Notarisation

  • Charlie Stanford
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
      I have been asked by an agency in Britain to get a translation "notarised"... Seems a bit weird because the translation is some sort of pharmaceutical inspection report (7000 words) and not a certificate or whatever. Has anyone ever come across anything like this? I asked a notary and they did not have a clue what would be required. Apparently they can either issue an apostille or an officially certified copy but not "notarisation". The translation is actually from Dutch which I have been translating from for years as a sideline and am not officially qualified to translate from so perhaps I should be steering clear anyway but it would just be nice to know what on earth they are talking about. Notarisation? Of a 7000 word translation?
      Charlie

      --
      Jsem chr�n�n bezplatn�m SPAMfighter pro soukrom� u�ivatele.
      A� doposud m� u�et�il p��jmu 8283 spam-email�.

    • Jennifer Hejtmankova
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
        Is it not like here in the Czech Republic where you can get a translation "certified" with the official stamp?

        Jen

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
          Hmmm.... the only thing that comes to my mind is to get a seal of
          approval from a sworn translator but I would definitely ask the agency,
          to avoid wasting time and money. It's your direct client, isn't it? So
          asking should not be such a problem.

          hth
          Martin

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
            I don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US all the notary does is witness your signature on the document. So what I do is go to the bank, a lawyer's office or whatever, and under the statement, "I, Joe Blow, am proficient in the English and Martian languages, and bla bla bla...," I sign the document as the notary watches. Then the notary puts on her seal and stamp as confirmation that it's really me, and that she has watched me sign the paper.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
              I'm pretty sure they want a "court-sworn" translation (soudni preklad)
              , i.e. a stamp from one of the soudni prekladatele/tlumocnici
              certifying the translation.... people often call that notarized
              translation

              There's a list of sworn translators at Ministry of justice's Website
              justice.cz, look for seznam znalcu a tlumocniku, soudni tlumocnici,
              language, look up English and Dutch, if you find a single person with
              both, you've hit the jackpot... most of these people will agree to
              putting their stamp on someone else's translation (if they can go
              through it and see it is correct) for a reasonable fee (CZK 50-150 a
              page..)

              Trouble is that if the translation is from Dutch to English, you're not
              very likely to find a person with that combination in Czech Rep.. and
              the only solution then is to have a Dutch Czech and Czech English
              translator stamp it (or the other way around...) but that would
              technically mean having an in-between Czech translation stapled to it..

              The agency's probably much better off trying to find a Dutch/Eng sworn
              translator in UK or Holland...

              Matej

              >I have been asked by an agency in Britain to get a translation
              >"notarised"... Seems a bit weird because the translation is some sort
              >of pharmaceutical inspection report (7000 words) and not a certificate
              >or whatever. Has anyone ever come across anything like this? I asked a
              >notary and they did not have a clue what would be required. Apparently
              >they can either issue an apostille or an officially certified copy but
              >not "notarisation". The translation is actually from Dutch which I
              >have been translating from for years as a sideline and am not
              >officially qualified to translate from so perhaps I should be steering
              >clear anyway but it would just be nice to know what on earth they are
              >talking about. Notarisation? Of a 7000 word translation?
              >Charlie
              >
              >--
              >Jsem chránìn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé u¾ivatele.
              >A¾ doposud mì u¹etøil pøíjmu 8283 spam-emailù.
              >Platící u¾ivatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
              >Stáhnìte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

            • Rad
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
                The only problem here is that there is no such thing as a "sworn
                translator" in the UK. Czech/Slovak "sworn translator's" stamp means
                (in most cases) nothing the authorities over here.

                R.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
                  So it sounds like the US, where the notary just witnesses the translator's signature on the statement of authenticity and that's it. Am I right?

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
                    Yes Jamie. Notaries do similar things on both sides of the 'pond'.

