Re: Záujmové združenie občanov

  • iseykora
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Rad,

      I would translate it as "interest group of citizens"

      Regards

      Igor

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" <grabanrad@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Any suggestions what would be the closest thing in English?
      > Definícia (podľa Trestného poriadku) - "Záujmovými
      > združeniami občanov sa na účely tohto zákona
      > rozumejú najmä občianske združenia, odborové
      > organizácie, kolektív spolupracovníkov a štátom
      > uznávané cirkvi a náboženské spoločnosti; za
      > záujmové združenia sa nepovažujú politické strany a
      > hnutia."
      >
      > Rad

    • Rad
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        Thanks, Igor. I'm not sure whether religious groups or trade unions are
        classified in English speaking world as citizens' interest groups.

        R.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "iseykora" <seykora@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rad,
        >
        > I would translate it as "interest group of citizens"
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Igor
        >
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" grabanrad@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > Any suggestions what would be the closest thing in English?
        > > Definícia (podľa Trestného poriadku) - "Záujmovými
        > > združeniami občanov sa na účely tohto zákona
        > > rozumejú najmä občianske združenia, odborové
        > > organizácie, kolektív spolupracovníkov a štátom
        > > uznávané cirkvi a náboženské spoločnosti; za
        > > záujmové združenia sa nepovažujú politické
        strany a
        > > hnutia."
        > >
        > > Rad

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          It's an awkward one IMHO because on the one hand your term excludes political movements, but then on the other hand it covers trade unions, which can often be pretty closely tied to political movements and parties, surely.

          First umbrella term that comes to my mind for everything from scientologists to pigeon fanciers is not-for-profit/non-profit organizations/corporations/associations, but you'd maybe have to tailor it to your special needs and specify non-political non-profits or something.

          Or could you not stretch "civic organizations" and its variants in a similar way to suit your purposes?

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_organization

          Often translated on its own as obcanske sdruzeni according to Anglicko-cesky glosar terminilogie neziskoveho sektoru.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2010
            I don't know, Melvyn.
            It's not from the translation project. I'm just reading "Trestný
            poriadok" and it's mentioned there together with "dôveryhodná
            osoba". E.g. § 5 (1):
            "Záujmové združenie občanov alebo dôveryhodná osoba
            môžu ponúknuÅ¥ prevzatie záruky za dovŕšenie
            nápravy odsúdeného a žiadaÅ¥ o jeho podmienečné
            prepustenie z výkonu trestu odňatia slobody.............."
            Asking just out of curiosity (and to add it to my glossary [:)] ).

            R.

            > It's an awkward one IMHO because on the one hand your term excludes
            political movements, but then on the other hand it covers trade unions,
            which can often be pretty closely tied to political movements and
            parties, surely.

            > First umbrella term that comes to my mind for everything from
            scientologists to pigeon fanciers is not-for-profit/non-profit
            organizations/corporations/associations, but you'd maybe have to tailor
            it to your special needs and specify non-political non-profits or
            something.

            > Or could you not stretch "civic organizations" and its variants in a
            similar way to suit your purposes?

            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_organization
            >
            > Often translated on its own as obcanske sdruzeni according to
            Anglicko-cesky glosar terminilogie neziskoveho sektoru.

            > BR
            >
            > M.
            >
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rad" grabanrad@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, Igor. I'm not sure whether religious groups or trade unions
            are
            > > classified in English speaking world as citizens' interest groups.

          • Pavel
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2010
              Hi,
              The following are translations that Marta Chroma suggests in her dictionary:
              ~é sdruzení obcanu: association of citizens (standing surety for s.o.'s rehabilitation); (local, professional) interest group; ~é sdruzení právnických osob: professional association of legal entities

              P.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2010
                Again, Pavel. I'm not convinced that e.g. skupina spolupracovníkov
                could be called "association". I was thinking about it a little bit more
                and thought of something like "relevant community". What do you think
                people?

                R.