ADMIN: Czechlist 2.0 (was: ADMIN: It was back in the autumn of '99..)

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 6 2:23 AM
      You will be pleased to hear that there are now two Czechlists to choose from: the old Yahoogroups Czechlist at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/czechlist/ where it is very much business as usual and New Czechlist, which you can subscribe to at http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist .

      What is the difference? Well, New Czechlist is like old Czechlist, but with added diacritics. Once you have subscribed, send messages to New Czechlist at czechlist@... and not only will they appear there in all their diacritical glory, but they will also appear simultaneously in old Czechlist without diacritics.

      Or send your messages minus diacritics to old Czechlist and they will appear both here and in New Czechlist. Messages will be archived in both lists simultaneously.

      Put your ear to your computer and you will hear Tomas running around in the intertubes down there with all those hacky and carky. Our thanks go to him and Joe for all their patience and hard work.

      So we'll see how things pan out. Any questions or thoughts?

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Josef Hlavac <joe@> wrote:
      > > I do carry an idea in my mind - we could switch to a
      > > different server, where people would be able to choose their preferred
      > > encoding of those funky Czech diacritics (including no diacritics at
      > > all). The server should automagically recognize the encoding of incoming
      > > messages, recode them as appropriate, and distribute.
      >
      > Hi Joe,
      >
      > If you think you could deliver a more sophisticated solution (e.g. with semi-automated term extraction and advanced search capabilities) that is more efficient and reliable than the Yahoogroups list with its promised improvements then I can only say go for it.
      >
      > Any other thoughts, anybody?
      >
      > BR
      >
      > Melvyn

    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6 5:26 AM
        AWESOME!

        Sakra, I guess this means I'll have to start adding hacky and carky to my Czech...

        Good job guys :)

        Liz

        > You will be pleased to hear that there are now two Czechlists to choose from: the old Yahoogroups Czechlist at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/czechlist/ where it is very much business as usual and New Czechlist, which you can subscribe to at http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist .
        >

        > What is the difference? Well, New Czechlist is like old Czechlist, but with added diacritics. Once you have subscribed, send messages to New Czechlist at czechlist@... and not only will they appear there in all their diacritical glory, but they will also appear simultaneously in old Czechlist without diacritics.
        >
        > Or send your messages minus diacritics to old Czechlist and they will appear both here and in New Czechlist. Messages will be archived in both lists simultaneously.
        >

        > Put your ear to your computer and you will hear Tomas running around in the intertubes down there with all those hacky and carky. Our thanks go to him and Joe for all their patience and hard work.
        >
        > So we'll see how things pan out. Any questions or thoughts?
        >
        > BR
        >
        > M.
        >

        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Josef Hlavac <joe@> wrote:
        > > > I do carry an idea in my mind - we could switch to a
        > > > different server, where people would be able to choose their preferred
        > > > encoding of those funky Czech diacritics (including no diacritics at
        > > > all). The server should automagically recognize the encoding of incoming
        > > > messages, recode them as appropriate, and distribute.
        > >
        > > Hi Joe,
        > >
        > > If you think you could deliver a more sophisticated solution (e.g. with semi-automated term extraction and advanced search capabilities) that is more efficient and reliable than the Yahoogroups list with its promised improvements then I can only say go for it.
        > >
        > > Any other thoughts, anybody?
        > >
        > > BR
        > >
        > > Melvyn

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6 9:21 AM
          send messages to New Czechlist at czechlist@...

          That should read czechlist at czechlist dot org, of course.