                    Rad - I don't think this request has anything to do with authorities.
                    It's just a paranoia some corporate clients, mostly multinational and
                    often US/UK based corporations, suffer from. They demand 'certification'
                    from - mostly medical - translators, whatever that means. They often
                    don't know themselves. They want just whatever kind of tangible
                    'evidence' that would give them a (sometimes wrong) feeling that the
                    translator is a good translator. Most of time they are happy once you
                    assure them you are 'certified' because you have a zivnostensky list.
                    Some require a 'declaration of accuracy' which is a single-page doc/pdf
                    statement you write for them. Yet others send you a long checklist of
                    things they want you to do, including using a spellchecker and having an
                    antivirus software in place, and you need to select all checkboxes on
                    that list to get paid. It's all silly because your translation will not
                    get better regardless of a number of declarations you sign and
                    checkboxes you check, but well - that's how it is these days. Quality
                    assurance and certification - once you offer these two, you win,
                    whatever you in fact offer...

                    Martin

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 25, 2010
                      In my experience lots of clients demand some sort of proof, then they
                      get a word that we have this (Ex-Austro Hungarian/Commie) thing called
                      court-sworn translator/translation... and they jump at it... sometimes
                      it gets silly because they want to certify, notarize and possibly sign
                      with blood a piece of scribble written on a restaurant napkin....

                      Germans can get pretty uptight about things because AFAIK they have a
                      similar system, Czech companies want to put a stamp on everything...
                      but quite often all you have to do is explain what the Czech system is
                      based on (not real proficiency in translation in most cases), that the
                      requirement is different in every country and that having the stamp is
                      not that bulletproof anyway... (plus tell them the price of arranging
                      all this (especially if there's multiple foreign languages concerned))
                      and suddenly they agree that all they need is some sort of blah blah
                      stating that this particular piece of text was translated by so and so,
                      who is an experienced and competent translator.... signed(stamped), you
                      charge a bit more (but considerably less than you would for two or more
                      court-sworn stamps)... and everybody's happy...

                      The authorities to the West of Czecho seem to be pretty reasonable
                      about what an official translation should look like (Germans being the
                      possible exception, but even they will react positively to any odd
                      stamp and a bit of official language..), the ones to the East and
                      South-East just want stamps and words and they don't care where they
                      come from... it all boils down to asking the client what they need the
                      thing for, explaining them that a Czech court-sworn translator's stamp
                      might not really be that bullet-proof (besides being expensive)... and
                      offering a realistic alternative - like Martin mentioned, but less
                      silly stuff like spellcheckers and certified methods... and suddenly
                      everybody's happy

                      >Yes Jamie. Notaries do similar things on both sides of the 'pond'.
                      >
                      >Rad - I don't think this request has anything to do with authorities.
                      >It's just a paranoia some corporate clients, mostly multinational and
                      >often US/UK based corporations, suffer from. They demand
                      >'certification'
                      >from - mostly medical - translators, whatever that means. They often
                      >don't know themselves. They want just whatever kind of tangible
                      >'evidence' that would give them a (sometimes wrong) feeling that the
                      >translator is a good translator. Most of time they are happy once you
                      >assure them you are 'certified' because you have a zivnostensky list.
                      >Some require a 'declaration of accuracy' which is a single-page
                      >doc/pdf
                      >statement you write for them. Yet others send you a long checklist of
                      >things they want you to do, including using a spellchecker and having
                      >an
                      >antivirus software in place, and you need to select all checkboxes on
                      >that list to get paid. It's all silly because your translation will
                      >not
                      >get better regardless of a number of declarations you sign and
                      >checkboxes you check, but well - that's how it is these days. Quality
                      >assurance and certification - once you offer these two, you win,
                      >whatever you in fact offer...
                      >
                      >Martin
                      >

                      >Dne 25.6.2010 21:11, James Kirchner napsal(a):
                      >>So it sounds like the US, where the notary just witnesses the
                      >>translator's signature on the statement of authenticity and that's
                      >>it. Am I right?
                      >>
                      >>Jamie
                      >>
                      >>On Jun 25, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Rad wrote:
                      >>
                      >>>The only problem here is that there is no such thing as a "sworn
                      >>>translator" in the UK. Czech/Slovak "sworn translator's" stamp means
                      >>>(in most cases) nothing the authorities over here.
                      >>>
                      >>>R.

                      >>>not
                      >>>it..

