Re: Záujmové združenie občanov

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      It's an awkward one IMHO because on the one hand your term excludes political movements, but then on the other hand it covers trade unions, which can often be pretty closely tied to political movements and parties, surely.

      First umbrella term that comes to my mind for everything from scientologists to pigeon fanciers is not-for-profit/non-profit organizations/corporations/associations, but you'd maybe have to tailor it to your special needs and specify non-political non-profits or something.

      Or could you not stretch "civic organizations" and its variants in a similar way to suit your purposes?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_organization

      Often translated on its own as obcanske sdruzeni according to Anglicko-cesky glosar terminilogie neziskoveho sektoru.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" <grabanrad@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Igor. I'm not sure whether religious groups or trade unions are
      > classified in English speaking world as citizens' interest groups.
    • Rad
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        I don't know, Melvyn.
        It's not from the translation project. I'm just reading "Trestný
        poriadok" and it's mentioned there together with "dôveryhodná
        osoba". E.g. § 5 (1):
        "Záujmové združenie občanov alebo dôveryhodná osoba
        môžu ponúknuÅ¥ prevzatie záruky za dovŕšenie
        nápravy odsúdeného a žiadaÅ¥ o jeho podmienečné
        prepustenie z výkonu trestu odňatia slobody.............."
        Asking just out of curiosity (and to add it to my glossary [:)] ).

        R.

        > It's an awkward one IMHO because on the one hand your term excludes
        political movements, but then on the other hand it covers trade unions,
        which can often be pretty closely tied to political movements and
        parties, surely.

        > First umbrella term that comes to my mind for everything from
        scientologists to pigeon fanciers is not-for-profit/non-profit
        organizations/corporations/associations, but you'd maybe have to tailor
        it to your special needs and specify non-political non-profits or
        something.

        > Or could you not stretch "civic organizations" and its variants in a
        similar way to suit your purposes?

        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_organization
        >
        > Often translated on its own as obcanske sdruzeni according to
        Anglicko-cesky glosar terminilogie neziskoveho sektoru.

        > BR
        >
        > M.
        >
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" grabanrad@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks, Igor. I'm not sure whether religious groups or trade unions
        are
        > > classified in English speaking world as citizens' interest groups.

      • Pavel
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          Hi,
          The following are translations that Marta Chroma suggests in her dictionary:
          ~é sdruzení obcanu: association of citizens (standing surety for s.o.'s rehabilitation); (local, professional) interest group; ~é sdruzení právnických osob: professional association of legal entities

          P.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2010
            Again, Pavel. I'm not convinced that e.g. skupina spolupracovníkov
            could be called "association". I was thinking about it a little bit more
            and thought of something like "relevant community". What do you think
            people?

            R.