Re: "normostranka"

  • Coilin
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
      It's usually just called a "standard page" here. Sometimes with an explanation in brackets, e.g. (1800 characters, including spaces)
      HTH
      Coilin

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
        Thanks, Jan and Coilin. That's what I did. I was just checking my judgment against others'.

        Jamie

        On Jun 3, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Coilin wrote:

        > It's usually just called a "standard page" here. Sometimes with an explanation in brackets, e.g. (1800 characters, including spaces)
        > HTH
        > Coilin
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is there a standard English translation for the term "normostranka"?
        > >
        > > Since we don't quote in normostranky in the English-speaking world (I don't think), I have never seen a term for it.
        > >
        > > What do you folks use?
        > >
        > > Jamie

      • Romana
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hi,

          I am just a bit worried about 1800 characters.

          In Germany, it is determined by law (Zeugen- und Sachverständigengesetz)
          that a standard page for translators is 30 standard lines with 55 strokes
          (characters and spaces) each, which makes 1650 strokes, i.e. about 1500
          characters or approximately 300 words. The latter - 300 words - constitutes
          a 'standard page' according to Australian law and is also used frequently by
          American agencies. Therefore, I think that 1800 characters, as Jamie
          suggested, might be too much to base your quote on!

          Regards,
          Romana

          Thanks, Jan and Coilin. That's what I did. I was just checking my judgment
          against others'.

          Jamie

          On Jun 3, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Coilin wrote:

          > It's usually just called a "standard page" here. Sometimes with an
          explanation in brackets, e.g. (1800 characters, including spaces)
          > HTH
          > Coilin
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a standard English translation for the term "normostranka"?
          > >
          > > Since we don't quote in normostranky in the English-speaking world (I
          don't think), I have never seen a term for it.

          > > What do you folks use?
          > >
          > > Jamie

        • Liz Spacilova
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
            Hi,

            I also say and hear "standard page".

            That said, I usually find (translating into English) that the number of pages you end up calculating, from highest to lowest, is:

            250 words
            1500 characters without spaces
            1800 characters with spaces

            For example, one of the last larger translations I did came had 22,712 words, 128,209 characters without spaces or 150,363 characters with spaces. Calculated into "NS" this is 90.8, 85.5 and 83.5 pages, respectively.

            I usually use the w/o spaces calculation (unless it is a powerpoint, then I take advantage of the fact that the program only tallies the number of words), but I did have a small misunderstanding with one client who is quite adamant about using the calculation including spaces.

            I wonder what other people's experience is?

            Liz

            > Thanks, Jan and Coilin. That's what I did. I was just checking my judgment against others'.
            >
            > Jamie
            >
            > On Jun 3, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Coilin wrote:
            >

            > > It's usually just called a "standard page" here. Sometimes with an explanation in brackets, e.g. (1800 characters, including spaces)
            > > HTH
            > > Coilin
            > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is there a standard English translation for the term "normostranka"?
            > > >
            > > > Since we don't quote in normostranky in the English-speaking world (I don't think), I have never seen a term for it.
            > > >
            > > > What do you folks use?
            > > >
            > > > Jamie

          • Liz Spacilova
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
              Wow, 300? That would have really put a dent in that job - based on the 1800 character with space calculation it was 83.5 pages, but 22,712 / 300 words = 75.7 pages.

              - Liz

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Romana" <rvlcek@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am just a bit worried about 1800 characters.
              >
              > In Germany, it is determined by law (Zeugen- und Sachverständigengesetz)
              > that a standard page for translators is 30 standard lines with 55 strokes
              > (characters and spaces) each, which makes 1650 strokes, i.e. about 1500
              > characters or approximately 300 words. The latter - 300 words - constitutes
              > a 'standard page' according to Australian law and is also used frequently by
              > American agencies. Therefore, I think that 1800 characters, as Jamie
              > suggested, might be too much to base your quote on!
              >
              > Regards,
              > Romana

            • Romana
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                Yes, Liz,

                Here in Australia, one standard page is 300 words. Definitely.

                Source: NAATI – National Accreditation Agency for Translators and
                Interpreters

                Don’t know about the US and UK though.

                Regards,

                Romana

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "Romana" <rvlcek@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I am just a bit worried about 1800 characters.
                >
                > In Germany, it is determined by law (Zeugen- und Sachverständigengesetz)
                > that a standard page for translators is 30 standard lines with 55 strokes
                > (characters and spaces) each, which makes 1650 strokes, i.e. about 1500
                > characters or approximately 300 words. The latter - 300 words -
                constitutes
                > a 'standard page' according to Australian law and is also used frequently
                by
                > American agencies. Therefore, I think that 1800 characters, as Jamie
                > suggested, might be too much to base your quote on!
                >
                > Regards,
                > Romana

              • Liz Spacilova
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                  I guess the lesson is - always clarify the definition of "page" at the beginning of the assignment.

