Low rates - calling their bluff

    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2010
      Last weekend I was at an ATA financial translation seminar where one colleague recounted an interesting story.

      Like the rest of us, he gets those queries, usually through ProZ.com, offering comically low rates.

      At first he always deleted the e-mails, but one day, just for fun, he decided to start making counter-offers at his normal rates, which are about four times higher than those specified in the agency queries.

      To his surprise, several agencies actually accepted his counter-offers and paid him quadruple the rate they had originally asked for!

      Jamie
    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2010
        Interesting. But don't you think it's like offering Chanel No. 5 to someone who's looking for Fa? I mean, if they are so desperate and absolutely nothing else is around, maybe they would break down. But usually they hold out until they find that Fa.

        Just last week, for example, I wasted time with a woman who I kept telling I would be too expensive for her. She wanted to assign a technical German-English translation, rush (10 pages in 8 working hours), for 1.4 CZK a word -- that is 7 US cents. We had a couple of back and forths, I sent her my price list, and she wrote back to say I was certainly the most expensive translator she has ever encountered with my language combinations.

        I guess she was looking for Fa... but I did give her ample warning that she was looking in the wrong department.

        - Liz

        > Last weekend I was at an ATA financial translation seminar where one colleague recounted an interesting story.
        >
        > Like the rest of us, he gets those queries, usually through ProZ.com, offering comically low rates.
        >
        > At first he always deleted the e-mails, but one day, just for fun, he decided to start making counter-offers at his normal rates, which are about four times higher than those specified in the agency queries.
        >
        > To his surprise, several agencies actually accepted his counter-offers and paid him quadruple the rate they had originally asked for!
        >
        > Jamie

      • Charlie Stanford
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2010
          I have got a possible job for an agency but they want a test translation off me - actually it is a test correction but the job is not great. She sent me 1700 words (8NS?) for a test piece... I said that I thought that was rather a lot to do for a test translation and that 1700 words would take me about 2 hrs. and she said she could not believe it would take me 2 hrs to correct 1700 words.

          Interesting. But don't you think it's like offering Chanel No. 5 to someone who's looking for Fa? I mean, if they are so desperate and absolutely nothing else is around, maybe they would break down. But usually they hold out until they find that Fa.

          Just last week, for example, I wasted time with a woman who I kept telling I would be too expensive for her. She wanted to assign a technical German-English translation, rush (10 pages in 8 working hours), for 1.4 CZK a word -- that is 7 US cents. We had a couple of back and forths, I sent her my price list, and she wrote back to say I was certainly the most expensive translator she has ever encountered with my language combinations.

          I guess she was looking for Fa... but I did give her ample warning that she was looking in the wrong department.

          - Liz

          > Last weekend I was at an ATA financial translation seminar where one colleague recounted an interesting story.
          >
          > Like the rest of us, he gets those queries, usually through ProZ.com, offering comically low rates.
          >
          > At first he always deleted the e-mails, but one day, just for fun, he decided to start making counter-offers at his normal rates, which are about four times higher than those specified in the agency queries.
          >
          > To his surprise, several agencies actually accepted his counter-offers and paid him quadruple the rate they had originally asked for!

          Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
          Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 8280 spam-emailů.
          Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
          Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2010
            Send her to me and see what she says. :-)

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2010
              :) I am sure she leads a sheltered life.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2010
                That is definitely way too much. I would suspect she is looking for a freebie. In your shoes, Charlie, I would offer to correct the first page for her review. If she is happy with the work, I would then finish the correction and bill the entire order, including the "test" section. As to how long it takes to correct 1700 words ... it depends on the quality of the translation, doesn't it? But 850 words an hour certainly isn't unreasonable.

                Liz