Re: [Czechlist] KOS Hradec and...

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
      It's Krzyzanowice, in Poland.

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
        Can't find B.I. anywhere, Jamie,

        if it's as old as you say it's probably type-written, right, then it's
        probably just "Section B.1"

        s. Dr is "soudruh doktor", of course..

        Kreuzenort is actually in Poland and called Krzyżanowice

        Krzyżanowice - Wikipedie, otevřená encyklopedie
        Vesnice leží na zemské silnici 45 poblíž hranic s Českou republikou.
        ... Krzyżanowice (Kreuzenort); Bieńkowice (Benkowitz); Bolesław
        (Boleslau; ...
        cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyżanowice - Archiv

        Cest praci

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
          Thanks, Valerie!

          JK

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
            Actually, it's definitely not B.1, but a big fat B.I., but I'll just assume now that the I is a Roman numeral. :-)

            "Comrade Doctor" will add some excitement to the documents for whatever amateur genealogist or whoever is getting these translated.

            Thanks very much.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
              I'm asking around if there's a term for some particular concept, but I fear the term might not exist.

              Since Czech has wonderful terms that don't exist in English, like "medvedi sluzba", I thought maybe it would have a term for this thing too.

              Here is the way I'm explaining it to people:

              ---------------------

              You may know the term "horror vacui", which refers to people not wanting to leave empty spaces unfilled. So if there's an empty space, they have to put some kind of decoration there. This results in art and design lacking the beauty of simplicity.

              However, the term I'm looking for would describe this: Someone is attracted to the beauty of something, and therefore the person defaces it with his or her own addition. However, the person doesn't know he's defacing whatever it is, and may think he's enhancing it. At some level he feels like he's co-creator of it because he's left his mark on it. Again, the defacement occurs specifically because the person is attracted to the beauty of whatever it is.

              Examples:

              -- Someone picks the most stunning part of a landscape as the place to erect a stupid bronze sculpture of a little boy in knickers playing golf.

              -- A young woman may have a beautiful, flawless complexion on her neck or bosom, so this is the spot chosen for the bear paw tattoo.

              -- A designer creates a breathtaking illustration for a magazine, and the editor likes it so much that he feels he needs to place his own sappy, pointless caption or title under it.

              Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.

              Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?

              Jamie
            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010

                > Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.
                >
                > Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?

                Gilding the lily is the first thing that comes to mind - pozlacovat zlato according to Hais Hodek. Perhaps you could adapt that for any specific purposes you may have, e.g.

                The man was an inveterate gilder of other people's lilies...

                There was a young career builder, whose name was Lily Gilder etc.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Thanks, Melvyn. Does gilding the lily have the negative connotation of wrecking something that doesn't need improvement by trying to improve it? I've heard the term but am not familiar with it.

                  Jamie

                  On Jul 8, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Again, the person does not know he's defacing the object or locale he's attracted to and may actually think he's enhancing it. But it's the attraction that leads him to deface it.
                  > >
                  > > Any term for that, that anyone knows of? In any language?
                  >
                  > Gilding the lily is the first thing that comes to mind - pozlacovat zlato according to Hais Hodek. Perhaps you could adapt that for any specific purposes you may have, e.g.
                  >
                  > The man was an inveterate gilder of other people's lilies...
                  >
                  > There was a young career builder, whose name was Lily Gilder etc.
                  >
                  > BR
                  >
                  > M.

                • Alena Rysková 2e
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                    Pribarvovat duhu
                    Strikat fialku vonavkou

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Rysková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

                      > Pribarvovat duhu
                      > Strikat fialku vonavkou

                      All sounds like Shakespeare:

                      King John, 1595:

                      SALISBURY:
                      Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp,
                      To guard a title that was rich before,
                      To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
                      To throw a perfume on the violet,
                      To smooth the ice, or add another hue
                      Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
                      To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
                      Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.

                      And "pozlacovat zlato" is closer to the original Shakespeare than our modern-day phrase:

                      http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gild-the-lily.html
                      The use of Shakespeare's text to denote unnecessary ornamentation is fairly straightforward. After all, 'to gild' is to cover with a thin layer of gold, so 'gilding refined gold' is obviously unnecessary. Unfortunately, remembering text from Shakespeare isn't everyone's forte and the quotation has become rather garbled. As the quotation above shows, 'gild the lily' doesn't appear in the original.

                      --
                      Jamie wrote:
                      >Does gilding the lily have the negative connotation of wrecking
                      something that doesn't need improvement by trying to improve it?

                      Don't know if the complete destruction of the lily is always the primary idea, but the mental image alone suggests to me that that aspect can easily be brought out in some modification of (or indirect allusion to) the phrase, you know the sort of thing...

                      Whenever he heard the word lily he reached for his can of gold spray paint.

                      Or another thought to play around with: "his every embellishment was a (professional/artistic/aesthetic etc) kiss of death".

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                        I was trying to point to the fact that the number one often used to get
                        typed as capital I's or lower case l's, etc. in the days of the
                        typewritter...
                        Whatewer it was, it was not important

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                          Kutilstvi (the act of doing DIY) can be used in a somewhat pejorative
                          sense when someone tries to improve something and botches it

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 8, 2010
                            Thanks. I didn't know that, because as a child I was taught to type 1 on a manual typewriter as a capital "L".

                            Jamie

                          • Jan Culka
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 12, 2010
                              KOS used to be Kontrolni odposlechova sluzba (checking whether radio hams kept to all ham traffic ruls and regulations), but I am afraid this organ had nothing to do with paintings ...
                              Honza