                    • Romana
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 27, 2010
                        Dear colleagues,

                        Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?

                        The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German: 5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been 17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am - which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
                        After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their client, as he was very annoyed.

                        I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.

                        What do you suggest I should do?

                        Best regards,
                        Romana

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 27, 2010
                          You're on a different continent, right?

                          This sounds to me like one of those cases where they want to penalize you financially for their own mistake. I've had one or two similar situations from European agencies, and since there's not much I can do from the US to get my money, I just decide I've bought myself a lesson.

                          If you think back on the situation, you'll probably remember all kinds of things that should have been red flags about them that might have told you they were iffy. You just incorporate that into your instinct for who to avoid.

                          Jamie

                          On Jun 27, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Romana wrote:

                          > Dear colleagues,
                          >
                          > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?
                          >
                          > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German: 5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been 17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am - which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
                          > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their client, as he was very annoyed.
                          >
                          > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.
                          >
                          > What do you suggest I should do?
                          >
                          > Best regards,
                          > Romana

                        • Helga Mailinglists
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 27, 2010
                            Hi Romana,

                            as we say in German (and, sorry, no idea how to say that in English or
                            Czech) Dumm gelaufen!

                            As I see it, you mad three major mistakes with this job:

                            a) no matter whether it was written in Englisch (Friday, 25 June, 5:00
                            or in German Freitag, 25. Juni, 5:00 Uhr) this clearly indicates morning
                            hours, as in English as well as in German we would definitely say 17:00 (or
                            pm (in English) if we mean afternoon hours. So there is actually nothing to
                            clarify - it was cristal clear.

                            b) As soon as you have been informed that the deadline was different
                            to what you anticipated, you should have sent what every you had already
                            translated at that point + confirm with the agency in writing that they
                            extend the deadline for you + that they will pay (in full or at a reduced
                            rate) for the whole thing.

                            c) Before taking the job you should have searched their website for
                            AGBs (their general terms and conditions for subcontractors), because
                            usually (not only in the CR) these state that they are binding for everyone
                            taking a job from them.

                            As I see it, there is not much of a chance for you to get paid :-( Though,
                            but a lecture for the future.

                            Helga

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 27, 2010
                              I have stranger ways of checking out agencies based on my art and design background and the general ways people communicate. Some of the criteria I use to decide an agency is risky are somewhat politically incorrect, but they usually work for me.

                              Often a quick overall glance at their website and their general way of communicating with you is all you need to see that they're fishy, and you don't have to go all the way to reading their terms and conditions before rejecting them.

                              Jamie

                              On Jun 27, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Helga Mailinglists wrote:

                              > c) Before taking the job you should have searched their website for
                              > AGBs (their general terms and conditions for subcontractors), because
                              > usually (not only in the CR) these state that they are binding for everyone
                              > taking a job from them.

                            • Romana
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 27, 2010
                                Re: You're on a different continent, right?

                                I am, Jamie, that's true, but: In this case, the job was passed on to me by
                                a translator in Austria. The agency doesn't even know that I made the
                                translation. So, basically they are dealing with the Austrian translator
                                within the EU - who deals with me and (understandably) says that she can't
                                pay me if she doesn't get paid. Does that change anything about our
                                prospects to get the money? I can't believe that any business could legally
                                use a translation product without paying for it, irrespective of the time
                                issue. (?)

                                Regards,
                                Romana (from Australia)

                                By the way: The Austrian colleague has been a very good business partner for
                                me for many years, so I would like to help her rather than sue her.

                                This sounds to me like one of those cases where they want to penalize you
                                financially for their own mistake. I've had one or two similar situations
                                from European agencies, and since there's not much I can do from the US to
                                get my money, I just decide I've bought myself a lesson.

                                If you think back on the situation, you'll probably remember all kinds of
                                things that should have been red flags about them that might have told you
                                they were iffy. You just incorporate that into your instinct for who to
                                avoid.

                                Jamie

                                On Jun 27, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Romana wrote:

                                > Dear colleagues,
                                >
                                > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech
                                agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?