                  In CZ you can use 1500 w/o or 1800 w/ spaces, but the 1500 calculation is almost always better, for long translations definitely.

                  In the US words and hours seem to be the norm.

                  And just to add to the "what people get for an hour's work" banter, a friend of mine has just gone to Canada to learn English. She just got a little side job cleaning houses - for $25 / hour.

                • Romana
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Liz,

                    Re cleaning jobs: Here in rural Australia, cleaners charge anything from $5
                    (five) to $50 (fifty) an hour - and they usually get paid what they ask
                    for. I pay my cleaner $25 because she is really good. However, I could get a
                    hopeless cleaner easily for $5 /hour only, but what is the point? I don’t
                    want any headaches, I want a clean house!

                    I’ve heard of a business man who advertised exactly the same executive
                    position in his company in the same region, but in two different (equally
                    distributed) newspapers. In one, he offered an annual salary of $50,000. In
                    the other ad, with exactly the same wording, he offered an annual salary of
                    $500,000. Guess which job offer attracted more applicants!?

                    Answer: 50 times more people applied to do the same work for one tenth of
                    the money available.

                    Guess who got the job?

                    Answer: It was the applicant who charged the highest price.

                    Regards,

                    Romana

                    "Romana" <rvlcek@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, Liz,
                    >

                    > Here in Australia, one standard page is 300 words. Definitely.
                    >
                    > Source: NAATI – National Accreditation Agency for Translators and
                    > Interpreters
                    >
                    > Don't know about the US and UK though.
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Romana
                    >

                    > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Wow, 300? That would have really put a dent in that job - based on the
                    1800
                    > character with space calculation it was 83.5 pages, but 22,712 / 300 words
                    =
                    > 75.7 pages.
                    >
                    > - Liz
                    >
                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                    > "Romana" <rvlcek@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > I am just a bit worried about 1800 characters.
                    > >
                    > > In Germany, it is determined by law (Zeugen- und Sachverständigengesetz)
                    > > that a standard page for translators is 30 standard lines with 55
                    strokes
                    > > (characters and spaces) each, which makes 1650 strokes, i.e. about 1500
                    > > characters or approximately 300 words. The latter - 300 words -
                    > constitutes
                    > > a 'standard page' according to Australian law and is also used
                    frequently
                    > by
                    > > American agencies. Therefore, I think that 1800 characters, as Jamie
                    > > suggested, might be too much to base your quote on!
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Romana

                  • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                      It's what every agency I've worked with here uses, FWIW. German is different - they have much longer words, so fewer characters per page, than Czech. I've also seen the 300 words here as well, but the 1800 characters with spaces is more common, in my own personal experience.

                      Jennifer

                      On 3.6.2010, at 14:28, Romana wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I am just a bit worried about 1800 characters.
                      >
                      > In Germany, it is determined by law (Zeugen- und Sachverst�ndigengesetz)
                      > that a standard page for translators is 30 standard lines with 55 strokes
                      > (characters and spaces) each, which makes 1650 strokes, i.e. about 1500
                      > characters or approximately 300 words. The latter - 300 words - constitutes
                      > a 'standard page' according to Australian law and is also used frequently by
                      > American agencies. Therefore, I think that 1800 characters, as Jamie
                      > suggested, might be too much to base your quote on!
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Romana

                    • Alena Rysková 2e
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                        Hello everyone,
                        And especially those who can explain the above phrase to me :-)
                        It is one item in the Companies House "Current Appointments Report" and says "7 ( 1 outstanding / 0 part satisfied / 6 satisfied )" - does charges mean fees? accusations? ...?
                        TIA
                        Alena

                      • Charlie Stanford
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                          In this Current Appointments Report http://weblog.bergersen.net/jarle/bedriftsguiden-ltd-2.pdf
                          (and quite a few others it seems) charges seems to be referring to mortgages - i.e. charges (penalties) for mortgage arrears.... In which case "satisfied" would presumably mean "settled". But I would not take my word for it.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 4, 2010
                            Thank you, Charlie,
                            I´ll use that. In "my" CAR no mortgage is mentioned, but after all, there are other items more important. I just do not want to write a total nonsense (like "pocet nabiti") ;-)
                            Alena

