zlato according to Hais Hodek. Perhaps you could adapt that for any specific purposes you may have, e.g.

          The man was an inveterate gilder of other people's lilies...

          There was a young career builder, whose name was Lily Gilder etc.

          BR

          M.
        • James Kirchner
          Thanks, Melvyn. Does gilding the lily have the negative connotation of wrecking something that doesn t need improvement by trying to improve it? I ve heard
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks, Melvyn. Does gilding the lily have the negative connotation of wrecking something that doesn't need improvement by trying to improve it? I've heard the term but am not familiar with it.

            Jamie

            On Jul 8, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Melvyn wrote:

            >
            >
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.
            > >
            > > Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?
            >
            > Gilding the lily is the first thing that comes to mind - pozlacovat zlato according to Hais Hodek. Perhaps you could adapt that for any specific purposes you may have, e.g.
            >
            > The man was an inveterate gilder of other people's lilies...
            >
            > There was a young career builder, whose name was Lily Gilder etc.
            >
            > BR
            >
            > M.
            >
            >



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Alena Rysková 2e
            Pribarvovat duhu Strikat fialku vonavkou ... From: James Kirchner To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:47 PM Subject: [Czechlist] Term
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Pribarvovat duhu
              Strikat fialku vonavkou

              ----- Original Message -----
              From: James Kirchner
              To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:47 PM
              Subject: [Czechlist] Term that my not exist



              I'm asking around if there's a term for some particular concept, but I fear the term might not exist.

              Since Czech has wonderful terms that don't exist in English, like "medvedi sluzba", I thought maybe it would have a term for this thing too.

              Here is the way I'm explaining it to people:

              ---------------------

              You may know the term "horror vacui", which refers to people not wanting to leave empty spaces unfilled. So if there's an empty space, they have to put some kind of decoration there. This results in art and design lacking the beauty of simplicity.

              However, the term I'm looking for would describe this: Someone is attracted to the beauty of something, and therefore the person defaces it with his or her own addition. However, the person doesn't know he's defacing whatever it is, and may think he's enhancing it. At some level he feels like he's co-creator of it because he's left his mark on it. Again, the defacement occurs specifically because the person is attracted to the beauty of whatever it is.

              Examples:

              -- Someone picks the most stunning part of a landscape as the place to erect a stupid bronze sculpture of a little boy in knickers playing golf.

              -- A young woman may have a beautiful, flawless complexion on her neck or bosom, so this is the spot chosen for the bear paw tattoo.

              -- A designer creates a breathtaking illustration for a magazine, and the editor likes it so much that he feels he needs to place his own sappy, pointless caption or title under it.

              Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.

              Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?

              Jamie





              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Melvyn
              ... All sounds like Shakespeare: King John, 1595: SALISBURY: Therefore, to be possess d with double pomp, To guard a title that was rich before, To gild
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Rysková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                > Pribarvovat duhu
                > Strikat fialku vonavkou

                All sounds like Shakespeare:

                King John, 1595:

                SALISBURY:
                Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp,
                To guard a title that was rich before,
                To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
                To throw a perfume on the violet,
                To smooth the ice, or add another hue
                Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
                To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
                Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.

                And "pozlacovat zlato" is closer to the original Shakespeare than our modern-day phrase:

                http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gild-the-lily.html
                The use of Shakespeare's text to denote unnecessary ornamentation is fairly straightforward. After all, 'to gild' is to cover with a thin layer of gold, so 'gilding refined gold' is obviously unnecessary. Unfortunately, remembering text from Shakespeare isn't everyone's forte and the quotation has become rather garbled. As the quotation above shows, 'gild the lily' doesn't appear in the original.

                --
                Jamie wrote:
                >Does gilding the lily have the negative connotation of wrecking
                something that doesn't need improvement by trying to improve it?

                Don't know if the complete destruction of the lily is always the primary idea, but the mental image alone suggests to me that that aspect can easily be brought out in some modification of (or indirect allusion to) the phrase, you know the sort of thing...

                Whenever he heard the word lily he reached for his can of gold spray paint.

                Or another thought to play around with: "his every embellishment was a (professional/artistic/aesthetic etc) kiss of death".