                                > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a
                                first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which
                                specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German:
                                5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been
                                17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to
                                be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the
                                translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but
                                that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then
                                they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am -
                                which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me
                                to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
                                > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me
                                for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their
                                client, as he was very annoyed.

                                > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all
                                and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation
                                was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar
                                business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should
                                be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a
                                matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I
                                don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.

                                > What do you suggest I should do?
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                > Romana

                              • Helena Subrtova
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 28, 2010
                                  I suppose the agency must have got the money, or even the Austrian
                                  translator.
                                  I would try to contact them (by e-mails, polite ones, reminding them to
                                  pay) or put them on a black list (a public one).

                                  Helena

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 28, 2010
                                    Another option. Tell them: 'I understand you have not got paid for my
                                    translation since it was late. I am sure you won't mind if I check that
                                    with the client?'

                                    Martin

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 28, 2010
                                      Nevim, nevim!
                                      Pochopitelne i mne je kolegyne Romana lito, ale to nemeni nic na veci, ze
                                      a) se spatne "domnivala" ohledne dodaci lhute (a nezjistovala hned jestli se
                                      domniva dobre),
                                      b) se neujistila (pisemne!) hned po prodlouzeni dodaci lhute, ze to nemeni
                                      nic na ostatni dohode,
                                      c) do vztahu mezi jejim objednavatelem a objednavatelem jejiho objednavatele
                                      jakoz i vztahu mezi prvnim dodavatelem prekladu a klientovi, ktery preklad
                                      puvodne objednal, i vubec nic neni. Nebo zajima nekoho z vas tady, jestli
                                      boty, auto, potraviny, ktery si kdekoliv koupite, jsou tou prodejnou
                                      dodavatelem zbozi zaplaceni???

                                      Beru to jen s moji rakouskou mentalitou, mym rakouskym "zdravim domacim
                                      rozumem": Stala se chyba na me strane, byla jsem blba. Musim za to zaplatit.
                                      Vse ostatni, jako kontaktovani skutecneho objednavatel a konecniho uzivatele
                                      prekladu povazuji za extremne neprofesionalni (at uz takove kontaktovani je
                                      uskutecneno sebe milejsim zpusobem).

                                      Helga

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 28, 2010
                                        Souhlasim, i ja bych kontaktovani klienta povazoval az za posledni
                                        zoufalou moznost - a soucasne i spaleni veskerych mostu s agenturou. Ale
                                        ja nerikam, ze Romana musi klienta kontaktovat - jen napsat agenture, co
                                        jsem rikal :-)

                                        Myslim, ze tady je jeste spousta prostoru k jednani, a pri jednani se
                                        hodi lecjake argumenty...

                                        Na stranu druhou, treba u klientu, kteri vytrvale a systematicky neplati
                                        me faktury, a vyhruzky kontaktovanim klienta se mijeji ucinkem, tam bych
                                        se nerozpakoval ho skutecne kontaktovat.

                                        M.

                                        Na druhou stranu,

                                        Dne 28.6.2010 11:28, Helga Mailinglists napsal(a):

                                        > Nevim, nevim!
                                        > Pochopitelne i mne je kolegyne Romana lito, ale to nemeni nic na veci, ze
                                        > a) se spatne "domnivala" ohledne dodaci lhute (a nezjistovala hned jestli se
                                        > domniva dobre),
                                        > b) se neujistila (pisemne!) hned po prodlouzeni dodaci lhute, ze to nemeni
                                        > nic na ostatni dohode,
                                        > c) do vztahu mezi jejim objednavatelem a objednavatelem jejiho objednavatele
                                        > jakoz i vztahu mezi prvnim dodavatelem prekladu a klientovi, ktery preklad
                                        > puvodne objednal, i vubec nic neni. Nebo zajima nekoho z vas tady, jestli
                                        > boty, auto, potraviny, ktery si kdekoliv koupite, jsou tou prodejnou
                                        > dodavatelem zbozi zaplaceni???
                                        >
                                        > Beru to jen s moji rakouskou mentalitou, mym rakouskym "zdravim domacim
                                        > rozumem": Stala se chyba na me strane, byla jsem blba. Musim za to zaplatit.
                                        > Vse ostatni, jako kontaktovani skutecneho objednavatel a konecniho uzivatele
                                        > prekladu povazuji za extremne neprofesionalni (at uz takove kontaktovani je
                                        > uskutecneno sebe milejsim zpusobem).
                                        >
                                        > Helga

                                      • Romana
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 28, 2010
                                          I like this one best. It sounds truly innocent and charming. :)

                                          Another option. Tell them: 'I understand you have not got paid for my
                                          translation since it was late. I am sure you won't mind if I check that
                                          with the client?'

