Scripting language

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
      Can someone tell me what you call the type of computer scripting language that has to be hosted on a server? I'm thinking about things like PHP, ColdFusion, etc., where a module has to reside on the server and interpret the code in the web page.

      The two terms that come to mind are "server-side script" and "hosted scripting language", but I'm not sure if those are correct.

      I'm trying to tell a kid who's developing a website not to use that type of language.

      Any help?

      Jamie
    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
        It is usually called "server-side scripting".

        Josef

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
          Thank you, Josef.

          JK

          On Jun 11, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

          > It is usually called "server-side scripting".
          >
          > Josef
          >
          > James Kirchner wrote:
          > > Can someone tell me what you call the type of computer scripting language that has to be hosted on a server? I'm thinking about things like PHP, ColdFusion, etc., where a module has to reside on the server and interpret the code in the web page.
          > >
          > > The two terms that come to mind are "server-side script" and "hosted scripting language", but I'm not sure if those are correct.
          > >
          > > I'm trying to tell a kid who's developing a website not to use that type of language.
          > >
          > > Any help?
          > >
          > > Jamie

        • Kostas
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2010
            Just of curiosity: why are you trying a kid not to use that type of language?

            K.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2010
              On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Kostas wrote:

              > Just of curiosity: why are you trying a kid not to use that type of language?
              >
              > K.

              It's complicated.

              We have a simple website for a single event that conveys simple information. There are no dynamic elements in the page, and none are actually needed for such simple functions. The kid wants to redesign it. His mother thinks he's a web genius, but all we have seen him do is select and fill out a Wordpress template.

              There are three main reasons I don't want the kid to use that kind of scripting language:

              1. I don't feel like adding support for any specific language to our hosting account for a page that's just going to stay up for a couple of months and that doesn't need dynamic elements, especially if the support results in added cost to the account.

              2. The association the site is for, which is my state translators association, is full of computer-phobes who don't seem to upgrade. (The worst in this are largely interpreters.) Anything beyond late 1990s technology that is used in a website is liable to generate angry phone calls that I have to answer. (For example, when our main site started requiring FlashPlayer, I had to deal with a furious member who refused to download and install it.) Our site has to communicate with these computer-phobes also.

              3. I want the site simple, so that it can be maintained and repurposed by amateurs.

              There are other factors involved in the situation that aren't related to the scripting language but motivate me to constrain the kid as much as possible. He is only involved in this because his mother is on the board and wants us to nepotistically engage the boy and give him the run of the web server. She loves him very much. The boy is very bad at hiding the fact that he thinks adults are stupid, so he patronizingly explains to me the very rudiments of web technology, as if I'd just rolled out of the attic trunk after 100 years.

              Lastly, our organization has had severe problems in controlling its web communications before because of previous nepotism, and I prefer to deal with adult professionals who are not related to anyone in the organization.

              Jamie
            • Kostas
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2010
                Yes, I can understand all this.:-)