                BR

                M.
              • Matej Klimes
                I was trying to point to the fact that the number one often used to get typed as capital I s or lower case l s, etc. in the days of the typewritter... Whatewer
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  I was trying to point to the fact that the number one often used to get
                  typed as capital I's or lower case l's, etc. in the days of the
                  typewritter...
                  Whatewer it was, it was not important

                  M

                  ------ Original Message ------
                  From: "James Kirchner" <jpklists@...>
                  To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                  Sent: 8.7.2010 15:26:32
                  Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
                  > Actually, it's definitely not B.1, but a big fat B.I., but I'll just
                  >assume now that the I is a Roman numeral. :-)
                  >
                  >"Comrade Doctor" will add some excitement to the documents for
                  >whatever amateur genealogist or whoever is getting these translated.
                  >
                  >Thanks very much.
                  >
                  >Jamie
                  >
                  >On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                  >
                  >> Can't find B.I. anywhere, Jamie,
                  >>
                  >> if it's as old as you say it's probably type-written, right, then
                  >it's
                  >> probably just "Section B.1"
                  >>
                  >> s. Dr is "soudruh doktor", of course..
                  >>
                  >> Kreuzenort is actually in Poland and called Krzyżanowice
                  >>
                  >> Krzyżanowice - Wikipedie, otevřená encyklopedie
                  >> Vesnice leží na zemské silnici 45 poblíž hranic s Českou republikou.
                  >> ... Krzyżanowice (Kreuzenort); Bieńkowice (Benkowitz); Bolesław
                  >> (Boleslau; ...
                  >> cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyżanowice - Archiv
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> Cest praci
                  >>
                  >> M
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> ------ Original Message ------
                  >> From: "James Kirchner" <mailto:jpklists%40sbcglobal.net>
                  >> To: mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com
                  >> Sent: 8.7.2010 14:58:24
                  >> Subject: Re: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
                  >> >Thanks to both Hana and Matej for your help.
                  >> >
                  >> >Now I've got more fun from that assignment.
                  >> >
                  >> >1. Here's an address:
                  >> >
                  >> > Statni pamatkova sprava
                  >> > oddel. B.I. - s.Dr. Siegler
                  >> >
                  >> >Can anyone tell me what department "B.I." is and what "s.Dr." is
                  >> >supposed to mean?
                  >> >
                  >> >2. Does anyone know what the town "Kreuzenort bei Ratibor" is
                  >called
                  >> >now? I can't find it on any list of old German town names.
                  >> >
                  >> >Thanks.
                  >> >
                  >> >Jamie
                  >> >(DAMN, it's HOT here!)
                  >> >
                  >> >On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:03 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> >>Don't think Commies had obchodni soudy :)
                  >> >>
                  >> >>My Google thinks it's Krajske Osvetove Stredisko
                  >> >>
                  >> >>I guess you'd be familiar with the usage of osveta, it's been
                  >> >>discussed
                  >> >>here.. it's a kind of cross between propaganda and cultural
                  >centre,
                  >> >>I'll let you figure out how to render it into ENG...
                  >> >>
                  >> >>We have pravni/advokatni poradna (a place where you get legal
                  >> >>advice),
                  >> >>and we can get pravni rada/porada (legal advice, porada being a
                  >badly
                  >> >>chosen word here, normally means meeting, but could be advice
                  >too)...
                  >> >>we don't usually get advokatni rada/porada, but if it's a
                  >commie-era
                  >> >>document, anything is possible..
                  >> >>
                  >> >>Context would help, but it could be
                  >> >>- legal advice
                  >> >>- legal counseling place (porada being a typo for poradna)
                  >> >>- legal counsellor (again, the word rada should be used, but a
                  >Commie
                  >> >>could have said porada)
                  >> >>- ...?
                  >> >>
                  >> >>M
                  >> >>
                  >> >>------ Original Message ------
                  >> >>From: "James Kirchner" <mailto:jpklists%40sbcglobal.net>
                  >> >>To: mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com
                  >> >>Sent: 7.7.2010 3:51:27
                  >> >>Subject: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
                  >> >>> I've got some commie-era documents here where some people are
                  >> >>>evidently arguing over the fact that a painting was transferred
                  >to
                  >> >>he
                  >> >>>care of the Narodni Galerie with out all the right commie organs
                  >> >>being
                  >> >>>consulted.
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>>One commie organ referred to is "KOS Hradec".
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>>I've also got "advokatni porada", which is something I can
                  >imagine,
                  >> >>>but I can't figure out what to call it in English.
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>>Can anyone help me with those?
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>>Thanks very much.
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>>Jamie
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>>
                  >> >>
                  >> >>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >> >>
                  >> >>
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >------------------------------------
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >> >
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  >