                                          Martin

                                          Dne 28.6.2010 10:19, Helena Subrtova napsal(a):

                                          > I suppose the agency must have got the money, or even the Austrian
                                          > translator.
                                          > I would try to contact them (by e-mails, polite ones, reminding them to
                                          > pay) or put them on a black list (a public one).
                                          >
                                          > Helena
                                          >
                                          > Dne 27.6.2010 23:51, Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                                          > <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> napsal(a):
                                          > > Re: You're on a different continent, right?
                                          > >
                                          > > I am, Jamie, that's true, but: In this case, the job was passed on to
                                          > me by
                                          > > a translator in Austria. The agency doesn't even know that I made the
                                          > > translation. So, basically they are dealing with the Austrian
                                          translator
                                          > > within the EU - who deals with me and (understandably) says that she
                                          > can't
                                          > > pay me if she doesn't get paid. Does that change anything about our
                                          > > prospects to get the money? I can't believe that any business could
                                          > legally
                                          > > use a translation product without paying for it, irrespective of the
                                          time
                                          > > issue. (?)
                                          > >
                                          > > Regards,
                                          > > Romana (from Australia)
                                          > >
                                          > > By the way: The Austrian colleague has been a very good business
                                          > partner for
                                          > > me for many years, so I would like to help her rather than sue her.

                                        • Sarka Rubkova
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 29, 2010
                                            Musím souhlasit s Helgou.

                                            sarka

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 30, 2010
                                              Ja bych k tomu jeste dodal neco z druhe strany:

                                              Parkrat se mi stalo, ze mi spolupracujici prekladatel provedl neco
                                              podobneho - do posledni chvile tvrdil ze preklad zvladne a pak zavolal
                                              tesne pred terminem (nebo po nem) ze ne, parkrat nekdo odevzdal totalne
                                              zkazeny preklad, horsi nez z prekladace jen proto, ze to nezvladl,
                                              jednou jsem jednomu panovi, ktery byl do te doby spolehlivy, volal rano
                                              v den odevzdani a on byl tak opily, ze nemohl ani mluvit...

                                              Romanina situace je urcite jina, jak jsme cetli, ale z pohledu klienta
                                              je to pruser a z pohledu toho, kdo tu zakazku dostal od klienta take,
                                              nedivim se ,ze jsou oba nastvani, prece jen bylo jasne receno kdy je
                                              treba odevzdat... jasne ze se clovek muze prehlidnout a je to uplne
                                              normalni, ale je treba to priznat..

                                              I pokud je pak preklad pouzit, myslim, ze klient si zaslouzi podstatnou
                                              slevu a poooradnou omluvu.... ja mam zkusenost ze na klienty nejlip
                                              pusobi kdyz si prekladatel/agentura v takovem pripade nasype popel na
                                              hlavu, omluvi se, nabidne slevu a treba i praci zadara na pristim
                                              projektu.... klient se uklidni, zamysli se nad tim, ze se to mohlo stat
                                              a proc - a neztratite jej.... pokud mu budete vykladat, ze v pet rano
                                              se prece nic neodevzdava, akorat jej nastvete jeste vice..

                                              Podle meho to ten, u koho byl preklad puvodne objednan asi udelal -
                                              nebo to alespon zkusil... taky je mozne ze ani to nepomohlo a klienta
                                              ztratil... a pokud to byl pravidelny a dobry klient tak to je velka
                                              ztrata, takze se nelze divit nastvani a snaze resit to financni
                                              kompenzaci... je to vzdycky na domluve, ja bych si sypal popel na
                                              hlavu, omlouval se a navrhoval slevu.... myslim ze takovy postup vede k
                                              lepsim vysledkum nez necim vyhrozovat, koneckoncu i kdyz je to chyba
                                              pochopitelna, je na Tvoji strane, Romano..

