Re: Záujmové združenie občanov

  • Rad
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      Thanks, Igor. I'm not sure whether religious groups or trade unions are
      classified in English speaking world as citizens' interest groups.

      R.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "iseykora" <seykora@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rad,
      >
      > I would translate it as "interest group of citizens"
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Igor
      >
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" grabanrad@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Any suggestions what would be the closest thing in English?
      > > Definícia (podľa Trestného poriadku) - "Záujmovými
      > > združeniami občanov sa na účely tohto zákona
      > > rozumejú najmä občianske združenia, odborové
      > > organizácie, kolektív spolupracovníkov a štátom
      > > uznávané cirkvi a náboženské spoločnosti; za
      > > záujmové združenia sa nepovažujú politické
      strany a
      > > hnutia."
      > >
      > > Rad

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        It's an awkward one IMHO because on the one hand your term excludes political movements, but then on the other hand it covers trade unions, which can often be pretty closely tied to political movements and parties, surely.

        First umbrella term that comes to my mind for everything from scientologists to pigeon fanciers is not-for-profit/non-profit organizations/corporations/associations, but you'd maybe have to tailor it to your special needs and specify non-political non-profits or something.

        Or could you not stretch "civic organizations" and its variants in a similar way to suit your purposes?

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_organization

        Often translated on its own as obcanske sdruzeni according to Anglicko-cesky glosar terminilogie neziskoveho sektoru.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          I don't know, Melvyn.
          It's not from the translation project. I'm just reading "Trestný
          poriadok" and it's mentioned there together with "dôveryhodná
          osoba". E.g. § 5 (1):
          "Záujmové združenie občanov alebo dôveryhodná osoba
          môžu ponúknuÅ¥ prevzatie záruky za dovŕšenie
          nápravy odsúdeného a žiadaÅ¥ o jeho podmienečné
          prepustenie z výkonu trestu odňatia slobody.............."
          Asking just out of curiosity (and to add it to my glossary [:)] ).

          R.

          > It's an awkward one IMHO because on the one hand your term excludes
          political movements, but then on the other hand it covers trade unions,
          which can often be pretty closely tied to political movements and
          parties, surely.

          > First umbrella term that comes to my mind for everything from
          scientologists to pigeon fanciers is not-for-profit/non-profit
          organizations/corporations/associations, but you'd maybe have to tailor
          it to your special needs and specify non-political non-profits or
          something.

          > Or could you not stretch "civic organizations" and its variants in a
          similar way to suit your purposes?

          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_organization
          >
          > Often translated on its own as obcanske sdruzeni according to
          Anglicko-cesky glosar terminilogie neziskoveho sektoru.

          > BR
          >
          > M.
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" grabanrad@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks, Igor. I'm not sure whether religious groups or trade unions
          are
          > > classified in English speaking world as citizens' interest groups.

        • Pavel
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2010
            Hi,
            The following are translations that Marta Chroma suggests in her dictionary:
            ~é sdruzení obcanu: association of citizens (standing surety for s.o.'s rehabilitation); (local, professional) interest group; ~é sdruzení právnických osob: professional association of legal entities

            P.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2010
              Again, Pavel. I'm not convinced that e.g. skupina spolupracovníkov
              could be called "association". I was thinking about it a little bit more
              and thought of something like "relevant community". What do you think
              people?

              R.