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Matej Klimes
                  Kutilstvi (the act of doing DIY) can be used in a somewhat pejorative sense when someone tries to improve something and botches it ... From: James Kirchner
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Kutilstvi (the act of doing DIY) can be used in a somewhat pejorative
                    sense when someone tries to improve something and botches it


                    ------ Original Message ------
                    From: "James Kirchner" <jpklists@...>
                    To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                    Sent: 8.7.2010 15:47:33
                    Subject: [Czechlist] Term that my not exist
                    > I'm asking around if there's a term for some particular concept, but
                    >I fear the term might not exist.
                    >
                    >Since Czech has wonderful terms that don't exist in English, like
                    >"medvedi sluzba", I thought maybe it would have a term for this thing
                    >too.
                    >
                    >Here is the way I'm explaining it to people:
                    >
                    >---------------------
                    >
                    >You may know the term "horror vacui", which refers to people not
                    >wanting to leave empty spaces unfilled. So if there's an empty space,
                    >they have to put some kind of decoration there. This results in art
                    >and design lacking the beauty of simplicity.
                    >
                    >However, the term I'm looking for would describe this: Someone is
                    >attracted to the beauty of something, and therefore the person defaces
                    >it with his or her own addition. However, the person doesn't know he's
                    >defacing whatever it is, and may think he's enhancing it. At some
                    >level he feels like he's co-creator of it because he's left his mark
                    >on it. Again, the defacement occurs specifically because the person is
                    >attracted to the beauty of whatever it is.
                    >
                    >Examples:
                    >
                    >-- Someone picks the most stunning part of a landscape as the place to
                    >erect a stupid bronze sculpture of a little boy in knickers playing
                    >golf.
                    >
                    >-- A young woman may have a beautiful, flawless complexion on her neck
                    >or bosom, so this is the spot chosen for the bear paw tattoo.
                    >
                    >-- A designer creates a breathtaking illustration for a magazine, and
                    >the editor likes it so much that he feels he needs to place his own
                    >sappy, pointless caption or title under it.
                    >
                    >Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale
                    >he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's
                    >the attraction that leads him to deface it.
                    >
                    >Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?
                    >
                    >Jamie
                    >
                    >


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • James Kirchner
                    Thanks. I didn t know that, because as a child I was taught to type 1 on a manual typewriter as a capital L . Jamie ... [Non-text portions of this message
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Thanks. I didn't know that, because as a child I was taught to type 1 on a manual typewriter as a capital "L".

