Re: Late delivery

  • Kostas
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 7 1:23 PM
      Romana, I am entirely on your side in this situation. if the deadline is so extremely important as it was in this case - they should communicate it with you in the appropriate way. It seems that the deadline played a specially important role at this assignment so they should pass it on appropriately. If I were charged with taking care for such assignment, I would never write "by 5:00" without any other commentary, but I would take the responsibility to make sure this is clear to you. I would actually think on my side like: "I need to explain her what I mean by 5:00 or she might confuse it with 17:00". Why not?

      I think the best lesson one can make out of it is that marketing activities and looking for new clients should be of higher priority than working for Czech agencies:-)

      K.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Romana" <czechlist@...> wrote:

      > Dear colleagues,
      >
      > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?
      >
      > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German: 5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been 17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am - which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
      > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their client, as he was very annoyed.
      >
      > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.
      >
      > What do you suggest I should do?
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Romana

    • Romana
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 7 4:51 PM
        Thanks, K.!

        You are certainly right with "I think the best lesson one can make out of it
        is that marketing activities and looking for new clients should be of higher
        priority than working for Czech agencies:-)" J

        To sum it all up, I was surprised that none of the respondents to my post
        actually recommended taking legal steps against the agency if they should
        not pay me at all, or getting the support of my insurance company to help me
        enforcing the payment. Of course, I am trying to resolve the issue amicably
        first - I have offered them 25% discount on my invoice. Haven't heard back
        from them since. But in case they should not pay at all - wouldn't it
        encourage them to do the same thing to other translators, too, over and over
        again, whenever the translator makes any mistake, and enrich themselves this
        way by charging the client but not paying the translator, if they don't feel
        any pain the very first time, and don't have to go through the trouble of
        having to defend themselves? Perhaps they are already doing such things on
        purpose, because they believe that no translator would step up against them.

        I believe translators, in general, should step up more confidently in their
        dealings with agencies. We are the professionals producing the value, they
        are just marketers whose services we use. If they want to trade our product
        they have to buy it in first place.

        Romana

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "Romana" <czechlist@...> wrote:

        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech
        agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?

        > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a
        first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which
        specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German:
        5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been
        17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to
        be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the
        translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but
        that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then
        they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am -
        which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me
        to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
        > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me
        for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their
        client, as he was very annoyed.

        > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all
        and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation
        was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar
        business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should
        be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a
        matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I
        don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.

        > What do you suggest I should do?
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Romana

      • Kostas
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 7 5:52 PM
          You might find a way of taking some action against them, like reporting them to some credit bureau or a collection agency here in the CR. This should scare them, since these things start to be taken pretty seriously here. Or you might find a way how to put some dirt on them through internet. like reporting them to BB on Proz.com, Ted Wozniak, etc.

          K.