                                              Nikoho nesoudim, jen se snazim vysvetlit to z druhe strany z pohledu
                                              toho, kdo bez vlastniho pricineni mozna prisel o klienta (nebo ma ted
                                              nastvaneho klienta)

                                              Matej

                                              >Pochopitelne i mne je kolegyne Romana lito, ale to nemeni nic na veci,
                                              >ze
                                              >a) se spatne "domnivala" ohledne dodaci lhute (a nezjistovala hned
                                              >jestli se
                                              >domniva dobre),
                                              >b) se neujistila (pisemne!) hned po prodlouzeni dodaci lhute, ze to
                                              >nemeni
                                              >nic na ostatni dohode,
                                              >c) do vztahu mezi jejim objednavatelem a objednavatelem jejiho
                                              >objednavatele
                                              >jakoz i vztahu mezi prvnim dodavatelem prekladu a klientovi, ktery
                                              >preklad
                                              >puvodne objednal, i vubec nic neni. Nebo zajima nekoho z vas tady,
                                              >jestli
                                              >boty, auto, potraviny, ktery si kdekoliv koupite, jsou tou prodejnou
                                              >dodavatelem zbozi zaplaceni???
                                              >
                                              >Beru to jen s moji rakouskou mentalitou, mym rakouskym "zdravim
                                              >domacim
                                              >rozumem": Stala se chyba na me strane, byla jsem blba. Musim za to
                                              >zaplatit.
                                              >Vse ostatni, jako kontaktovani skutecneho objednavatel a konecniho
                                              >uzivatele
                                              >prekladu povazuji za extremne neprofesionalni (at uz takove
                                              >kontaktovani je
                                              >uskutecneno sebe milejsim zpusobem).
                                              >
                                              >Helga

                                            • Radek
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 30, 2010
                                                Do it as we do notarization in US.
                                                You put at the end of each page something like

                                                I hereby certify that this is a true, faithful and accurate XXXXX translation of the attached document written in the YYYY language, which I am fully qualified to translate. I am a member of the American Translators Association, the National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators, and the Czech and Slovak Union of Interpreters and Translators.

                                                Under it you put your name, address phone, website, and whatever else you like, you date it and than you sign it in front of a public notary and this is end of the story.

                                                Notary is notarizing only your signature (sometimes you need to explain it to them, if they are virgins in this area (smile)

                                                Sincerely

                                                R. Pletka

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 30, 2010
                                                  If I were in your shoes, I would apologize for my mistake and offered to do it for free even before they said anything else.
                                                  I will not expect any money, in fact I would offer some serious discount to the agency for next 1-2 jobs, if I want to keep the agency as a client.
                                                  Client is always right (smile) and 5.00 is 5. am German time (smile)
                                                  Global word mean you know your time.
                                                  You "thought" because you didn't know any better.
                                                  Thinking is sometimes very dangerous and costly (in your case) activity (smile)
                                                  I have US phone number and clients presume I am in Arizona time zone.
                                                  If I am not, it is only my problem, not theirs (smile).

                                                  Radek

                                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Romana" <czechlist@...> wrote:

                                                  > Dear colleagues,
                                                  >
                                                  > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?
                                                  >
                                                  > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German: 5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been 17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am - which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
                                                  > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their client, as he was very annoyed.
                                                  >
                                                  > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.
                                                  >
                                                  > What do you suggest I should do?
                                                  >
                                                  > Best regards,
                                                  > Romana

                                                • Kostas
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 7, 2010
                                                    Romana, I am entirely on your side in this situation. if the deadline is so extremely important as it was in this case - they should communicate it with you in the appropriate way. It seems that the deadline played a specially important role at this assignment so they should pass it on appropriately. If I were charged with taking care for such assignment, I would never write "by 5:00" without any other commentary, but I would take the responsibility to make sure this is clear to you. I would actually think on my side like: "I need to explain her what I mean by 5:00 or she might confuse it with 17:00". Why not?