                      Jamie

                      On Jul 8, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                      > I was trying to point to the fact that the number one often used to get
                      > typed as capital I's or lower case l's, etc. in the days of the
                      > typewritter...
                      > Whatewer it was, it was not important
                      >
                      > M
                      >
                      > ------ Original Message ------
                      > From: "James Kirchner" <jpklists@...>
                      > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                      > Sent: 8.7.2010 15:26:32
                      > Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
                      > > Actually, it's definitely not B.1, but a big fat B.I., but I'll just
                      > >assume now that the I is a Roman numeral. :-)
                      > >
                      > >"Comrade Doctor" will add some excitement to the documents for
                      > >whatever amateur genealogist or whoever is getting these translated.
                      > >
                      > >Thanks very much.
                      > >
                      > >Jamie
                      > >
                      > >On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> Can't find B.I. anywhere, Jamie,
                      > >>
                      > >> if it's as old as you say it's probably type-written, right, then
                      > >it's
                      > >> probably just "Section B.1"
                      > >>
                      > >> s. Dr is "soudruh doktor", of course..
                      > >>
                      > >> Kreuzenort is actually in Poland and called Krzyżanowice
                      > >>
                      > >> Krzyżanowice - Wikipedie, otevřená encyklopedie
                      > >> Vesnice leží na zemské silnici 45 poblíž hranic s Českou republikou.
                      > >> ... Krzyżanowice (Kreuzenort); Bieńkowice (Benkowitz); Bolesław
                      > >> (Boleslau; ...
                      > >> cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyżanowice - Archiv
                      > >>
                      > >>
                      > >> Cest praci
                      > >>
                      > >> M
                      > >>
                      > >>
                      > >> ------ Original Message ------
                      > >> From: "James Kirchner" <mailto:jpklists%40sbcglobal.net>
                      > >> To: mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com
                      > >> Sent: 8.7.2010 14:58:24
                      > >> Subject: Re: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
                      > >> >Thanks to both Hana and Matej for your help.
                      > >> >
                      > >> >Now I've got more fun from that assignment.
                      > >> >
                      > >> >1. Here's an address:
                      > >> >
                      > >> > Statni pamatkova sprava
                      > >> > oddel. B.I. - s.Dr. Siegler
                      > >> >
                      > >> >Can anyone tell me what department "B.I." is and what "s.Dr." is
                      > >> >supposed to mean?
                      > >> >
                      > >> >2. Does anyone know what the town "Kreuzenort bei Ratibor" is
                      > >called
                      > >> >now? I can't find it on any list of old German town names.
                      > >> >
                      > >> >Thanks.
                      > >> >
                      > >> >Jamie
                      > >> >(DAMN, it's HOT here!)
                      > >> >
                      > >> >On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:03 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:
                      > >> >
                      > >> >>Don't think Commies had obchodni soudy :)
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>My Google thinks it's Krajske Osvetove Stredisko
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>I guess you'd be familiar with the usage of osveta, it's been
                      > >> >>discussed
                      > >> >>here.. it's a kind of cross between propaganda and cultural
                      > >centre,
                      > >> >>I'll let you figure out how to render it into ENG...
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>We have pravni/advokatni poradna (a place where you get legal
                      > >> >>advice),
                      > >> >>and we can get pravni rada/porada (legal advice, porada being a
                      > >badly
                      > >> >>chosen word here, normally means meeting, but could be advice
                      > >too)...
                      > >> >>we don't usually get advokatni rada/porada, but if it's a
                      > >commie-era
                      > >> >>document, anything is possible..
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>Context would help, but it could be
                      > >> >>- legal advice
                      > >> >>- legal counseling place (porada being a typo for poradna)
                      > >> >>- legal counsellor (again, the word rada should be used, but a
                      > >Commie
                      > >> >>could have said porada)
                      > >> >>- ...?
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>M
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>------ Original Message ------
                      > >> >>From: "James Kirchner" <mailto:jpklists%40sbcglobal.net>
                      > >> >>To: mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com
                      > >> >>Sent: 7.7.2010 3:51:27
                      > >> >>Subject: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...
                      > >> >>> I've got some commie-era documents here where some people are
                      > >> >>>evidently arguing over the fact that a painting was transferred
                      > >to
                      > >> >>he
                      > >> >>>care of the Narodni Galerie with out all the right commie organs
                      > >> >>being
                      > >> >>>consulted.
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>>One commie organ referred to is "KOS Hradec".
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>>I've also got "advokatni porada", which is something I can
                      > >imagine,
                      > >> >>>but I can't figure out what to call it in English.
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>>Can anyone help me with those?
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>>Thanks very much.
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>>Jamie
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>>
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >>
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >------------------------------------
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >> >
                      > >>
                      > >>
                      > >
                      > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      > >
                      > >
                      >
                      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      >
                      >



                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • Jan Culka
                      KOS used to be Kontrolni odposlechova sluzba (checking whether radio hams kept to all ham traffic ruls and regulations), but I am afraid this organ had nothing
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 12, 2010
                      • 0 Attachment
                        KOS used to be Kontrolni odposlechova sluzba (checking whether radio hams kept to all ham traffic ruls and regulations), but I am afraid this organ had nothing to do with paintings ...
                        Honza




                        ----- Original Message -----
                        From: James Kirchner
                        To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:51 AM
                        Subject: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...



                        I've got some commie-era documents here where some people are evidently arguing over the fact that a painting was transferred to he care of the Narodni Galerie with out all the right commie organs being consulted.

                        One commie organ referred to is "KOS Hradec".

                        I've also got "advokatni porada", which is something I can imagine, but I can't figure out what to call it in English.

                        Can anyone help me with those?

                        Thanks very much.

                        Jamie





                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.