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 4, 2010
                              Aleno,
                              souhlasim s Charliem.
                              Prave mam na stole podobny dokument, ktery vydal Companies House a jmenuje
                              se "The Company Record for" (nasleduje nazev spolecnosti).
                              Na 1. strane u udaju spolecnosti je tez uvedeno Number of Charges: 1 (1
                              outstanding / 0 part satisfied / 0 satisfied)
                              Posledni strana tohoto dokumentu (vypis z OR) ma nazev: Mortgage Charge
                              Details a v popisu se mimo jine uvadi:
                              Amount Secured: ALL MONIES DUE OR TO BECOME DUE FROM THE COMPANY TO THE
                              CHARGE UNDER THE TERMS OF THE LEASE
                              Bude se tedy jednat o "zastavu"
                              To mi potvrzuje i glosar, ktery nam dal Steve Hobbs na jednom seminari
                              pravnicke anglictiny:
                              Charge - a form of security for the payment of a debt or performance of an
                              obligation consisting of the right of a creditor to receive payment out of
                              some specific fund or out of the proceeds of sale of or income from specific
                              property
                              Zdravi
                              Olga

                              _____

                              And especially those who can explain the above phrase to me :-)
                              It is one item in the Companies House "Current Appointments Report" and says
                              "7 ( 1 outstanding / 0 part satisfied / 6 satisfied )" - does charges mean
                              fees? accusations? ...?
                              TIA
                              Alena

                              Jsem chr�n�n bezplatn�m SPAMfighter pro soukrom� u�ivatele.
                              A� doposud m� u�et�il p��jmu 8283 spam-email�.
                              Plat�c� u�ivatel� tuto zpr�vu ve sv�ch e-mailech nedostavaj�.
                              St�hn�te si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

                            • Charlie Stanford
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 4, 2010
                                I just thought "charge" meant "penalty" for mortgage arrears. This
                                explanation sounds much more accurate than mine.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 5, 2010
                                  Back in the day, my Prague agency also used the expression "standard
                                  page" and 1650 characters, which more-or-less corresponded to the JTP
                                  specifications at the time. (Actually, those were pretty clearly based
                                  on typewritten pages and involved stipulating how to count partial
                                  lines, partial pages, etc., but 1650 characters is about what it came
                                  out to based on actual documents.) I'm not as sure, but I think we
                                  also used 275 words as a rule-of-thumb conversion factor.

                                  Michael

                                  On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Romana <rvlcek@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I am just a bit worried about 1800 characters.
                                  >
                                  > In Germany, it is determined by law (Zeugen- und Sachverständigengesetz)
                                  > that a standard page for translators is 30 standard lines with 55 strokes
                                  > (characters and spaces) each, which makes 1650 strokes, i.e. about 1500
                                  > characters or approximately 300 words. The latter - 300 words - constitutes
                                  > a 'standard page' according to Australian law and is also used frequently by
                                  > American agencies. Therefore, I think that 1800 characters, as Jamie
                                  > suggested, might be too much to base your quote on!
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Romana

                                  There's really no such thing as translating. It's all a scam. We
                                  basically just make stuff up and try to make it sound plausible.
                                • Liz Spacilova
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 5, 2010
                                    Wow, I live in pricy Prague and pay my cleaning woman $6 an hour, and she is wonderful - thorough, reliable, trustworthy, and friendly so I can even practice my Russian with her.

                                    So I guess that brings us to that conversation about translation rates after all.

                                    If good Australian cleaning ladies cost $25 an hour and good Australian translators $50 an hour, and good Czech cleaning ladies cost $6 an hour ... shouldn't good Czech translators cost $12 an hour? what would that bring us to ... about 3.5 cents a word?

                                  • Alena Ryšková 2e
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 7, 2010
                                      Olgo, dekuji za potvrzeni, zastava je presne to, co jsem tam nakonec
                                      napsala.
                                      A.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 6, 2011
                                        Pro Alenu: Slovo "zástava" použít nelze (alespoň ne vždy). Slovo "zástava" označuje specificky zastavovanou věc (viz §§ 152 a násl. občanského zákoníku). Zastavovaná věc (např. dům), tedy "zástava", nemůže být "outstanding" ani "satisfied". Zástava (věc) naopak zajišuje, aby určitý závazek mohl být "satisfied", i když povinný neplní dobrovolně. Navrhoval bych tedy spíše termín "zajištění", by vzhledem k § 323a ObchZ to také není úplně ono.

                                        Pro Olgu: Vᚠtext by měl znít takto: MONIES DUE ... TO THE CHARGEE (dvě "e", tj. nikoli "charge", ale "chargEE", tedy "věřitel", srov. např. "mortgagEE"). Tj. "peníze, které mají být zaplaceny věřiteli".

                                        Pavel Filip