                                                    I think the best lesson one can make out of it is that marketing activities and looking for new clients should be of higher priority than working for Czech agencies:-)

                                                    K.

                                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Romana" <czechlist@...> wrote:

                                                    > Dear colleagues,
                                                    >
                                                    > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?
                                                    >
                                                    > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German: 5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been 17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am - which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
                                                    > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their client, as he was very annoyed.
                                                    >
                                                    > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.
                                                    >
                                                    > What do you suggest I should do?
                                                    >
                                                    > Best regards,
                                                    > Romana

                                                  • Romana
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 7, 2010
                                                      Thanks, K.!

                                                      You are certainly right with "I think the best lesson one can make out of it
                                                      is that marketing activities and looking for new clients should be of higher
                                                      priority than working for Czech agencies:-)" J

                                                      To sum it all up, I was surprised that none of the respondents to my post
                                                      actually recommended taking legal steps against the agency if they should
                                                      not pay me at all, or getting the support of my insurance company to help me
                                                      enforcing the payment. Of course, I am trying to resolve the issue amicably
                                                      first - I have offered them 25% discount on my invoice. Haven't heard back
                                                      from them since. But in case they should not pay at all - wouldn't it
                                                      encourage them to do the same thing to other translators, too, over and over
                                                      again, whenever the translator makes any mistake, and enrich themselves this
                                                      way by charging the client but not paying the translator, if they don't feel
                                                      any pain the very first time, and don't have to go through the trouble of
                                                      having to defend themselves? Perhaps they are already doing such things on
                                                      purpose, because they believe that no translator would step up against them.

                                                      I believe translators, in general, should step up more confidently in their
                                                      dealings with agencies. We are the professionals producing the value, they
                                                      are just marketers whose services we use. If they want to trade our product
                                                      they have to buy it in first place.

                                                      Romana

                                                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                                      "Romana" <czechlist@...> wrote:

                                                      > Dear colleagues,
                                                      >
                                                      > Can you tell me something about the usual terms and conditions of Czech
                                                      agencies with regard to late delivery of translations?

                                                      > The case: Last week I translated a contract for a Czech agency. It was a
                                                      first-time collaboration, based on a short assignment by email which
                                                      specified the delivery time in German: Friday, 25 June, 5:00 (in German:
                                                      5:00 Uhr). I (wrongly) assumed that they meant 5 pm - which would have been
                                                      17 Uhr, as 5 o'clock in the morning is a very unusual time for agencies to
                                                      be working. At 8:00 am Czech time, the agency wrote an email asking for the
                                                      translation. I truthfully informed them that I was only half through, but
                                                      that I would have it completed by the end of their business hours. Only then
                                                      they clarified that the customer was expecting delivery already by 9 am -
                                                      which was impossible for me to do. Nevertheless, the agency insisted for me
                                                      to complete the work, as fast as possible. I delivered well before 5 pm.
                                                      > After I had delivered, the agency let me know that they would not pay me
                                                      for this work, because of late delivery and because they might lose their
                                                      client, as he was very annoyed.

                                                      > I repeat: They do not want to pay me AT ALL! I believe this is against all
                                                      and any rules in the translation business. As the quality of the translation
                                                      was good and the client is going to use it for their multi-million-dollar
                                                      business deal, I can expect full payment. Any damage claims (if any) should
                                                      be submitted in writing, independently of this payment, and would be a
                                                      matter for my insurance to deal with. That's my point of view. However, I
                                                      don't know much about the Czech law in this respect.

                                                      > What do you suggest I should do?
                                                      >
                                                      > Best regards,
                                                      > Romana

                                                    • Kostas
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jul 7, 2010
                                                        You might find a way of taking some action against them, like reporting them to some credit bureau or a collection agency here in the CR. This should scare them, since these things start to be taken pretty seriously here. Or you might find a way how to put some dirt on them through internet. like reporting them to BB on Proz.com, Ted Wozniak, etc.

                                                        K.